• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, good post coldforge...Teger doesn't even make sense to me.

You are certainly right, coldforge. I mean theres a thread about why most people in NYC wear black. I'd like to think there is a reason, and its a culmination of many things, the environment being one of the main things I think.

There's a reason why monks seclude themselves and wear robes. There's a reason why colleges are filled with people wearing hoodies and sweatshirts with the schoolname plastered all over. I feel its tied to the purpose people have found for themselves. I feel its as you said, an expression of their culture.

There are a ton of sociological reasons as to why people dress a certain way. There's a reason why office jobs have certain norms you must adhere to, and why dress codes are so strict in certain places. There's a reason why your environment sometimes begs of you a certain manner of dressing, and it has a lot to do with culture and societies norms.

Also, I judge as well just as others to do me, so..so be it. Its mainly towards the drone types (northface, uggs, polos, etc).

Originally Posted by coldforge
Could be. People flame each other here so much that I have given up on trying to remember who anyone is, or whether they're generally a dick or not, and just approach each thread like I've never met any of you before, Memento steeze.

yah, I am the same way. Lots of internet grudges. I mean look at Uncontrol..I get pissed at him that one day and now we are ok again. Dunno why people take **** so seriously. Tbh, **** you novelty...I put up with so much **** from many people in so many threads. So, why do people who wear W+H and **** get a free pass? Oh ya I know why! Seriously, you're telling me this ****, when pretty much getting a premium membership status is buying a ******* ToJ.

in fact I tried to get a name change, but it seems like I would have to donate to even get that.

coldforge

Reaction score
Speaking of monks, I just dropped by the dry cleaners to have du put a button back on, and I'm 99% certain that the guy at the front had a bunch of monk's robes spread out on the counter.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the difference betwen you and me lane is i don't pretend to be anything than a dude who likes wearing a leather jacket and some jeans.

you're pretentious without the e-dick to back it up.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
i think teger is just fed up with he percieves as lane's "bullshit" (starting fights, talking out of his ass, etc.)

Lane, I think you'd do a lot better in SZ. Here, nobody is going to take you seriously because you claim to be an enthusiast when in reality your interest in fashion involves dressing in a single brand head to toe. For people here, there's more to being "into fashunz" than that.

If one brand is making everything you want, and you have limited resources to purchase with, why not buy from a single brand? No sense in buying from multiple brands for the sake of a diversity you don't even want.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'd type something long out but on a phone but the reason Lane is full of **** is because Julius is a for profit business and most of what he thinks is phillsophy is marketing.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
If one brand is making everything you want, and you have limited resources to purchase with, why not buy from a single brand? No sense in buying from multiple brands for the sake of a diversity you don't even want.

cuz he subscribes to a common theme here that you're unoriginal for buying something from one brand/one color, etc. Yah, this stuff is expensive ass shizz, its cheaper than rick so I buy it moreso because of that. In my latest fit I was wearing 3 different brands, am I magically more original for you now?
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Teger
I'd type something long out but on a phone but the reason Lane is full of **** is because Julius is a for profit business and most of what he thinks is phillsophy is marketing.

so? I'm well aware, and even then I still am happy reading into it that much. Its the whole reason why its a hobby. Plus, like it or not there are some tenets which these designers do subscribe to. For example Ann...doesn't advertise. CCP doesn't, and he is the most extreme example of that. Horikawa, I dunno how much he believes what the brand image is displaying. However, based upon his past it seems somewhat genuine, and even if money has changed him...it still doesn't matter because to me..its cool to read into **** that much. Its the same as star wars fans who have to learn about the whole universe even if it doesn't exist in reality.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
So, why do people who wear W+H and **** get a free pass? Oh ya I know why! Seriously, you're telling me this ****, when pretty much getting a premium membership status is buying a ******* ToJ.
Please explain what this means. I'm serious I don't understand what you're saying here.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It's an attack on me because i'm happy wearing just a leather jacket.

I'm not hating on brandwhoring. Brands have a cogent aesthetic and they look good together. It's fine if your goal is to look good. But if your #1 priority is "style" then it's a pretty lame way to go about it. One gothninja brand head to toe is the fashion equivalent of Netdecking (MTG whattup).

In fact, I could give a **** about lane's aesthetic. I just think he personally is a jerk who constantly attacks people, and part of that is a philosophy that would be better suited elsewhere.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Please explain what this means. I'm serious I don't understand what you're saying here.

meant to say head to toe W+H, also the fact that buying a ToJ and pairing it with a bunch of ugly **** seems to let you obtain acceptance here.

plus, like uncontrol said. Its way more practical. BBS and Rick prices are astronomically higher, so its actually more practical for me to get more julius. Even though I own rick, and eventually plan to get BBS.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
But those people don't claim to be expressing some sort of inner philosophy or be deeply considering the meaning of the silhouette of their fit. W+H has traditionally been good, slim fitting basics with minimal details and reasonably well made. There's nothing really more to it.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i want a berny backpack
tumblr_li1vppEhxj1qcht0d
or this instead
tumblr_li0wwsQmXY1qzcm07

tumblr_li0wwi7lQ91qzcm07
tumblr_li0wv49mbH1qzcm07

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how does it affect you if thats my reasons for buying it? I didn't even start mentioning my intellectual reasons for getting into the brand until someone started badgering me for wanting to intellectualize my style. Tbh, I think its just the fact that certain personalities are more inclined to do so than others.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Heres the deal lane. You are creating a hierarchy of brands based on your perception of what the brand represents. Sadly you don't know what these brands represent because all you spout is meaningless philosophical pseudo intellectual bullshit that is 90% marketing. Instead of making objective judgements to support your statements you resort to meaningless sweeping generalizations that reveal your ignorance of the subject matter. Also you are just personally irritating. You want to talk about motivation? Fine, but when you tell me I can never dare understand the intricacy of your personal aesthetic I know you're full of ****. And while there's nothing wrong about wearing only one brand, there's an issue when someone who does it talks authoritatively about a lot of brands.

And the worst part is you're not even original. There's been fifty posters with the same unique perspective as you. You're just especially annoying.

ryannn

Reaction score
I burned my Totino's pizza rolls reading this on-going argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads