• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a Bowtie Casually?

Romanime

Reaction score
There's really not much else to say, except that I'm really set on doing this. I'm still in highschool so it'd need to be pretty casual. I'm sticking to jeans for pants, so I dont really need help with that part, but I can't think up that many different ensembles to wear that include a bowtie.
I'd only be wearing them once a week, I'm thinking a Bowtie Monday's type of thing, maybe even get some of my friends to start doing it.

Dressing up isn't an odd thing for me, but I usually have gone for the more hypebeastish look, and I wanna do the classy thing, but with a bit more eccentricity.

(Oh and first post, so not 100% certain this is the right place for this thread)

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolled up shirt sleeves, open cardigans in unique designs and/or weaves (ditto other knitwear), diverse footwear such as grey suede desert boots, bold and playful print shirts; all of these can instill a casually eccentric look

The Streetwear and Denim board may yield some ideas, also

Alimentarius

Reaction score
With maximum swagger.

I like to dress the rest down so it's apparent that it's "fun" day- OCBD, jeans, cardigan, sport coat or more casual outerwear.

Get your fits right to avoid looking like a dweeb.

Romanime

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm starting to get the idea, would a pair of converse work with a bowtie?

Any other types of sweaters ect... that would work in a casual look?

alexanduh

Reaction score
casual yea cons and jeans would work. for the top id say a short sleeved shirt. cadigan for cold days. mad swagger lol.

Romanime

Reaction score
Going to go today, planning to buy some stuff, let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alimentarius
With maximum swagger.

I'd agree. I think it has alot to do with your attitude.

Bowties tend to trigger impressions much different than a tie. It can go from circus clown to right wing republican hooker lover.

If you come across casually, the bowtie will give the impression you're jovial. Smoke a cigar, you're an oil man. Drink heavily garnished drinks, you're a broken man.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Just take your time with this. Whenever you go shopping keep the bowtie in the back of your mind. Shop stores over a period of time and you'll eventually come across the perfect things to piece together.

In other words, if you have to come on here asking how to put together a bowtie outfit that works casually and won't get you ridiculed in high school, I'm afraid there's a big chance you'll fall flat on your face. Those that "succeed" with such a look can envision the ensemble and pull it off without really questioning what they need to make it work... it's a bit of an extreme look for a high school kid, wouldn't you say? Get comfortable with come eccentric pieces of clothing slowly until you're confident if your choices.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave the thing in the back of your wardrobe - or better never get it out of the shop would be your best call.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
right wing republican hooker lover.

I thought they were generally doing rentboys these days.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One can't forget the Punky Professor look, either (redhead not included):
00030m.jpg
eleventhdoctorandamypondstandee.jpg

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
One can't forget the Punky Professor look, either (redhead not included):

00030m.jpg
eleventhdoctorandamypondstandee.jpg

I actually wouldn't mind what the Doctor has on but with some skinny jeans, and minus suspenders, and button the jacket.

And I see what you guys are saying, and I can put the colors together well, but I need to know the names of some types of clothing that I can wear a bowtie with, like the cardigan thing was useful a whole ensemble appeared in my head just from that, I dont need detailed "wear grey cardigan, with faded jeans ect..."

SamPepys

Reaction score
I'd stay away from bright colors or gaudy patterns. A simple polkda dot or striped bowtie looks good with a button down. Repeating Barims, roll up the sleeves to increase the casual look. A brown wool sportscoat and dark toned tie will give you the "professor" look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads