• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My submission:

foowedding.jpg

Everything but the pocketsquare. Pretty late 80's. Doesn't make it ugly, but it does have that design.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot

IMG00018-20110119-1344.jpg

What material is the tie?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Dude, that does not qualify as conservative business dress under any scenario.

It's real life conservative business dress actually. I wore this to the office, in a suit, and in a very conservative business dress environment.

It's certainly not the most conservative business dress it gets, quite obviously, but I thought the point of the thread was to show conservative business dress and ways one can deviate from the C part to a certain extent. I mean, the OP is quite indicative of this idea. Cashmere tie, pebblegrain bluchers.

In this particular case, remove the cardigan and it's soporifically conservative business dress.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
What material is the tie?

A 100% wool burgundy color with a hint of burnt orange from Lock & Co in London. Wore it again this evening actually.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That tie is incredibly difficult to photograph. It's actually brown and light blue herringbone, not silver.

If that pic would have been shot with a Leica MP, we would be able to tell.
wink.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herringbone, really? It looks like houndstooth

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
If that pic would have been shot with a Leica MP, we would be able to tell.
wink.gif

We'dve also had to wait at least 2 weeks for it.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
This is the fit I caught flack for in terms of the cashmere tie not being conservative business dress.

I think that flack originated with me, but I take it back now. I realize I was confusing conservative business dress with UCBD.

It's still too wide, though. I don't take that back.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
I think that flack originated with me, but I take it back now. I realize I was confusing conservative business dress with UCBD.

It's still too wide, though. I don't take that back.

Not sure. Someone said wool ties are not conservative business dress. Was that you? Might have been.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
To me, it just sounds like they're just two different philosophies. I imagine that Manton, like anyone, can do both in a given week, but he wouldn't when he goes to the office which is essentially what this thread is about.
Originally Posted by poorsod
I got the impression that conservative business dress depends on context - type of business, principal vs peon, young vs. old.
Well, none of us are in a position to judge what Manton can and can't get away with (which I'll define as dressing in such a manner that won't engender widespread disdain among his co-workers) at his office. But if he has a colleague who wears cowboy boots to work on a regular basis, my guess is that he can get away with a bit more than what he posted tonight ... as could I if I ever wanted to test my office boundaries. Then again, maybe his booted colleague does engender widespread disdain among co-workers. In which case, perhaps Manton is coloring just within the lines. But ... I doubt it unless told otherwise by the man.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
What does the thread think?
24wfwhy.jpg

Very, very nice! But conservative business dress? Lots of unconservative things here if by that we mean "things one hardly ever sees in the office." Genadine ties are hardly ever seen. Pocket squares are hardly ever seen. Spread collars are perhaps not quite as endangered but still not common. The rig's not inappropriate or foppish - don't get me wrong - but it's probably not conservative. Nonetheless ... smashing.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Let's make it seven continent conservative business dress.
This is brilliant and will make the thread anything but boring and repetitive. I hope that members from various places will offer their perspectives on conservative business dress. I think it will be fascinating. For example, conservative business dress in London would never involve brown pebble-grain chukkas. It can, however, involve shirt-patterns that will make your eyes water. In Italy, brown shoes are fine while in Australia, I believe flip-flops are mandatory. I am really looking forward to this. I hope you will actively solicit commentary from our international members.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moo - While a fun outfit, I think a few subtle things take away from it being an uber conservative business dress outift.

1) The texture of the tie as something a bit more flat would have worked better.

2) The lavender overcheck in the suit as it's tough for me to associate any shade of pink or purple with conservative business dress.

3) The fold of the square has a bit too much flair and the colors stand out a bit.

What do you think?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Moo - While a fun outfit, I think a few subtle things take away from it being an uber conservative business dress outift.

1) The texture of the tie as something a bit more flat would have worked better.

2) The lavender overcheck in the suit as it's tough for me to associate any shade of pink or purple with conservative business dress.

3) The fold of the square has a bit too much flair and the colors stand out a bit.

I first wrote something about the check as well, but closer examination suggests that it's light blue, not lavender, and a PoW with blue overcheck isn't all that rarely seen. Uncommon, but not really out-there. So I think he's likely fine on that score.

Agree on (1) and (3) though ... as much as I like them.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to hear what Manton has to say about the current submissions. I still only half understand his concept and perspective on conservative business dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads