• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knife Set

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, if the OP really wants a set, and wants something nice, it seems that the Michel Bras knives at Williams Sonoma are on sale for 950/set(7) down from 3500.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are pretty.... and a decent discount.

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Seriously, I think people have little idea what it means to have good knife skills, and at what level you are actually gaining something from having one of these tools.

When I took a knife skills class, it was perfect.

They had a whole variety of tools to choose from and instructors there to teach you, comment on your form, and suggest other tools.

Sure, the place also wanted you to buy those tools from them but being able to try so many shapes, lengths, and grips was worth a minor bit of veiled sales pitch.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it has all the ingredients. People with (likely) no skill are able to learn foreign words through the internet to describe tools with snob appeal that they have no idea how to use. Just kidding, kind of. Seriously, I think people have little idea what it means to have good knife skills, and at what level you are actually gaining something from having one of these tools. It always ends in a big swinging dick-off, which is why the internet was invented in the first place, right?

this is why I'm still waiting for Signore Rubinacci to introduce his own knife set.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
The only thing I'm not crazy about with my Shun is that it feels handle heavy, which can make cutting certain veggies awkward. I'd prefer it to be about an inch longer, but I'm guessing these problems are more related to my lack of skill than to any issue with the knife.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Those are pretty.... and a decent discount. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
No, this is one of my (many) pet peeves. Actually in a good mood this morning. Thinking of buying myself a brand new knife.
smile.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think sfield and matty have covered pretty much everything that needs to be said. the one thing i would definitely add (as someone who has a VERY bad knife habit) is that it's absolutely imperitive that you actually pick up the knife and try it before you use it. it's not a matter of "which is best" ... each person has their own body geometry and preferences. i used a bunch of gyutous a couple of years ago ... spent about 6 months with a half-dozen different ones. i really liked the hattori and the misono, but really didn't like teh shuns. sfield is a better cook than i am and he likes them. it's just a matter of how the knife feels to you.
i also disagree with sfield on macs ... they have a couple of lines, and i found their "commercial" quality line to be a really terrific value ... probably 1/2 the price of misono and delivered probably 80% of the quality. they're the ones i bought my daughter when she set up her kitchen.
i think the reason the knife threads get so hot and heavy is because it inevitably turns into a kind of kitonbrioni d*ck-measuring competition. some people think that buying a great brand is going to make them a better cook. anyone who has spent any time with a knife knows that 90% of the people would be FAR better served buying a $40 victoronix from a restaurant supply house and then learning how to take care of it and use it. unless you're a really serious cook, anything above that is just for impressing your friends and the warm feeling you get when you look at your block and know that you spent more on your knives than your neighbor spent on his car.
by the way, after years of loving my misono, I find now that i have migrated back to my 30-year-old wusthoff. we're like an old married couple and my fling is done.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, this is one of my (many) pet peeves. Actually in a good mood this morning. Thinking of buying myself a brand new knife.
smile.gif

I can see you are in a good mood, that's why I asked
fight[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I can see you are in a good mood, that's why I asked
fight[1].gif

Well, I'm obsessed with the color white (will be convenient when they finally send me to the padded room,) so I am trying to convince myself not to buy a Nenox Corian. Sfield hates the world and loves his, which makes saying no more difficult.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chants in the distance....

"Doooo It"
"Doooo It"

.. getting louder....

"DOOOO ITTT"
"DOOOO ITTT"

you can't say no to all your adoring fans, can you?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Well, I'm obsessed with the color white
This was taken during moving, hence the mess and wires. I present to you the White Room:
photo-5.jpg
edit: was editing, dude.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice cado. and is that chair a risom?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
nice cado. and is that chair a risom?

George Nelson for Herman Miller, not Cado. Chair is just some period copycat I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads