• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shotgun recommendations/secondhand issues.

CrackBaby

Reaction score
they're all about the same, if fit/finish bother you so much take it to a gunsmith to get polished down a bit. i go with the mossberg 590 for left handedness issues but its smoother cycling than a winchester because i had work done on it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Is the ******* moon out of whack or something?
Newb males often want to assert themselves in new territory, and as firearms are a particularly alpha area, it gets more overt. ~ H

Flursheim

Reaction score
I' ve been down this road before. BP348 and Shikar have the right idea, stay 12 gauge and consider the Beretta especially for the budget you have in mind.

Have you shot skeet or trap before? If no or you've done it once or twice before, here's another idea. Some ranges/clubs have intro courses that they conduct for those looking to get into it. It's usually about a few hours long only. Find one and let them know that you are also considering a shotgun. The class usually starts with a classroom possibly covering the differences between an SA and an O/U. Just let them know that you would like to try both and chances are they'll bring both types out for you and the other attendees to try out. Helps you decide after that.

I own variations of the 870, an O/U that cost just as much as one of my custom Ti 1911 and a Beretta SA. The Beretta gets the job done.....very well and it's a great shotgun. Like someone else on this thread, I started my shotgun experience with the 870 but I've relegated it to home defense and tactical 3-gun matches. My O/U is just safe queen these days. Sooner rather than later it needs to go. My safe is bursting at the seams.

Helm

CrackBaby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Newb males often want to assert themselves in new territory, and as firearms are a particularly alpha area, it gets more overt.

~ H

yeah i know, all this O/U bs, pathetic is what it is

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Newb males often want to assert themselves in new territory, and as firearms are a particularly alpha area, it gets more overt.

~ H

Marking their territory?

Originally Posted by CrackBaby

facepalm.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I meant the guy criticizing you for using "cartridge." But there's no BS about O/Us -- you shoot anything appropriate that you like that gets the job done. An O/U is my trap gun, but the first gun I ever shot clays with was my 20ga Winchester Ranger pump that my father gave me one Christmas. I certainly don't think I'd call anyone's choice "pathetic" if reasonable for the task at hand, be it the guy with the $200 NEF break-open or the $20,000 Kolar, you know? It's important to take pride in what you shoot with; important to actually want to go and shoot whatever shotgun you choose.
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Marking their territory?
facepalm.gif

Not so much marking, I think, as just wanting to climb a rung or two -- easiest to do so by shooting someone else down over nothing of substance. ~ H

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite my professional involvement with the world of firearms, I'll have to confess that I'm not much of a wingshot.

Nonetheless, I am surprised that no-one has pointed out that no shotgun is going to be very good for both skeet and trap. The sports really require separate guns. Aside from the matters of barrel length and choke, which some have already mentioned, the guns are stocked very differently. A skeet gun can usually do double-duty as a field gun pretty well, but a trap gun is a more specialized tool. At least, such is my understanding.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jlib, your point is well taken. For someone just starting out a basic semi auto can do it all, esp one with removable rib, adjustable comb and chokes etc. Ofcourse as we will develop tendency to shoot one sport specifically and thus gravitate to a gun set up for trap ( with a high POI and longer bbl for long sighting plane) vs skeet or sporting.
Ofcourse ur argument is what I have used to justify my 2 Perazzi, 12 Berettas of all types, a benelli, 3 Rugers inc the rare gold label S/S, 4 Winchesters super X-1 and few odds and ends.

Regards.

Beta

Reaction score
Noone mentioned the Super Black Eagle...I shot well with that.

I cant shoot doubles for **** with a pump gun. Tried it once when I was deciding what I wanted to buy and shooting whatever I could rent or borrow to get some trigger time...Never again. I found semi auto to be most comfortable.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
Noone mentioned the Super Black Eagle...I shot well with that.

I cant shoot doubles for **** with a pump gun. Tried it once when I was deciding what I wanted to buy and shooting whatever I could rent or borrow to get some trigger time...Never again. I found semi auto to be most comfortable.

I think I'm just too much of a spaz to rack the slide and get a good second shot off. I can hit singles all day long, but for me, with a pump shotgun, doubles = major fail.

CrackBaby

Reaction score
anybody know an affordable current production shotgun that has no trigger disconnect (like winchester model 12) so you can hold down the trigger and keep pumping? "slamfiring"

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Ofcourse ur argument is what I have used to justify my 2 Perazzi, 12 Berettas of all types, a benelli, 3 Rugers inc the rare gold label S/S, 4 Winchesters super X-1 and few odds and ends.

Regards.

Which Perazzi models do you have?

I have a Perazzi MX 14 and really like it. I know its more of a beginner Perazzi but it does everything I want it to do. Plus I have the single barrel and the O/U barrel for it.
smile.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Which Perazzi models do you have? I have a Perazzi MX 14 and really like it. I know its more of a beginner Perazzi but it does everything I want it to do. Plus I have the single barrel and the O/U barrel for it.
smile.gif

2 Perazzi MX-8, one is a SCO grade with custom game scene. I forgot the engravers name but he did an awesome job. Giacomo has stocked it with exceptional wood and 3.5 lbs triggers. Briley did the barrels and titanium chokes. Larry feeland put Isis on them. There is no beginner P gun. Congrats on yours!!! Oh, I have used it for all sorts of hunting too, incl getting muddy in a duck blind. It's easier to clean than a auto. Love the drop out triggers and leaf springs. Regards.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody know an affordable current production shotgun that has no trigger disconnect (like winchester model 12) so you can hold down the trigger and keep pumping? "slamfiring"
No, but then again I've never looked. It is probably inhibited on most pumps on purpose -- even the repo Winchester 1897s.
Originally Posted by Shikar
Jlib, your point is well taken. For someone just starting out a basic semi auto can do it all, esp one with removable rib, adjustable comb and chokes etc. Ofcourse as we will develop tendency to shoot one sport specifically and thus gravitate to a gun set up for trap ( with a high POI and longer bbl for long sighting plane) vs skeet or sporting. Ofcourse ur argument is what I have used to justify my 2 Perazzi, 12 Berettas of all types, a benelli, 3 Rugers inc the rare gold label S/S, 4 Winchesters super X-1 and few odds and ends. Regards.
Yah, OP's gonna get an all-rounder which will serve him easonably well for all three games, and if he gets seriosu about one, well then its time for mods or a new gun. Gotta find out what he likes best. It's the 12 Berettas that impress me, Shikar -- they make some fabulous O/Us. And the Gold Label -- I played with one at the very last Grand in Vandalia, 2007 I think? ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads