• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Recs in Chicago

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, I am in town for a couple of weeks (thanks to the earthquake in japan and the riots in Saudi) and I am going to have some meals out with my wife and friend. please give me any recommendations you have.

50 bucks a head more or less (without wine) would be good. any type of cuisine.

Osteria via Stato is an excellent choice, and it will be less than $50 a head.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West Town Tavern, still one of my favorites.

Pho Xe Tang or Tank Noodle in Argyle is cheap and good.. as is Bu Il or Kang Nam in K town.

Mixteco on Montrose is really good... although I heard they got a new chef.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks. I have a new list of stuff to try.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. I have a new list of stuff to try.

Globe, give Bistro Bordeaux a try in Evanston.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Globe, give Bistro Bordeaux a try in Evanston.

thanks - been there twice. it is a fantastic choice, and we can walk there.

we find that we will go to the same 5-8 places around town, ricardo, honey one, loa sezuan, BB, taboun, hema's kitchen, David Burke's, DOC a mexican place in Pilzen and Patty's (which closed down) and we don't try that many new places. I want to try a few new places in the next couple of months.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i didn't read the thread but if they were mentioned previously, my bad. if not, Schwa and Alinea

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks - been there twice. it is a fantastic choice, and we can walk there.

we find that we will go to the same 5-8 places around town, ricardo, honey one, loa sezuan, BB, taboun, hema's kitchen, David Burke's, DOC a mexican place in Pilzen and Patty's (which closed down) and we don't try that many new places. I want to try a few new places in the next couple of months.

Do you like Lao the most for chinese in Chicago?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

right now, yes. honestly, I get locked into a few places I like. Lao it what I like now. I can't be bothered to try a few other chinese places in town unless somebody gives me a strong recommendation. ChicagoRon recommended this one to me.

you have anything better to suggest?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right now, yes. honestly, I get locked into a few places I like. Lao it what I like now. I can't be bothered to try a few other chinese places in town unless somebody gives me a strong recommendation. ChicagoRon recommended this one to me.

you have anything better to suggest?

No, I've heard Lao from many people as well. In general I've been extremely disappointed with food in China town, bakeries and all. There's one bakery I like in Argyle and also a Bahn Mi place.

The dimsum in China town sucks very badly too.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lao is pretty much the only place I go anymore. I'm white but most of my friends from college were asian...definitely get better food when you are with asians. Probably better to stay away from anything spicy if you don't have anybody with you or if they won't recognize you as someone who knows what they want (the non spicy dishes will be about the same but anything spicy will just be a flavorless mash).

I have not made it when they have gone...but lately some of my chinese friends have been really enjoying peking duck from a place up by argyle.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I've heard Lao from many people as well. In general I've been extremely disappointed with food in China town, bakeries and all. There's one bakery I like in Argyle and also a Bahn Mi place.

The dimsum in China town sucks very badly too.

yeah, we used to say that chinese was the one thing that we missed when we moved to Chicago.

we haven't found a thai place that we really like. and, unfortunately, my wife doesn't like Vietnamese - I hit Tank a few times a year, but without her.

I have not made it when they have gone...but lately some of my chinese friends have been really enjoying peking duck from a place up by argyle.
sun wah? yeah, love that place

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, we used to say that chinese was the one thing that we missed when we moved to Chicago.

we haven't found a thai place that we really like. and, unfortunately, my wife doesn't like Vietnamese - I hit Tank a few times a year, but without her.

sun wah? yeah, love that place

A bunch of my friends have a boner for Thai Classic on Clark and Buckingham

Maybe they see something I don't (and maybe you would too). I think its good enough...but I don't think I have ever once made the suggestion that we eat there. I was spoiled by a few really good thai options in minneapolis that I have not been able to replace despite there being a thai restaurant on every corner in chicago. Star of Siam used to be pretty good (like 5-6 years ago) but lately it has been pretty bad
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please specify about the Peking duck place in Argyle.

Also Globe, is Tank in Argyle? Please tell me about it and tell me what you get. I don't mind Vietnamese at all. I do however find the cold, dry shredded pork to be disgusting.

Kyle please elaborate on this Thai place.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It's this tiny little shithole at the corners of lakeview/uptown/wrigleyville. Directly underneath the Sheridan red line station. I used to live there, used to eat there all the time. Always thought it was great, but never knew it had a pretty big following (Achatz said it was his favorite thai place in the city). Just pretty simple thai food, although they also have a secret menu you can ask for. Very well prepared, high quality product for an asian place, and they won't give you the round eye treatment like you often get in Chinatown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics