• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with a scuffed up old SAB attaché?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I wouldn't carry it with business attire until it has seen a little love, but agree it will look great after getting hit with some conditioner and polish. Oh, and I envy you. I have never had perfectly polished shoes after their first wear.
frown.gif

I did not say I have perfectly polished shoes...I am just imagining a look. Also I do not think I can put polish on the case because it will rub off on to things.

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I am not interested in his relatives...he has not paid in months...I do not know definitely that he is dead all I know is that he owes me money and that none one has come forward to pay his debts.

It's this kind of thinking that makes me proud to be human.

604Coast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
It's this kind of thinking that makes me proud to be human.

Business is business.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Where can I buy SAB leather care products? Or what other products do you guys recommend?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not shoe polish or leather food and use it?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy SAB leather care products? Or what other products do you guys recommend?

Any good leather conditioner should do.
If you can get hold of some Saphir Renovateur, that would be great, but there are a host of other products that should still help it a lot.

I'm no expert, but I expect that some shoe cream (rather than polish) could also help to remove/cover up scratches and scuffs, once the leather conditioner has soaked in and the case has been buffed over.

It's a lovely case and should come up a treat after some care and attention.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score

AFAIK, SAB only makes leather feed. You can get it on the Brooks Brothers site, but I'd suggest giving Sterling & Burke a call to find out their pricing: classicluggage.com.

Regardless, you should keep the case. It will look fine with business attire (once you've conditioned it), especially if you are in an environment where an attache would not look odd in the first place.

Reaction score
Sir,
May I suggest a different tack. Someone who owns a SAB briefcase is fairly well to do, no doubt. What about the rest of the things? Are they nice as well?

If the fellow has died, he was either alone or had relatives. If he had relatives, they would be no doubt thrilled to have some of his belongings and happy to pay the back rent. Very likely they simply don't know he had a storage spot. Make some effort to chase things down. Don't you have a name, address, phone number, or credit card? It is easy to find out about people these days.

If the fellow is alive, perhaps his affairs are in disarray.

Don't be a scavenger through someone's belongings. Follow the Golden Rule.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604Coast
Business is business.

What a tiresome attitude. I hear this a lot where I work, where, oddly, I also hear people we do business with being castigated for getting better deals elsewhere or being perfectly legal and businesslike, though rather ungentlemanly in their dealings with us.

Seems "business is business" is only legitimate when it benefits the one uttering it.

Until the OP finds out what has happened to the tenant, I consider him a petty thief. Maybe he should have followed up the non-payment a little earlier.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
If the OP is in the business of renting storage units, then I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened. I doubt he has the time to chase down everyone who fails to pay their rent. Maybe he did the first time, or the second time, or the tenth time, but at some point, I imagine it gets old. That's why it's legal for him to do what he's done: this happens very frequently, and owners of these facilities should not be forced to hunt down everyone who fails to pay rent. The OP was probably required to give several forms of notice before forcibly entering the unit. If the renter or his relatives were so concerned, they would have followed up.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use this:
chainsaws0814247001158850084.jpg
Cover it in the stuff and leave overnight. Repeat a few times.

Sazerac

Reaction score
The OP deserves no flack whatsoever for his actions.

That is how storage units have always worked and the renter is apprised of this at the time they sign up.

Keeping the items is usually the only recourse facility owners have -- and very often the worth of the goods doesn't match the back rent.

I have a friend who used to buy these units at auction and sell the takings at the flea markets in Chelsea and the the (no longer extant) one on St. Marks. Sometimes he found treasure. Mostly he found stuff of only nominal value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads