• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I might check 'em out too. Don't forget these Aussie classics: http://www.advancefootwear.com.au/ Plus Rossi boots have a Roller ripple sole http://www.rossiboots.com.au/catalog....asp?deptID=15
Went to Donny Target this morning to check them out - they only had the grayish not the brown shoe. I am no expert on shoe construction or quality, so I will make no comments on that. Size wise, I found it a little tricky with no half sizes - I seemed to be halfway between their size 10 and 11 - which is consistent with my 10.5 in dress shoes. Needless to say I decided to pass. In my ongoing quest for for khaki coloured casual pants I thought I would do a quick survey for potential candidates. Based on strazzaque's lead I tried on a pair of Industry jeans at DJ's - the material and colour were spot on, but the downside was that they were far too 'skinny jeans' for my liking. While more of a SW&D brand, they are now also stocking plain 100% wool v-neck jumpers with no branding for $79. Rodd and Gunn and RM Williams had a few - but I didnt have the time to try them on - any ideas on the fit? Somehow I imagine them to be rather 'old man' loose On my way out for some reason I found myself in SABA, and to my surprise the SA indicated that the rack that I was looking at was a further 50% off - so I picked two pairs of cotton pants in brown and light blue for $30 each (original ticket price was $179)! Still a bit of stock left if anybody in Melbourne's East is interested.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I'm no spring chicken (I'm 36) but I'm always the youngest person in the store...often by a few decades.

I have various friends who are 'big timers' but none of them would be seen dead in Henry Bucks. It's a shop for old men..and I don't know where the next generation of clientele are going to come from.

They already have a webstore BTW.

I suspect the value of HBs is that they are a one stop shop and certainly until recently were one of the few places that everything they stocked was quality and from recognised overseas brands.

Many men like to dress well and can afford to but have none of the obsessiveness of the online iGent. To be able to walk into a store and buy say 2 suits a sport jacket, trousers and shoes socks shirt and tie all of commiserate quality in say 1 hour shopping is well worth any premium price one might be paying over and above what the clothes might cost in London.

The other day I was looking at a Henry Bucks Italian cloth suit in an Op Shop. In the breast pocket was not, as I expected , a Hermes green leather breast wallet of precise dimensions, but some paper. It was a slip from an ATM transaction from last year. After withdrawing $1500 there was a balance of $337,800 left in the account. This is presumably an every day working account.

One assumes that this Henry Bucks customer wasn't sweating too much over saving $100 or so on a suit or pair of shoes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Just noticed in their catalogue that Target has suede desert boots on sale for $35. Not sure of the quality, fit eg, but I might check it out for a cheap knockabout casual option.

Originally Posted by fxh
I might check 'em out too.

Don't forget these Aussie classics:

http://www.advancefootwear.com.au/

Plus Rossi boots have a Roller ripple sole

http://www.rossiboots.com.au/catalog....asp?deptID=15

Myers also have a range - I think its Hush Puppies - not too expensive either - in a few different colours. Last time I looked I thought the toe box was a bit flat to my eye - I need to look again.

There s a cheap shoes store at Box Hill been there for years - stocked to the roof with all brand name shoes - Docs etc etc - and as cheap as you'll get - they have a few desert boots - one lot - the cheapest had a sand and a black for $39 - I though the black was ok except for white stitching which could be fixed with a bit of texta and the soles weren't your actual flat crepe but other than that ok.

Checky - re the sizes in Desert Boots (or as we knew them back in the day - Brothel Sneakers) a 1/2 size down would most likely work ok as they are pretty soft and unstructured and easily stretch to the foot all round. They aren't like leather shoes.

I was told by a mate that he got his pair of genuine Clarks at a shop somewhere up near Hardware Lane.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I entered Target while out getting groceries tonight. Well grog shop actually but its a long weekend and grog is a prime food group in Emoh Ruo.

No desert boots and when I arksed the nice young thing about Desert Boots she said " What are they" - I then arksed the door guy - he said they aren't delivered yet.

I meant to say too - Target has these thick paper measuring tapes hanging in their Mens Dept (presumably there is similar in Womens) . They are free and measure to 117 cm and have corresponding colour coded S, M, L, Xl etc for neck, waist, chest - double sided.

I accidentally grabbed about 10. Handy.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For slim flat front khakis, you may want to look at Oxford at DFOs or have a look at their website first. I hink they cost about 50 dollars and if you sign up to their club you might get 25 dollar gift card to use on top of that.

I think the shoe store near hardware lane might be the one around the corner from it on little bourke. They sell some outdoorsy corfort shoes stuff if i remember correctly.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I suspect the value of HBs is that they are a one stop shop and certainly until recently were one of the few places that everything they stocked was quality and from recognised overseas brands.

Many men like to dress well and can afford to but have none of the obsessiveness of the online iGent. To be able to walk into a store and buy say 2 suits a sport jacket, trousers and shoes socks shirt and tie all of commiserate quality in say 1 hour shopping is well worth any premium price one might be paying over and above what the clothes might cost in London.

The other day I was looking at a Henry Bucks Italian cloth suit in an Op Shop. In the breast pocket was not, as I expected , a Hermes green leather breast wallet of precise dimensions, but some paper. It was a slip from an ATM transaction from last year. After withdrawing $1500 there was a balance of $337,800 left in the account. This is presumably an every day working account.

One assumes that this Henry Bucks customer wasn't sweating too much over saving $100 or so on a suit or pair of shoes.

And the other point is that he had turfed it under a year so obviously not short of the readies....

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Sportscraft also do a good chino

I always suggest looking in the mass market stores like Target, K Mart, Big W, Rivers etc for chinos. You'll sometimes be surprised how good some of them are for very low prices. $20 or so. You have to try them on.

Myself Peter Christian chinos suit me well - I have about 6 pair.

truevision

Reaction score
planning to add to my shoe collection
dark brown medallion toe
tan cap toe oxford

what next ?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
planning to add to my shoe collection
dark brown medallion toe
tan cap toe oxford

what next ?

Wingtips and brogues...what size are you in UK/USA?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Wingtips and brogues...what size are you in UK/USA?

In suede. Everyone needs to own a pair of shoes in suede.

Tano

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers have a 25% corporate shopping event this friday. I recieved my card today so i will be buying a few items if anyone wants to share shipping to Perth conservative business dress.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Brooks Brothers have a 25% corporate shopping event this friday. I recieved my card today so i will be buying a few items if anyone wants to share shipping to Perth conservative business dress.
Just had a look, not to many items I really need or want at the moment. If I may ask out of curiosity, what are you ordering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads