• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Quite durable imo. That was my biggest concern prior to ordering my first one, and Raph (correctly) assured me it would hold up well.

+1. This was my concern aswell. I feared it would be to soft and fragile. And I was told both by fellow SF members and my tailor that it would hold up quite good. So far it has.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
Looking forward to having this made up:

R0010327.jpg

Looks amazing. I have heard its close to extinct now.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II

Funny, in going through old threads as part of my SF education, this fabric gets universal praise. I wonder why they would stop making it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Let's try this again

Buttons are 1/4" too close but I'll live with it. And ignore the pants...I've dropped about 10 lbs and need to get them altered.

5526962288_bdaf20d7ac_z.jpg

Sorry TRINI but this does not look good on you. Fit is very much off IMO for a bespoke garment. Everything looks top heavy, the extended shoulders, the ultra wide lapel with belly (I would go negative belly for you if you really want to keep that lapel width), it's too long overall, sleeves have no shape and are too wide, the open quarters are cut in an awkward shape. The collar seems to hug your neck very well so that's good, the buttoning looks correct. Shirt, tie and shoes are A++ IMO.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I heard so too and I feel lucky to have been able to get these 3m. Looks and feels lovely. I'm debating now how and with whom to make it up. Don't want to rush it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I heard so too and I feel lucky to have been able to get these 3m. Looks and feels lovely. I'm debating now how and with whom to make it up. Don't want to rush it.

Does Welsh & Jefferies still travel to Switzerland? I have always heard great things about Malcolm Plews.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Does Welsh & Jefferies still travel to Switzerland? I have always heard great things about Malcolm Plews.
I am not sure if they still do. I had a few things made there, though not by Malcolm Plews, as he did not do any traveling. Very few SR and Italian tailors travel to Switzerland (come to think of it, I am not aware of any Italian ones that do), and if they do, it is often to Geneva and not to Zurich, where I am located (and instead of driving to Geneva, I can almost as easily travel to Italy or fly to London...). Very few local bespoke tailors (if any) here as well. I sometimes don't really understand it, as I should think there would be a market for it. Most people are satisfied with well-known luxury brands and MTM, I guess.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm wet around the mouth to get my navy windowpane made up. Just had a fitting with the grey herringbone and dear god, it may be the sweetest fabric I've ever held...softer than some cashmeres I've had.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I'm wet around the mouth to get my navy windowpane made up. Just had a fitting with the grey herringbone and dear god, it may be the sweetest fabric I've ever held...softer than some cashmeres I've had.

Are these pictured in the thread here? Would love to have a glimpse.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to having this made up:

R0010327.jpg

Golden bale ...

My favourite fabrics...

I have a navy suit made of it...

Love it.

C&A

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
That looks pretty nice, C&A. At least judging from your fuzzy photos. Looks like they do the full front dart down to the hem like the Neapolitans. And no padding at all in the shoulder, yes?

Looks pretty good from what I can see, L. I like the shoulder treatment and clean sleeves.

Thanks gents. It's indeed a full dart no padding.

I'm still in doubt whether to reserve the shirt shoulder for sport coats and summer suits and have an unpadded slightly roped shoulder for my business suits. Will see in two weeks when I have a fitting for 3 other suits.

In the meantime I received a W Bill Donegal (machine woven 14 oz if I'm not mistaken; will check the number when I get home) to which some minor changes were made after the last fitting.

WBillfront2.jpg

WBillinside1.jpg

WBillinside2.jpg

Posted some more pictures in Parker's Donegal thread.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's try this again

Buttons are 1/4" too close but I'll live with it. And ignore the pants...I've dropped about 10 lbs and need to get them altered.

Buttons look indeed a bit too close for my taste, but you seem to be happier with the jacket with two buttons, so that's clearly more important. Was that the only change made?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Buttons look indeed a bit too close for my taste, but you seem to be happier with the jacket with two buttons, so that's clearly more important. Was that the only change made?

For now, yes.

I really need to get the waist taken in a bit so will be dropping it off today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads