• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about 1 button blazers?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
This. A 1 button jacket echoes the formality dinner jacket, which is traditionally 1 button if single-breasted. As such, it is highly incongruent to wear with jeans.

Good to know this. Cheers.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Imperishable Los Angeles tailoring icon and impresario Jack Taylor is a big promoter of one-button suits and (I presume) jackets.

They're a little offbeat but certainly sartorially acceptable...at least in my opinion.

I actually picked up a Jack Taylor one button peak lapel suit at a local thrift a few months ago.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the incorrect usage of blazer yet. Oh wait.
blush.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
1 button in any case is much more suitable as part of evening formal attire, it would look silly with jeans. I do not like 1 button blazers, but each to their own.

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
This. A 1 button jacket echoes the formality dinner jacket, which is traditionally 1 button if single-breasted. As such, it is highly incongruent to wear with jeans.

I don't think 1 button always echos the formal - the aforemention Huntsman do odd tweed jackets...

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One and four (remember those) button jackets slip into the realm of fashion - it may look "of the moment" right now, but in a year's time is will look dated. Stick to two or three buttons.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
a single button is a deal breaker for me. Its great for a dinner jacket, but not a blazer or sportcoat. Just my personal opinion.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Most people won't notice the lack of a superfluous button I'd say. It's a matter of how the blazer looks otherwise. The button won't make or break it IMO.
+1. With a lot of jackets, the 2nd button isn't very noticeable since it isn't buttoned anyways. Depends on the form of the jacket. I love the look of some 1 button jackets, but of course there are some that just look odd. It can look really good in a very fashion-forward "in fashion RIGHT THIS SECOND" way.
cool.gif
But when it comes down to it, it's 100% a matter of personal opinion and taste really.

Tuesday

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the incorrect usage of blazer yet.

Oh wait.
blush.gif

Yeah, I'm surprised it took until page 2 to get a mention.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
One and four (remember those) button jackets slip into the realm of fashion - it may look "of the moment" right now, but in a year's time is will look dated. Stick to two or three buttons.

+10000

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't do one-button. It's the OPPOSITE of stylish. People are going to three buttons now for a more dignified look, at least with suits. Go with a two-button and keep that bottom one open, and then, hey, it's one button for ya!

If you want to do different, go with a black blazer, too. Navy is a little stodgy. Also, if you get brass buttons on navy I'd kill myself. Brass buttons can work on black, but only if it's HIGH quality. Otherwise, go black on black or navy on navy. Hope this helps.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey

Erroneous! Erroneus on both counts!

H Huntsman has been making 1 button jackets forever and they're about as un-"of the moment" as it gets, I can understand that perhaps you don't like the style -personally I dislike 3 button suits- but you can't criticise it's longevity

Would this sports coat really look better with an unnecessary extra button stuck on there ruining the elegant lines of the jacket for absolutely no practical reason?
contact01.jpg

manny44

Reaction score
I think a one-button blazer can be very good, depending on how and where you plan to wear it to. I hope you will not for example wear it to work in a bank etc. But if you are just interested in the 80"s stuff as you put it there, then I guess you should go for it then.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manny44
I think a one-button blazer can be very good, depending on how and where you plan to wear it to. I hope you will not for example wear it to work in a bank etc. But if you are just interested in the 80"s stuff as you put it there, then I guess you should go for it then.

How is a 1-button jacket 80's? I know they were popular in the 60s but I never think 80s. The only person I can think of who worn them in the 80s was Bob Barker, but he continued to wear through his last episodes of The Price is Right and still wears them. They look the same now as they did then, never dated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads