• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Right shoe for the casual setting?

hansw18

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to the powers that be here on SF for a recommendation of a good quality brown shoe for a casual setting. I am 27 and would like to wear them with nice dark jeans and a button-down or navy dress/linen pants and a button-down. As of now the only pair of nice brown shoes I own is in a cap toe, which is too dressy for frequenting bars, restaurants, etc. I am looking to spend in the $200-$300 range, and any advice on style and color is more than welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hansw18
Hello,
I am looking to the powers that be here on SF for a recommendation of a good quality brown shoe for a casual setting. I am 27 and would like to wear them with nice dark jeans and a button-down or navy dress/linen pants and a button-down. As of now the only pair of nice brown shoes I own is in a cap toe, which is too dressy for frequenting bars, restaurants, etc. I am looking to spend in the $200-$300 range, and any advice on style and color is more than welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

Just a few ideas:

http://www.theshoemart.com/allen-edm...m_sanibel.html

http://www.theshoemart.com/allen-edm..._winnetka.html

http://www.theshoemart.com/allen-edm...san_marco.html

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=71

A little more than your cap:

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=64

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=118

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
edit: Loafers with jeans!!!??? REally!!!???

Why not? Simple leather shoes can go with anything.

alexanduh

Reaction score
how bout some alden indys?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I think AE Sanford is back...a blucher with captoe brogue...you may want to check this out...Thinking about this myself instead of going English made for similar style and price points...

phailing101

Reaction score
I love the Tricker's Country Collection (both boots and shoes) for casual settings:

stow_marron_medium.jpg

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW&D will give you better answers. I like the Malvern from AE.

edit: Loafers with jeans!!!??? REally!!!???

Suede loafers look awesome with jeans.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
probably a dumb question, but since it's on topic, i'll ask anyway. does anybody make slip-on bluchers?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
probably a dumb question, but since it's on topic, i'll ask anyway. does anybody make slip-on bluchers?

I may be wrong but I would assume not. A blucher is defined by the open area at the bottom of a lace. If it has a lace then it wont be a slip on (traditionally at least), and if it doesn't have a lace then you can't make it a blucher.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I may be wrong but I would assume not. A blucher is defined by the open area at the bottom of a lace. If it has a lace then it wont be a slip on (traditionally at least), and if it doesn't have a lace then you can't make it a blucher.

that's why i thought it could be a stupid question, as i wasn't fully sure of what i was asking
smile.gif

i think a version of the question would be: does anybody know of any brands that sell brown leather slip-ons with no imbellishment and a rounded toe

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
that's why i thought it could be a stupid question, as i wasn't fully sure of what i was asking
smile.gif

i think a version of the question would be: does anybody know of any brands that sell brown leather slip-ons with no imbellishment and a rounded toe

Plenty. Santoni is one brand I had. Try Allen Edmonds or Alden, sorry for not knowing for sure, but I don't buy loafers.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
Plenty. Santoni is one brand I had. Try Allen Edmonds or Alden, sorry for not knowing for sure, but I don't buy loafers.

thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately, i'm having trouble finding a pair without the "penny loafer" type strap (along the top of the foot). does anybody happen to know of any?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads