• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
I have a 40 short suit that fit very well. I think lost about 11-12 lbs and 38 fits much better than 40. Can a 40 be taken in enough to fit like a 38 without throwing proportions off?

Yes.

Originally Posted by noobizor
I've got a white linen shirt with faint blue stripes. If I soaked it in a bowl of wine, could I end up with a pink and blue, RLPL-ish colored linen shirt, or just a ruined one?

(This always seems to work on TV
laugh.gif
).

No.

Originally Posted by ralphdog
Anyone know if the Allen Edmonds Shelton (walnut/brown) is made of corrected grain leather?

The AE term for corrected grain is "polished cobbler" and should state specifically if it is "polished". My understanding is the current Shelton offered by AE is not corrected grain. This is not to say AE hasn't offered the Shelton in corrected grain in the past, or may do so again in the future.

Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Two questions on Allen Edmonds shoes before I pull the trigger here:

1. AE mcallisters in walnut for 240. Is this a good deal or can I get them cheaper new?

2. This will be my second pair of shoes for my second suit. I already own a charcoal suit and black park aves. I am buyimg a navy suit soon and need a brown/tan pair. really like the walnut mcallisters but also have the option of brown strands. Can I make the walnut mcallisters work or are the brown strands safer?

1. For new non-second AE Mcs that's a pretty good deal. AE will occasionally have a sale through retailers that will allow you to get them for less, but those sales will be rare.

2. I think the Mcs or the Strand are pretty interchangeable. Consider a burgundy pair though, as that will allow you to wear them with your charcoal suit as well.

Originally Posted by Kensington
Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to J Press for a quality navy blazer with gold buttons?

Screenshot2011-03-13at91946PM.png

O'Connells is supposed to be pretty good, retails for $350.00. I do not own this model, but the clothing I do have from them is quality stuff.

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/blazers.php

The Anderson-Little model at $150 is worth it at that price point, but it is a wool blend, so if you can afford at least the Oconnells go with that.

http://www.andersonlittle.com/

Otacon238

Reaction score
Hey, I've just turned 20 and am looking to start updating my wardrobe in order to make it more respectable. Initially focusing on shoes, I would like to buy 2 or 3 pairs with a very modest budget of up to around £80 which is making the process a tad more difficult. As a newbie I'm not sure what styles/brands to go for but I've seen these which I like.

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-shop/175491-kg-tavi

http://www.asos.com/H-By-Hudson/H-By...rt=-1&clr=Grey

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More respectable meaning more conservative...then forget about both options.

Otacon238

Reaction score
I should have elaborated, I meant more respectable in relation to the kinds of shoes I wore previously, i.e. trainers all the time. So in essence I am looking for shoes to be worn in casual settings.

Farmgate

Reaction score
I found a midnight blue "casual" blazer on sale, and was wondering if it can still be considered casual if there is some minor padding in the shoulder? It looks slim, and cut beautifully, and the pockets look great. Everything about it says, "not a work suit" except of the minor padding.

My second question is: what can you wear with a midnight blue blazer? It looks black in either night or day.

My thought was a pair of dark washed jeans, or charcoal slim trousers. Should I stick with a true navy, or true black?

Thanks for any advice. Sorry I don't have a pic.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If you had to guess the collar height and length of the collar (at point) what would it be ?
'k bored and in need of another post
wink.gif
so I'll bite.
devil.gif
-height 2.456 inches, length double that.
...guesstimating the button Ø to be 14mm (0.55 inches), each line seems to have a width of ± 14/9 = 1.56 mm. Collar height would then appear to be 40 lines*1.56 = 62.4 mm or 62.4/25.4 = 2.456 inches, and collar length (80 lines) double that. Of course precise knowledge of fabric and/or button would help. Do your own interpolation.
tounge.gif

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to J Press for a quality navy blazer with gold buttons?

The Savation Army, Goodwill or the card table I'll set up on my lawn come June. Few things are as ubiquitous at thrifts as navy blazers with gold buttons.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I found a midnight blue "casual" blazer on sale, and was wondering if it can still be considered casual if there is some minor padding in the shoulder? It looks slim, and cut beautifully, and the pockets look great. Everything about it says, "not a work suit" except of the minor padding. My second question is: what can you wear with a midnight blue blazer? It looks black in either night or day. My thought was a pair of dark washed jeans, or charcoal slim trousers. Should I stick with a true navy, or true black? Thanks for any advice. Sorry I don't have a pic.
First, I fail to see how padding or absence thereof makes a suit any more or less casual. @ your second question: You've answered your own question. Anything that looks good in a black jacket will work with a midnight navy blazer. That said, I don't know of anything.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Minor padding, no big deal. What pants to wear, any pair you want except navy. And nothing will go better underneath it and for any casual occasion than a snow white lightly-starched spread collar shirt with the top two buttons undone. So there you have it. Go party.

alexanduh

Reaction score
those shoes look as though they should be worn with a suit. unless you plan on doing that dont bother. maybe you should save up a lil and buy some alden indys or something of the like.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Untitled.png
Can a tailor make this fit correctly or is it beyond hope?

stropko

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post, so hi. Also, I'm looking to get myself a nice pair of dull leather, versatile (I'll wear them quite a bit, both dressed up and down) oxfords. I was just roaming around the internet and came across these. The price seems a bit too good...what do you guys think of the shoes/the possible quality? Thanks! http://us.asos.com/ASOS-ASOS-Clean-P...RlcmJ5L1Byb2Qv

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stropko
Hey, this is my first post, so hi. Also, I'm looking to get myself a nice pair of dull leather, versatile (I'll wear them quite a bit, both dressed up and down) oxfords. I was just roaming around the internet and came across these. The price seems a bit too good...what do you guys think of the shoes/the possible quality? Thanks!
They are too good to be true. Go with a classic style with laces. Save your money and get a cap toe or brogued shoe from makers like Allen Edmonds or Alden (there are plenty of others too). If you don't want to spend that much, check out Florsheim Imperials. Try to limit black to a formal shoe and get colored shoes, brown, burgundy, tan, etc. This will give you more options to match/contrast your outfits. I hate parting with 400 or more for a pair of shoes, so getting wardrobed for my feet is going to take some time, maybe 4 or 5 years if I get one pair every 4 or 5 months. No doubt I will speed up the process or just end up getting more shoes than I need. Good luck!

officeboy

Reaction score
I picked this sports coat up for $50 (from $500) and it looks good but I noticed it has a funny wrinkle at the shoulder. Any idea what would cause this and is it something a tailor could fix (or press out?) I'll be going to get the roll taken out anyway. Also hows the fit? My first time to size down to a 38R (i'm a 39 chest and usually get a 40R)

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
those shoes look as though they should be worn with a suit. unless you plan on doing that dont bother.

Oh God, please don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads