• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Thought this thread might appreciate these photos. Finally got around to photographing my complete "rainbow of shell" in LHS. Yes, it's not a "true" rainbow, since half are Brooks Brothers and half are Alden, but the colors are all there... at least until somebody does a #4 LHS special makeup... Tom, you didn't hear that!
sly.gif

Sorry for the somewhat overcast lighting, but that's what passes for sunlight this time of year, and it's brighter than it has been for awhile, actually.

From left to right: BB black, Alden cigar, BB #8, Alden mahogany, Alden ravello, BB whiskey.
IMG_9044.JPG

And a closer shot:
IMG_9048.JPG

LHS is the most underrated Alden shoe

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I got my whiskey longwings a few weeks ago but didn't get around to wearing them until today. I commented when I got them in this thread about how the color on the left shoe was 2-tone and posted a picture. people said it would even out

since today was the first time I wore them, it was really the first time i saw them outside in natural light. the 2 colors are pretty striking in natural light.

again, is this normal?

Neilius

Reaction score
The point is, the shoe is supposed to be an "all-weather walker," which is just nonsense.
It's a great sole as long as you don't wear it on wet pavement.

Jorge

Reaction score
SCB, that doesn't seem right. YES I know the cordovan absorbs the dye differently, but ALDEN is dealing with a lot of leather, I think they should be able to get a pair of shoes to match better. I could see two pairs not looking alike but one shoe not matching it's mate is a qc issue imho.
Not bashing Alden, I'm a 20 plus year customer (cordovan and calf shoes) of the company, they just seem not to be dealing well with their renewed popularity.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Tripped over a rock in the office today and scuffed the top of my cigar PTBs. Was skeptical of the "just brush it" repair tip but this is how it looked after 20 seconds of brushing. Kind of amazing. I'll do more when I wax them eventually, as you can see some scuffs that didn't totally brush out.

vY8na.jpg

With that kind of scuffing, you may also want to employ the "rub real hard with your thumb" technique. That and a bit of wax and no one but you will be able to tell.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
On another note, those who have cordovans...do you guys always pre order? The only 2 that I was able to get right away were #8 and cigar. Whiskey, ravello, and black are pre ordered for me. I don't mind the wait however.

I actually rarely pre-order. There are so many styles that pop up at Shoemart and other places that I tend to buy as they appear. I do have a couple things on pre-order with Sherman Brothers, because they are my local store and I like to support them.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
so I got my whiskey longwings a few weeks ago but didn't get around to wearing them until today. I commented when I got them in this thread about how the color on the left shoe was 2-tone and posted a picture. people said it would even out

since today was the first time I wore them, it was really the first time i saw them outside in natural light. the 2 colors are pretty striking in natural light.

again, is this normal?

That's a bit excessive. I also wish that some of these issues were caught at the retail level. Why not pull aside a pair that looks like that and hand them back to your Alden rep? Besides the obvious, which is that they do not want to lose the profit on a pair of cordovans.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
That's a bit excessive. I also wish that some of these issues were caught at the retail level. Why not pull aside a pair that looks like that and hand them back to your Alden rep? Besides the obvious, which is that they do not want to lose the profit on a pair of cordovans.

As customers, we should not accept those. The more customers who start sending those back, the less it will be tolerated by the retailers and it will then get back to Alden.

If a customer accepts delivery of shoes like that, then the retailer and Alden get away with it and will continue to push the limits of what they think they can get away with.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb

again, is this normal?

yes that's bad, but more importantly I finally got to see whiskey with khaki! I think it actually looks nice

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
For the Trubalance last (Indys, 405s, 403s):

Is a size 11EE a longer shoe (as well as a wider shoe) than 11E, than 11D?

Or are the lengths of all 3 the same? Only difference in width?

Please let me know if you have had experience iwth Trubalance sizes and know the answer.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
I actually rarely pre-order. There are so many styles that pop up at Shoemart and other places that I tend to buy as they appear. I do have a couple things on pre-order with Sherman Brothers, because they are my local store and I like to support them.
With Shoemart, it is kind of tricky because it doesn't indicate any pre-order. You have to call and verify the shoes are in stock prior. My black and whiskey cordovans are on pre-order from Shoemart.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
For the Trubalance last (Indys, 405s, 403s):

Is a size 11EE a longer shoe (as well as a wider shoe) than 11E, than 11D?

Or are the lengths of all 3 the same? Only difference in width?

Please let me know if you have had experience iwth Trubalance sizes and know the answer.

I don't think there is any length difference if all the shoes are the same number size like above. If you go to a different width, only the width changes from what I understand.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
I don't think there is any length difference if all the shoes are the same number size like above. If you go to a different width, only the width changes from what I understand.
OK, thank you. Are you absolutely sure (from your own personal experience) that there is no length difference, or is that just your understanding (like mine)? I don't want to waste any more money, you see...

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Dr. Jones
6bb0a440.jpg

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
OK, thank you. Are you absolutely sure (from your own personal experience) that there is no length difference, or is that just your understanding (like mine)? I don't want to waste any more money, you see...

No, I'm not absolutely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads