• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
if you realized it was a hobby you would stop over intellectualizing it. clothing is clothing, end of story. yes everyone has different reasons for buying clothing or participating in sf and following fashion, but stop reading into everything so much. its annoying and it masquerades as real discussion (which it isn't). if you have serious questions go see a therapist

so if I do it for intellectual reasons, whats wrong? Am I hurting anyone by doing this? You might not be getting this cuz the brands you buy might not cater to that. Its fine though.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
so if I do it for intellectual reasons, whats wrong?
everyone does everything for 'intellectual' reasons. although, if you're trying to imply that your interest in clothing is somehow a reflection of your unique special flower appreciation for the world -- basically an academic interest, i'd question why you have such a rigid aesthetic and bother posting in waywt at all. anyway my point still stands - stop over thinking things. i really hope you aren't this insufferable irl.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
oh i didn't see your lame little dig at me. not to be enter in a dick-waving contest, cause it really doesn't mean much, but you know that i know a lot more about the brands you like than you do, right? and that i've actually seen and tried on stuff like CCP, rick, etc, instead of just viewing it in the SZ recent purchases thread?

i like the brands i like for a lot of reasons. i dont feel like explaining it, but trust me, my justification is probably a lot more coherent and thought out than yours (which, at its heart, is probably just look at me!)

as I said: you are really, really, really insufferable on this website. please change.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive seen it up close as well. How are you being any less insufferable by making all these assumptions bout me.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
if you realized it was a hobby you would stop over intellectualizing it. clothing is clothing, end of story. yes everyone has different reasons for buying clothing or participating in sf and following fashion, but stop reading into everything so much. its annoying and it masquerades as real discussion (which it isn't). if you have serious questions go see a therapist

People intellectualize their hobbies all the time, though? Just because something is a hobby doesn't mean it's devoid of intellectual merit. Not to say the SZ group et-al doesn't read too much into it, but ...

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for example, SS2011 julius collection was created with influences from a certain philosophical viewpoint. Mine is related to it tremendously, and I gained a slightly better perspective on it by researching the book and ideas involved with the collection. Is it really a big deal if I care that much, and you don't?

Like you said its a hobby, some people obsess over things like I do. In fact every single hobby I've ever gotten into I obsess over. It even allowed me to become a good player in a scene I'm involved in.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random thought of the day.

I've never seen much mention of Bape on this site. Is it because it's hideously overpriced junk? I've never seen any of their products in person...but for the price, the material has to be high quality...right? Or is it just junk?

Also, no Rag and Bone threads?

drum

Reaction score
ive also realized that i wear like 5% of my wardrobe.

I had a similar realization about 2 or so years after I took an interest in clothes. I had a way too much stuff that I wasn't wearing but just keeping in my closet because they were grail items or just nice individual pieces. Sold off the bulk of it, and still keep a minimalist closet today.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
finally bought pokemon, huh

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

worship.gif

also, I guess I come off as a stupid douchebag when I type out this stuff on here. If I could tell you in words in real life the reasons why it means so much to me maybe you wouldn't think I was such an arrogant twit. Its just a genuine love for something that means a lot to me.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Im a phone but your quote about your personal philosophy and Julius blah blah is like the worst thing I've ever read.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok well...thats thats just your opinion mang

coldforge

Reaction score
Teger, why are you being such a dick? As far as I read it, Lane and slack tide and a couple other dudes decided to discuss some of the reasons why they pay so much attention to clothes and dressing, and it was only you who walked into the middle and said 'YOU SOUND LIKE A DICKWAD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP IT'S JUST CLOTHES'. I can't say I understand it. Personally, I see clothes as a direct, tangible expression of human culture, and I think there's a lot of intellectual meat in them for that reason. I guess I've just never understood the impulse to express displeasure and apparent discomfort with other people discussing something on an intellectual level, just because you don't feel like participating in that discussion yourself.

Anyway, I will continue this intellectual discussion, at the risk of being accused of 'overanalyzing' something! Snowman, I feel the same way, and I feel terrible about it. At first I was kind of proud that I was able to notice whether a suit fit well, or whether colors were well coordinated. Then I was proud that I noticed those things, and that I dressed better than most of the people I saw on the street. Now I feel really weird and kind of skeeved that I am instantly assessing and judging (usually poorly) nearly all the people that I see on the street.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think teger is just fed up with he percieves as lane's "bullshit" (starting fights, talking out of his ass, etc.)

Lane, I think you'd do a lot better in SZ. Here, nobody is going to take you seriously because you claim to be an enthusiast when in reality your interest in fashion involves dressing in a single brand head to toe. For people here, there's more to being "into fashunz" than that.

coldforge

Reaction score
Could be. People flame each other here so much that I have given up on trying to remember who anyone is, or whether they're generally a dick or not, and just approach each thread like I've never met any of you before, Memento steeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads