• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A bit too much going on here.

It looks fine from a distance but up close it appears a bit busy. Now, the patterns, in terms of scale and differentiation, are combined quite well. I think I am put off by my dislike of the square and tie. The former I just don't like. The latter is better, but I have a general prejudice against all but the simplest paisleys and most red ties. I am just not a big fan of the way this all mixes together.

That same suit and shirt with a silver or gold (dull) or yellow or pale, pale green tie would be killer.

With a different square.

I'll agree regarding the square. I find the tie works well with the suit though - old school American style.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old Dog - one of your best fitting jackets in my opinion. Looks cozy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
re: olddog - I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

re: pandarts - the color of these brown shoes is a couple tinges too light for a charcoal suit and the rest of the outfit. Square looks like a match to the shirt (at least from where the photo was taken). Tie is the right color IMO but it looks a bit cheap (twill satin?)

re: orgetorix - agree with Manton. I really do not like that tie though. I do like the shirt. Something about the shirt collar spread and tie knot does not work very well with body and face proportions but I can't quite put my finger on it

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some cases I think it is bargain hunting that leads to the excess of odd colors and patterns.

Manton, I am enjoying your feedback. Thanks for sharing your expertise. I am always impressed that you can be comprehensive and, at the same time, consistent in your various opinions.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

I agree with you on the trousers, but the jacket seems to have better shape than most of Old Dog's stuff.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Ah what the hell. As my style has been progressing more towards, what I understand as conservative business dress, I figured I might as well drop a fit or two in here...

Retro_020711_01.jpg

Retro_020911_02.jpg

Retro_020911_01.jpg

Retro_020911_04.jpg

These are both good and quite conservative business dress. I like the second better mostly because I don't like the first tie. Obviously, the shoes in the second make the ensemble less conservative, but in a good way. Also, nice use of a solid tie to balance out a patterned jacket and shirt.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

All the parts here are nice. This is getting into fairly bold territory, however. I am one to talk as I am wearing a chalk stripe DB today too. But I think it would have been "calmer" to wear a darker shoe. Not necessarily black but a darker brown.

The lapels are pretty F-U. I think I would ditch to the tie clasp to make the whole less conspicuous, and I no longer like ticket pockets on city clothes.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are both good and quite conservative business dress. I like the second better mostly because I don't like the first tie. Obviously, the shoes in the second make the ensemble less conservative, but in a good way. Also, nice use of a solid tie to balance out a patterned jacket and shirt.

Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

So how does today's look fit in?

Gitanes_031411_01.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
re: olddog - I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

+1

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I no longer like ticket pockets on city clothes.
I am kind of nonplussed by ticket pockets on DBs in general. Is this normal or should I seek counseling?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

So how does today's look fit in?

Gitanes_031411_01.jpg

It's good. I am not in love with the tone of the tie. And, of course, smoking is bad for you.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback. So how does today's look fit in?
Gitanes_031411_01.jpg

I like how your tie matches your cigarettes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton, can cavalry twill be used for conservative business dress suiting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads