• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to ones own funeral

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
I just heard I'll be in a horrendous car accident in 10 years. Basically, an earthquake will hit California while I'm on the Bay Bridge, specifically in the tunnel on Yerba Buena. A chuck of concrete the size of a Buick will come crashing on me and flatten my face to a bloody sinuous pancake. My question is: what should I wear to the funeral? My family is Italian, so open-casket is mandatory. I'm sure they can put something over my crushed face, perhaps a Bill Clinton or goalie mask - depends on if my last thoughts were sexy or murderous...anyway, more to the point: should my suit be black? I know people wear black for funerals, but what if it's your funeral? I don't think that question has really been addressed here on the forum.

It has now. Admittedly, I find this to be an interesting question. We're ignoring folks like me who wish to be creamated - unless you want the clothing destroyed in the process. I know that there are those who specify in their wills what they want clothing they wish to be interred in. So the question is then: Has anyone here given any thought as to what sort of thing they would like to wear for the last time anyone sees them?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Has anyone here given any thought as to what sort of thing they would like to wear for the last time anyone sees them?
Yes: navy suit, light blue shirt, navy tie, white ps.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Completely open casket. Formaldehyde, erect pen0r.

Where's my lawyer?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I will be frozen in complex gases. Hence, I want to wear something classic and conservative so that, when I'm thawed-out, I will be good to go.

Pic & Pic navy suit, white pinpoint shirt (medium spread point), black grenadine tie, and white linen pocket square. I will emerge as a cross between James Bond and Cary Grant and I shall rule the sartorial world.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has a very positive outlook
lol8[1].gif

teacha.gif
Well, dead is dead, it does not matter what your wearing. My brain should be donated to science for people to marvel at an organ that used to contain a mind with an IQ of 156.

After my organs have been donated, the rest of me can be thrown to be demolished by hogs
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I will be frozen in complex gases. Hence, I want to wear something classic and conservative so that, when I'm thawed-out, I will be good to go.

Quite classy, intelligent and humorous
fing02[1].gif
, better than my reflections on death.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
This thread has a very positive outlook
lol8[1].gif

teacha.gif
Well, dead is dead, it does not matter what your wearing. My brain should be donated to science for people to marvel at an organ that used to contain a mind with an IQ of 156.

After my organs have been donated, the rest of me can be thrown to be demolished by hogs
lol8[1].gif

No Aspirations on being embalmed and put into the ground dressed to the nines for the purposes of being discovered at some future date 1000 years down the road and put up in a museum as an exhibit of sartorial awesomeness?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Aspirations on being embalmed and put into the ground dressed to the nines for the purposes of being discovered at some future date 1000 years down the road and put up in a museum as an exhibit of sartorial awesomeness?

Good point. After all the wealth we have accumulated in this life, it might be better to buy that hypothetical $20K bespoke suit, $10K shoes, and a $100K watch. Lets not forget a good tie with windsor knot and little dimples, and of course a straightly folded pocket square. I will keep a couple of cuban cigars in my pocket, and have a small sterling silver flask containing my favourite tipple. I like this scenario, my kids will get no inheritance from me this day forth, it all goes on funeral attire
devil.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tuxedo, peak lapels. Typical pleated formal shirt, 18K yellow gold studs. Nice batwing bowtie, tied by someone who knows what they're doing.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wooden overcoat, aka a coffin.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Good point. After all the wealth we have accumulated in this life, it might be better to buy that hypothetical $20K bespoke suit, $10K shoes, and a $100K watch. Lets not forget a good tie with windsor knot and little dimples, and of course a straightly folded pocket square. I will keep a couple of cuban cigars in my pocket, and have a small sterling silver flask containing my favourite tipple. I like this scenario, my kids will get no inheritance from me this day forth, it all goes on funeral attire
devil.gif

Inheritance is just a distraction anyway. While I will help my son in every way I can, one of the best ways that I can help him is by helping him learn to be a self made man.

Originally Posted by Petko
1038867447_9a62875bc0.jpg

/thread

Technically, being frozen in carbonite does not count as being dead.

cmacey

Reaction score
It has now. Admittedly, I find this to be an interesting question. We're ignoring folks like me who wish to be creamated - unless you want the clothing destroyed in the process. I know that there are those who specify in their wills what they want clothing they wish to be interred in. So the question is then: Has anyone here given any thought as to what sort of thing they would like to wear for the last time anyone sees them?

No. It does not matter to me, I'm dead. If the living wants to worry about which suit would look nice on me, that is a concern for the living. My will states a pine box and a cheap funeral! Stupid to pay thousands of dollars just to stick a person in the ground! Take that money and buy food for the poor, or some other worth cause...

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage HB or faux marble urn.

HB=Hills Bros. (Chock Full O'Nuts can will work too.)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You need to dress for the climate. You plan to go up or down?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads