• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for the elusive Oxblood Monkstrap

Patek14

Reaction score
The title says it all. I've been trying to find any oxblood/burgundy/merlot calfskin single monkstrap shoe with no success. Any suggestions?

I've looked through AE, Alden, EG, crockett and jones, alfred sargent, church's, and trickers (probably everything but AE an Alden is more than i'd be willing to spend). The only companies that even offer calfskin single monks in my color are AE and EG

Goal:
-Single monkstrap
-rounded toe
-oxblood/burgundy/merlot color
-full grain leather
-leather soled
-goodyear welt construction
-reasonably priced factor re-mfg program (i.e., I dont want to ship shoes to the UK and pay $250 for re-craft)

Any thoughts? Heck, I'd even consider a pair of cheapo oxblood monks that didn't meet all the above requirements if they were inexpensive, i just can't find monks at all
frown.gif

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Internets. Solving problems in under 2 minutes.

Not really...maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post:

"probably everything but AE an Alden is more than i'd be willing to spend"

If I'm too cheap to shell out $1200 on EGs, or even 600 bucks on C&Js, why in the world would I spend even more on Vass? I'm trying to limit damage to about 400 USD.

I also don't think Vass has a reasonably priced re-crafting program...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Vass would run you around $675 all in including shipping. A very good deal considering the quality and knowing you'd get exactly what you want assuming the F-last fits. Knowing the fit is the hardest part. Might be worth saving up for them, but that's up to you.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post 1221 in the vass Appreciation thread had a pic of awesome oxblood monks.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which, alas, one cannot see because of the image Shack nonsense.

LTM

Reaction score
Herring Shoes has one I recall.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
The Vass would run you around $675 all in including shipping. A very good deal considering the quality and knowing you'd get exactly what you want assuming the F-last fits. Knowing the fit is the hardest part. Might be worth saving up for them, but that's up to you.

So far...this and custom AE Bostons seem like the leading options. Where would I be able to test F-last fit though? Browsing the Vass website, it looks like its NYC or overseas (i.e., minimal retail coverage in the US or anywhere for that matter)

Also - Francisco D'Anconi, any special reason you recommend "Brenda Depies"? If I went down the AE road, I'd be more inclined to go to thier store in DC and get the fit right with the boston's last before doing a custom color order

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your not bent on calfskin, BB has an oxblood Shell cordovan monk strap for $598, with the 100$ off from the spring wardrobe event that would make it 498. They'll also have some sales coming up that may reduce it more.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
So far...this and custom AE Bostons seem like the leading options. Where would I be able to test F-last fit though? Browsing the Vass website, it looks like its NYC or overseas (i.e., minimal retail coverage in the US or anywhere for that matter)

Unfortunately it is a bit of a guessing game on sizing with Vass. Just do some searches and you'll find some answers. Essentially a US 10.5 on the F-last would be a 43.5. You can use that as the control and subtract/add as necessary depending on your size.

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
If your not bent on calfskin, BB has an oxblood Shell cordovan monk strap for $598, with the 100$ off from the spring wardrobe event that would make it 498. They'll also have some sales coming up that may reduce it more.

I saw some very nice looking oxblood shells from Alden but I'll pretty stuck on calfskin. I'm not a bid fan of how shell wears

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads