• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

IronRock

Reaction score
It's taken me a couple of days but I have now waded through every post in this thread - fantastic stuff and always amazed at what you find on SF. Thanks you Lefty, Jlib and the others who have kept this thing rolling along so nicely.

I come from a gun dog background in the UK and have mainly had labs/springers as well as hunt terrier and Border terriers too. Hunt terrier was my first, came from working background of Patterdale sire and Jack *****. She was worked with the hunt before fox hunting was 'banned.' Died aged 19 4 years ago. I'll find a picture but she was the best dog I've ever had although perhaps a little too much black in her coat to be the perfect ground dog.

I am now looking forward to getting my new yellow lab (I want yellow but depends on litter). No special background, but if her parents are anything to go by she should be excellent behind the gun and driving up. very much looking forward to starting the training, I just wish I could give it the opportunity to work like its parents but this will be a house dog. I still cannot wait! I am sure I will be asking many training questions when the time comes.

Noticed not a lot of love for springers on the thread. Some of the best gun dogs I've ever known have been springers, although they are crazy bastards sometimes.

IronRock

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the border, not going to lie I'm disappointed with her lack of prey drive. She's a pure lap dog with a very good nature just not what I would have chosen in a dog (I didn't choose her!):
5517594354_7cd3d1b90a.jpg
seems there's not a lot of love for labs here either!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
Here's a pic of the border, not going to lie I'm disappointed with her lack of prey drive. She's a pure lap dog with a very good nature just not what I would have chosen in a dog (I didn't choose her!):
5517594354_7cd3d1b90a.jpg
seems there's not a lot of love for labs here either!

Nice looking pooch. Same coloration as an Airedale, but less curly. How much/what kind of hunting is there in the UK? Are the laws pretty fucked or is it fairly open?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the Hunt Terrier? How was she used?

That Border is a nice looking dog but not very typey for the breed. Surprised to hear you say she doesn't have much prey drive. Even with show-bred terriers that seems to be the last thing to go.

I think I said it somewhere in here but as it was told to me, the Springer is the dog that can do it all.

Not sure why Labs don't get discussed considering their popularity but I have to admit I am not a fan. I prefer the more exotic retrievers like the Duck Toller and the Curly Coated.

lefty

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Any miracle solutions for getting dog vomit and associated smell out of a couch? I searched the thread but did not see anything.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sell it to my wife and she'll get it recovered at Knoll.

lefty

P.S. There's a product I've used - white bottle with red type but for the life I can't remember what it's called. A good pet store should be able to steer you right.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered baking soda? On an unrelated note, Jake ate a bunch of plastic wrap a couple days ago and then threw it up. Dumb ass dog won't even eat most human food but decides it's a good idea to eat plastic.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Have you considered baking soda?

On an unrelated note, Jake ate a bunch of plastic wrap a couple days ago and then threw it up. Dumb ass dog won't even eat most human food but decides it's a good idea to eat plastic.

might try that. our dog decided that her dinner would be better with two and a half sticks of butter, uncooked bacon, and some raw lamb bones from the fridge.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
It's taken me a couple of days but I have now waded through every post in this thread - fantastic stuff and always amazed at what you find on SF. Thanks you Lefty, Jlib and the others who have kept this thing rolling along so nicely.

I come from a gun dog background in the UK and have mainly had labs/springers as well as hunt terrier and Border terriers too. Hunt terrier was my first, came from working background of Patterdale sire and Jack *****. She was worked with the hunt before fox hunting was 'banned.' Died aged 19 4 years ago. I'll find a picture but she was the best dog I've ever had although perhaps a little too much black in her coat to be the perfect ground dog.

I am now looking forward to getting my new yellow lab (I want yellow but depends on litter). No special background, but if her parents are anything to go by she should be excellent behind the gun and driving up. very much looking forward to starting the training, I just wish I could give it the opportunity to work like its parents but this will be a house dog. I still cannot wait! I am sure I will be asking many training questions when the time comes.

Noticed not a lot of love for springers on the thread. Some of the best gun dogs I've ever known have been springers, although they are crazy bastards sometimes.

Funny to see this...my boss's springer is 7-8 months old now and is a nice dog, but doesn't seem to have a ton of personality. She's from bench lines though, and I'm sure your experience is with field.

My love/hate relationship with Kong products continues. On the plus side, at the ripe old age of nearly two and a half years, the dog has at least learned to spit out the pieces:

2011-03-06%2020.00.14.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tremendous respect for working-line, hunting labs--tough, drivey, dynamic dogs. For the average overweight urban "pigrador"...well, they're usually sweet, which is all most people want in a companion dog.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Yes.

lefty

I've heard that the formula for Nature's Miracle may have changed a few years back, though I'm not sure if it was ever proven one way or the other. There's a product called (I believe) Petastic that is rumored to be the original Nature's Miracle formula.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
My love/hate relationship with Kong products continues. On the plus side, at the ripe old age of nearly two and a half years, the dog has at least learned to spit out the pieces:

Time to start giving that dog a weekly beef knuckle or two.

lefty

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I will post some pics of my boxer and my pit bull when I get home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads