• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what i mean is while you might miss out on certain items (eg jil keyhole neck) there will always be **** you want to cop. whether juilius or whoever makes it.

clothes is just clothes dude. holy grail and what not, there will always be more to buy, you'll always regret what you didnt buy, and whatever you did buy you get used to or even tired of

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
please tell me lane is just trolling and isn't serious please tell me lane is just trolling and isn't serious

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwoyeu
jet your sales thread is all messed up by imageshack
frown.gif

thanks for letting me know homie i haven't checked it in awhile

going to rehost and start new thread with a few more things using imgur

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what i mean is while you might miss out on certain items (eg jil keyhole neck) there will always be **** you want to cop. whether juilius or whoever makes it.

clothes is just clothes dude. holy grail and what not, there will always be more to buy, you'll always regret what you didnt buy, and whatever you did buy you get used to or even tired of

oh ya, you're definitely right. Its just I have a certain "plan" that I have with what im buying so I don't wanna deviate from it.

also, tween everything I said was serious. Feel free to try and troll me or whatever, lol.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
or maybe some people just aren't interested in partying?

going out and drinking with loud music and strangers is pretty much my idea of hell.

oh no, I do that, but its complicated. I've just gotten to a point where my pursuance of "style" has taken priority over everything besides school.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not trolling or saying you have to go to some frat party or anything.

just... go outside?

there's a whole world of objects and people right outside your door that will stimulate your senses wayyyy more than poring over some jpgs of leathers on yahoo japan will

actually what the hell am i saying, if college is a time for experimenting and figuring out who you are there is perfectly good reason to spend a portion of your life doing what you're doing. maybe it'll work out maybe it won't.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i sometimes wonder who i'm dressing up for and if I use clothing to fill a void (has always been an internal lurking suspicion)

Though, i can't identify the void if there is one. but i just can't shake the feeling. I used to think I spent the most money and made the most frivolous purchases while I was "mad" for whatever reason and as a result of whatever trigger. But lately....things have just been good all around (family+g/f+work+life balance), yet, I'm spending like my acc't is connected to the US mint.

if I didn't have a girlfriend who appreciates clothing and likes to discuss it, and help me take what we attempt and consider to be reasonably artful photography (using bare minimum stuff - i.e. 3g iphone and natural sunlight), I would probably lose a significant interest in dress/clothes.

I think it was Lanes comment (..."dude i have no life") that spawned the thoughts and made me inquire, myself, why I do what I do, and who I do it for. LTRS I am not picking on Lane for his comment, but it caused me to think about this stuff for some reason (0). It makes me question – if I didn’t have a solid core group of friends (granted, none SF-styled by any stretch), a girl who encourages me to explore alternative fashion options that may not be available at the mall (I know, I only wear w+h, harhar
smile.gif
) –--- would I possess the same enthusiasm and dedication to giving a crap what I look like.

I enjoy waywt outings because they A) cause you to think more critically about your outfit that day, obviously - and thus, hopefully, consistently make you look better as a result. B) For major critiques or smaller comments on some of the more subtle nuances with respect to styling that I don't have the eye to catch (such as people commenting on my hair last night) C) Get out of the house and suburbs and into the city (which in addition to a lot of other plusses, e.g, eating, tend to be the areas with nice backdrops). D) Immediately determine what looks good and what does not (helps you determine what you may want to sell). e.g. If I take 10 shots of me wearing one shirt, and no one looks good/flattering...theres a sign.

Has there been a thread that is specifically made for explaining when and why you started caring about dress (SW&D focused)? I think that would be an interesting topic.

/random fashion thoughts (edit; & self indulgence)

coldforge

Reaction score
^ It's sort of uncomfortable, but I think for me, right now, I will definitely confess buying too much clothes—not only from a financial angle but also from a sort of Buddhist angle. I definitely buy more **** than I need and am definitely sometimes not as juiced by a purchase as I am hoping, even if it's something I'm buying that moment. There's a very small element of compulsion there. And I'd like to say, well, I'll just stop buying **** and only dress well with what I have—and that's what I'm trying to do—but I think that's not the 100% most skillful angle because the fact is that caring as much as I/we/you, slack tide do about how I/we dress is almost necessarily going to feed back into trying to derive more and longer-term happiness by buying lots of stuff than is really feasible.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i use clothing to fill the emptiness in my soul...

seriously there reaches a point where you have to accept that in the real world: nobody gives a **** how you look, what brands you wear or how much your clothing costs. there's a reason that bill gates and steve jobs dress like marsupials, it's because it's just totally irrelevant to everything.

once you accept that and move you, you can view clothing as a hobby.

ive also realized that i wear like 5% of my wardrobe. need to sell everything and move into a shed.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not being able to wear casual clothes to my 9-5 has killed my interest in raw denim.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
I'm not trolling or saying you have to go to some frat party or anything.

just... go outside?

there's a whole world of objects and people right outside your door that will stimulate your senses wayyyy more than poring over some jpgs of leathers on yahoo japan will

actually what the hell am i saying, if college is a time for experimenting and figuring out who you are there is perfectly good reason to spend a portion of your life doing what you're doing. maybe it'll work out maybe it won't.

yup, its a toss up, but it does provide me with a great amount of happiness and sense of purpose even if its just a pursuance of material goods. Surprised I'm getting these types of responses, I figured I was going to be scolded.

You are right, very good post though. I try my best to balance myself though and not isolate myself too much.

Originally Posted by slack tide
i sometimes wonder who i'm dressing up for and if I use clothing to fill a void (has always been an internal lurking suspicion)

tbh, you have a good point. Maybe I'm doing it to fill a void since I don't interact with many people, since I have found it hard to find something I have in common. Its also my adherence to wanting to be me, at all costs. However, its a voluntary choice I've made throughout my life, and my styles purpose is for self-expression, basically projecting my ideas and thoughts.

Its also just done mainly cuz I think its ******* cool, and I would hate to go back to my lacoste polo days.

Originally Posted by Teger
i use clothing to fill the emptiness in my soul...

seriously there reaches a point where you have to accept that in the real world: nobody gives a **** how you look, what brands you wear or how much your clothing costs. there's a reason that bill gates and steve jobs dress like marsupials, it's because it's just totally irrelevant to everything.

once you accept that and move you, you can view clothing as a hobby.

ive also realized that i wear like 5% of my wardrobe. need to sell everything and move into a shed.

yah, its a hobby I think everyone already realizes that.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if you realized it was a hobby you would stop over intellectualizing it. clothing is clothing, end of story. yes everyone has different reasons for buying clothing or participating in sf and following fashion, but stop reading into everything so much. its annoying and it masquerades as real discussion (which it isn't). if you have serious questions go see a therapist

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while were soul searching, i find myself judging innocent bystanders on the daily. makes me feel like such a snob/douche.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads