• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tea Appreciation

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
A while back I started a thread here on SF in order to become a regular tea drinker. I've definitely come a long way since then. I regularly drink anywhere from 2-4 cups a day (loose leaf of course!).

My current morning rotation:

Earl Grey (from AdagioTeas)
Irish Breakfast (Adagio)

Afternoon:

Masala Chai (Adagio)

Evening:

Golden Monkey (Tehku, local tea shop at home)
Lady Earl Grey (Tehku)

I'm particularly fond of Black teas, but I'm looking to branch out. I would love any and all recommendations. I'm also especially interested in becoming familiar with Darjeelings, so any recommendation for good vendors and leaves in particular would be really helpful.

Just wanted to stir up a discussion with other fellow SF'ers who are regular tea drinkers. What's in your cup atm?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Mariage Freres makes some really nice ones. I've always loved the Earl Grey French Blue in the morning and Rouge Bourbon at night. I've been buying fresh Chamomile and Lavender and brewing them, but I prefer the dried blends.

Or, if you're well-heeled, you could just go for T601:

"This tea is harvested exclusively with golden scissors and only from the top of the tree which is the tea bud. It's then sun dried and placed into closed containers to slightly heat the tea leaves so they can release the polyphenols that they contain and give a yellowish colour to the leaves and a very soft and flowery taste," said Mallochet. The tea is then painted with 24 carat gold flakes which, in Asia, are considered very good for you, and give the tea a beautiful golden shimmer. Mallochet claims that the gold provides nutrition, as well -- it's a mineral, after all.

cladnin

Reaction score
You're missing a great aspect of tea with your lack of green, yellow, white and oolong (IMO). If you truly like black tea as much as you say, get a darjeeling and learn to love it. This is just a small list of what I have on hand right now, but these are some of my favorites on hand right now.

Green:
Dragonwell (longjing) - standard green to have around.
Angel - a premium bold green (and comes with a price tag, and tends to come in larger quantities only, but highly acclaimed). I get mine from Vital in SF. The first 3-4 cups are a kick-in-the-gut-cleanliness (strong); the last 3-4 will be delightfully sweet, citrusy, but still provide the unique feeling of cleanliness - I've found no better tea for detox personally.

White:
Peony (bai mudan) is a good start - it's what really brought me to good tea.
Silver needle (bai hao yin zhen) is a must for any tea drinker, IMO. Extremely delicate / fruity with a background of sweetness.
Snowbud (xue ya) - I keep this on hand because it's economical, delicate and slightly sweet.

Oolong:
Monkey Picked (tieguanyin) - my current oolong drinker. Not as bold as many oolongs, but earthy and fantastic.
Dancong - Very high in oxidation, giving it a grey-black hue and taste that you would probably like.
Royal Red Robe - (da hong pao) - I suggest this to you as it is very close to a black tea, and being you have nothing but blacks listed, this is certainly up your alley. 80% oxidation gives it a red, vibrant liquor and taste close to that of black. It's literally one of the most oxidized oolongs.

Black:
Get some darjeeling of some kind. Each estate will vary a great deal. Find something you like and stick with it. Greys are great, but darjeeling is like the cognac of black tea. I'm currently drinking a estate 2nd summer that is extremely bold, dark and vibrant. Darjeeling have a very finicky lifestyle - while I recommend savoring all your tea, it must be drank as soon as possible (from the brew), as it will bolt randomly after the first minute.

sidamo

Reaction score
The best tea I have found locally is jasmine pearl green tea from China. The tea leaves are rolled into round 'pearls' by hand and scented/flavored with jasmine. It is available at the local Wegmans for about $75-$80 per pound if I remember correctly. A little pricey for tea, but it is well worth it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Mariage Freres makes some really nice ones. I've always loved the Earl Grey French Blue in the morning and Rouge Bourbon at night. I've been buying fresh Chamomile and Lavender and brewing them, but I prefer the dried blends. Or, if you're well-heeled, you could just go for T601:
Have you tried Marco Polo?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Yes, I thought it was wretched.

I enjoy smelling it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it smells fruity...tutti frutti.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a can of loose tea leaves sitting on my office desk at all times. It's jasmine today.
And those fancy shmancy new age fruit and spice infusion 'teas' belong in the trash can.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Have a can of loose tea leaves sitting on my office desk at all times. It's jasmine today.
And those fancy shmancy new age fruit and spice infusion 'teas' belong in the trash can.

You do know that Jasmine is no puro, right?

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cladnin
You're missing a great aspect of tea with your lack of green, yellow, white and oolong (IMO). If you truly like black tea as much as you say, get a darjeeling and learn to love it. This is just a small list of what I have on hand right now, but these are some of my favorites on hand right now.

Green:
Angel - a premium bold green (and comes with a price tag, and tends to come in larger quantities only, but highly acclaimed). I get mine from Vital in SF. The first 3-4 cups are a kick-in-the-gut-cleanliness (strong); the last 3-4 will be delightfully sweet, citrusy, but still provide the unique feeling of cleanliness - I've found no better tea for detox personally.

White:
Silver needle (bai hao yin zhen) is a must for any tea drinker, IMO. Extremely delicate / fruity with a background of sweetness.
Snowbud (xue ya) - I keep this on hand because it's economical, delicate and slightly sweet.

Oolong:
Monkey Picked (tieguanyin) - my current oolong drinker. Not as bold as many oolongs, but earthy and fantastic.
Dancong - Very high in oxidation, giving it a grey-black hue and taste that you would probably like.
Royal Red Robe - (da hong pao) - I suggest this to you as it is very close to a black tea, and being you have nothing but blacks listed, this is certainly up your alley. 80% oxidation gives it a red, vibrant liquor and taste close to that of black. It's literally one of the most oxidized oolongs.

Black:
Get some darjeeling of some kind. Each estate will vary a great deal. Find something you like and stick with it. Greys are great, but darjeeling is like the cognac of black tea. I'm currently drinking a estate 2nd summer that is extremely bold, dark and vibrant. Darjeeling have a very finicky lifestyle - while I recommend savoring all your tea, it must be drank as soon as possible (from the brew), as it will bolt randomly after the first minute.

Thanks for taking the time to write up this!

I'll focus my efforts on Whites and look into Darjeelings.

Any specific online vendors I should look into? I hear Tea Emporium is good for Darjeelings.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cladnin

Green:

White:

Oolong:

Black:

Of the stuff you list, probably Oolong and Darjeeling is the most accessible in the west, decent longjing and Peony are harder to come by. Haven't really seen any good da hong pao in London so far, though definitely easier to buy more variety of tea in London than NYC.

twdawson

Reaction score
+1 on Mariage Frères ; Marco Polo personally...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads