• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this pocket square choice that appeared on the cover of this recent book titled Bespoke.

Bespoke_COVER.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
One of the more expressive and distinctive designers of pocket squares is Hermes. Yes they have solid linen and simple silk squares, but my favorites are their in house designed patterns. Some feel that the Hermes silk pochettes are such heavy silk to make them too bulky for smaller breast pockets.

My suggestion is to wear these sparingly, with just a bit of pattern peeking out of your pocket.

This post gave me a chubb.
laugh.gif

PSG - Didnt you say you had a hard time matching that first black one?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a lot of those Hermes scarves just look like a blob of ink when you wear them. I'd like to see your photos in action. What size are they? This is why I designed the RJ Cat pocket square to have bigger blocks of uniform color. Spoo modeling it:
e4aa94e1.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
This post gave me a chubb.
laugh.gif

PSG - Didnt you say you had a hard time matching that first black one?

Yes, I did. The bright accents against the black have limited versatility. Unless, of course you wear a black suit
frown.gif
But, the design is still very attractive to my eye. Maybe I will just have to frame it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
^ Looking at that pic, I think I should have done a different tie.

And I need to get that PS out again.

The tie is attractive and the pocket square is a fun colorful pattern, but they don't belong together. The brights in the tie have pinkish highlights and the pocket square has blueish reds...you can't mix them. They will never look right together. It all gets back to the basics of color theory and how to mix and match colors. The photo is a bit off on the color of your shirt. I'm not sure that it is working as part of the outfit either but it is hard to tell.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think a lot of those Hermes scarves just look like a blob of ink when you wear them. I'd like to see your photos in action. What size are they?

All the Hermes pocket squares are 17 inches square and are made of a very thick silk. So, they are not for everyone. Many people don't like them because they feel they are too bulky in a chest pocket. Others, like them because of their thick silk and distinctive designs and colors. Of course, some like them simply because they are Hermes.

Blob of ink? I suppose that is true with some designs but certainly not with most of them. But a lot of that has to do with the way you fold your pocket square, right?

I'll post some photos in action one of these days.

Sotiris

Reaction score
Trying to ignore the poor pics...
redface.gif
... which square goes better with this outfit? Or better suggestions? Only just starting to build my PS collection.

I3qAw.jpg

8MrD3.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sotiris
Trying to ignore the poor pics...
redface.gif
... which square goes better with this outfit? Or better suggestions? Only just starting to build my PS collection.

When guys are starting with pocket squares I recommend they start with the basics and build up to more expressive and complex color and pattern combinations after feeling good about the basics. I prefer the bottom one but with a different shirt and tie combination. The grey stripes in the shirt and the soft grey tie look weak against the charcoal. Go for a solid white, blue or pink shirt. You can never go wrong with them wearing a charcoal suit. The bottom pocket square in burgundy with white dots is classic with charcoal. I would recommend wearing a navy tie with small white stripes (and maybe another colored stripe) along with the blue or white shirt. A white linen pocket square would be ideal with that suit as well. It would go nicely with the suggested navy tie or pair it with a patterned burgundy tie for another classic color combination. I can't really see the colors in the top square very well so I am unable to offer suggestions for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics