• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British workwear / heritage brands

Dodo

Reaction score
So, about Heritage Research, all of you guys who bought their garnments found out they fit small? I'm looking for a wilderness parka but i don't know if with 40' chest and 5.4 ft. tall (short) i better fit in small or medium, any advice?

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dodo
So, about Heritage Research, all of you guys who bought their garnments found out they fit small? I'm looking for a wilderness parka but i don't know if with 40' chest and 5.4 ft. tall (short) i better fit in small or medium, any advice?
I have a jacket (non parka) and a sweater and find they fit slightly big. I do have a parka on the way though. I went with my standard size in the parka.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Shouldn't brands such as Corgi and Sunspel get a mention as well? I realise they're underwear brands, but nonetheless...

Also I'm not sure I saw Lavenham in the initial post. Belstaff also surely?

Pringle and Smedley? Garbstore?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dodo

I would guess medium - I've only got two overshirts - both L and they're just big enough for my 42.5 chest.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Shouldn't brands such as Corgi and Sunspel get a mention as well? I realise they're underwear brands, but nonetheless...

Also I'm not sure I saw Lavenham in the initial post. Belstaff also surely?

Pringle and Smedley? Garbstore?

I think Garbstore has been mentioned.

Sunspel T's are nice.

Lavenham looks good, but i haven't tried their stuff.

I confess I think of Belstaff as Italian despite it's British origin - quality seems good, prices a little steep.

Smedley - nice knitwear. Pringle I think have seen better day's although maybe they're due for a revival - I wasn't impressed with the quality of recent stuff.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Smedley - nice knitwear. Pringle I think have seen better day's although maybe they're due for a revival - I wasn't impressed with the quality of recent stuff.
Sadly true. I actually went into a Pringle shop at Christmas - I remember their socks were expensive, but excellent quality. Their priciest pair sported a nice, retro box, but the socks were made in China. Of course, we do have Cordings, most hunting and shooting wear, but lovely quality. Company now owned by Eric Clapton I believe.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I only have my older Pringle cashmeres, from the days the neck label still had a royal warrant.

gwolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I would add Brady Bags. They are still made in the UK with top materials (unlike Barbour bags which are now made in Asia). No one makes a better bag of it's kind.

just went into this thread to ask about a bag maker i couldn't remember! thanks lol!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
[

Anyone got one of their coats - how generous are they? A size 4 supposedly goes up to a 42" with a size 5 starting at 42" - I'm wanting a fairly close fit so a 4 would seem the best option but not if they're snug sized to start with.

I don't know if you can use this, but I'm a 2 in albam and size 3 folk fits me fairly snug.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn
I don't know if you can use this, but I'm a 2 in albam and size 3 folk fits me fairly snug.

Cheers.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Private White vc
I visited their store in London the other day. The designs are interesting, mainly influenced by military uniforms and the quality of the products seems to be great. Quite unusual is their use of copper for buttons, zips and quirky details. Private White vc is a new brand by Cooper & Stollbrand in Manchester.

http://www.privatewhitevc.com/

http://cooperstollbrand.co.uk/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads