• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer too short after having it altered?

Jan_

Reaction score
My tailoress cut off 3" from this blazer's length. NewYorkRanger once said that 1" is the maximum and anything beyond destroys the coat's balance. Could be true... Unfortunately I was so surprised when she said she can take more than one inch that I forgot to protest and let it happen.

(I know that the shoulders are a bit wide and don't comment on the shirt's collar or the tie, I just put it on quickly for the picture.)

So, what do you say? Too short? Are the buttom button and the pockets too low?
And if yes, still wearable?
Could it help to take the waist in a bit?

Merci for your opinions.

DHO7L.jpg

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length is fine - proportions thrown off (involving bottom button placement in context to bottom of jacket). The 1" rule should always be adhered to - always buy a jacket of the right length plus or minus an inch.

An old rule of thumb says jacket should fully cover the butt. But another rule of thumb says as long as it is long enough to cover 3/4 of your butt is fine as well. Usually if you are in proportion, with arms relaxed at side, your hand should grip the side of the jacket. If so, length is likely ok. Jacket seam should touch where fingers join the hand.

I would be more concerned about the rest of jacket fit than length - did you order that jacket one size too big?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short. Pockets are now too low. One inch would have been fine.
frown.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proportions are a little off now, with the pocket being too low.

The actual length is good, and if you were to only button the middle it would elongate your torso a little. If the pocket thing really bugs you then you could just tuck them in to make them look jetted?

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Length is fine - proportions thrown off (involving bottom button placement in context to bottom of jacket).

Right. Do you think I can do anything about it? Close only the top button, get rid of the bottom buttom? (I should make some pics tomorrow.)

I would be more concerned about the rest of jacket fit than length - did you order that jacket one size too big?
Yes. I ebayed it and took the risk. It's handmade from the brand that I got used to and I liked the colour very much. Well...

Originally Posted by Blackhood
If the pocket thing really bugs you then you could just tuck them in to make them look jetted?

I tried that but I'm not happy with it. Might be that I have to get used to it.

Hopefully I can wear it when going out in the evening--when people are drunk and think the fvcked up proportions are caused by their alcohol level...
smile.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jan_
Right. Do you think I can do anything about it? Close only the top button, get rid of the bottom buttom? (I should make some pics tomorrow.)

The bottom button cuts through the pocket just under the flap (quite typical proportion for suits), if bottom button too low, pocket too low. Getting rid of the bottom button would not help (on top of that you will have a button hole anyway).

I have a couple of jackets with low pockets like yours (well, maybe not quite as low), but it does not look all that bad.

Button the middle button - it is quite common on 3 button jackets to button just the middle. I do in any case habitually.

Originally Posted by Jan_
Yes. I ebayed it and took the risk. It's handmade from the brand that I got used to and I liked the colour very much. Well...

Ok, well no real harm. Some people may be very picky about the proportions on your jacket. I do not think too harshely of it - it looks fine. Wear it, use it, and abuse it. Next time, if you buy a jacket too long, just return it. Unless of course, you like slightly more whacky designs. By seems of it, you are like me, conservative with occasional taste for eccentricity.

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
yup looks a tad too short. still wearable though as most people probably won't notice

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
its somewhat off, and you will always know it.
but most folks and your drinking buddies and the girl your trying to make will never notice.
even being a little short it should go well with jeans.

cncrd

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a trick my tailor once tried for me on an L-length jacket that had a high button stance. He raised the pocket flaps about 3/4", so that they still covered the pocket opening, but gave the jacket better balance. It seems like a small adjustment, but having the flap that little bit higher worked to bring the shortened jacket back to a better proportion.

But looking at your jacket, it seems that the button positioning is really too low to do much. If you button the middle button only, you'll really see how much the balance is off now. It seems to look better with the top two fastened than it might with the middle one only.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
yup looks a tad too short. still wearable though as most people probably won't notice
I don't know. As a newbie, I do not possess the keen eye for the details experienced members have but looking at it there's a feeling of something not right about it - a sort of nagging discord. Do the part where the waist curves in appear much too low now as well and the buttons feel a bit in-between where they should be?

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Like everyone has mentioned it does make the pockets look slightly too low. But this is a clothing forum where people are used to looking at jackets and the issue has been pointed out in the question so everyone is aware.

Best to leave the jacket alone with no further alterations, treat it as a lesson learned and save it for pairing with jeans/cotton slacks with a pullover under the jacket.

oaw01

Reaction score
Looks like a Hickey Freeman jacket that wants to be a Prada. I'd toss it. However, for the regular population most won't even notice or care.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to cover your butt (side or rear view pic would help). So the length is ok for your body. But proportions are off / pockets seem to be too low (tuck them in as somebody suggested).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads