• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Thanks sazon. I've worn them only three times…winter weather isn't conducive to leather soled footwear. Thinking of getting them Vibram'ed. The chukka is my favorite in shell and I really want a pair in whiskey & cigar to complete the set. Never can have too many shoes or boots. : )

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people think of crepe soles? These look pretty nice except for the crepe soles IMO. The Roy Boot with Horween chamois:
1950.jpg
http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1950
alden-roughroy.png

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Crepe - Extremely comfortable. They look very casual, and the edges of the crepe that are visible tend to look "frayed" - also, if you tend to pronate, they do not offer good support.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
The front leather on the crepe sole doesn't hold up to water and snow well like the rest of the sole. I wish they'd change that.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
The front leather on the crepe sole doesn't hold up to water and snow well like the rest of the sole. I wish they'd change that.
I guess you have to try to walk only on your heels in the snow then.
smile.gif
Personally, I would prefer a commando sole over a crepe sole. The crepe sole seems like too much of an in-between to me.

Neilius

Reaction score
It's true. The plantation sole is fine, but the leather tip is stupid. I bought some "all weather walkers" six months ago, and the leather tip already looks like paper mache. Dumb idea. I'm going to have to take them to a shoemaker and have it cut out and replaced by Vibram or something.
Also: Why not more suede offerings? I love Alden suede, but there just isn't enough out there. And they should try more colors. I'd buy 'em all.

borderline

Reaction score
Tripped over a rock in the office today and scuffed the top of my cigar PTBs. Was skeptical of the "just brush it" repair tip but this is how it looked after 20 seconds of brushing. Kind of amazing. I'll do more when I wax them eventually, as you can see some scuffs that didn't totally brush out.

vY8na.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Pulled out my #8 captoe boots to wear this morning and I noticed a small indentation on the left side. At first I thought I nicked it, but then I thought it would take quite a brute force to do this much damage and the color on top would be scratched off. It doesn't really bother me much, but I'm curious to see if anyone else got this 'imperfection' from Alden? BTW they weren't seconds.
4hqcl1.jpg

2yuwncy.jpg

There's frequently a notch where the two ends of the welt meet on Aldens. Alden obviously doesn't consider this a flaw, although they seem to be the only manufacturer where this is normal.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing to be concerned with, they are Alden's....they pretty much all have their minor flaws and if that is the only thing wrong with them then I say you got a winner of a pair. Don't take that the wrong way, I love Alden boots, but they never seem to have perfect fit/finish in my experieince (and I've had a fair bit of experience with them).

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
I guess you have to try to walk only on your heels in the snow then.
smile.gif

Personally, I would prefer a commando sole over a crepe sole. The crepe sole seems like too much of an in-between to me.

Ha! The leather front looks like a bad doggie chew toy after awhile. I hear you on the commando sole bought a pair of AF 32's for the winter...calf chukka with the commando sole. Love 'em.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, those who have cordovans...do you guys always pre order? The only 2 that I was able to get right away were #8 and cigar. Whiskey, ravello, and black are pre ordered for me. I don't mind the wait however.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Tripped over a rock in the office today and scuffed the top of my cigar PTBs. Was skeptical of the "just brush it" repair tip but this is how it looked after 20 seconds of brushing. Kind of amazing. I'll do more when I wax them eventually, as you can see some scuffs that didn't totally brush out.

vY8na.jpg

Pretty amazing, actually.

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
What do people think of crepe soles?

These look pretty nice except for the crepe soles IMO. The Roy Boot with Horween chamois:

1950.jpg

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1950

I have had 2 pairs of crepe soled Aldens. They are very comfortable and last a long time -- great for the rain too. The leather toe does wear down but this doesn't affect the overall durability, I think it looks kind of cool actually.

FENWAY

Reaction score
^ I know its been mentioned before, but the double waterlock leather tip on the crepes would certainly look a lot better IMO

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add my positive vote for crepe. The leather tip may wear down a little fast, especially if you wear them when wet a lot, but overall it's a great sole and super comfortable. I have comando and the neoprene Indy sole as well and the crepe is definitely the most comfortable in my experience. Anytime I'm going to be doing a lot of walking or standing I reach for my Roys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads