• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, my local store had the black cadet jacket on sale for $80. I was able to return mine for $128 that I bought last month and re buy it cheaper.

The sales person was not at all nice about it though. She kept saying it has to be within 7 days for a price adjust. So I said ok here I return this jacket for full refund and buy it again for sale price. End of story.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Cool, my local store had the black cadet jacket on sale for $80. I was able to return mine for $128 that I bought last month and re buy it cheaper.

The sales person was not at all nice about it though. She kept saying it has to be within 7 days for a price adjust. So I said ok here I return this jacket for full refund and buy it again for sale price. End of story.

cool looks like i'll be going in tmrw and return some stuff i got for that cadet jacket.

but too bad they now dont allow student's discount on sale item...otherwise another 15% off of $80 would be a steal.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, they have some of their chino type pants on sale for $30. right now. I bought one pair, sorta greyish. Not sure about the color but the price was right.

did u see any USF on sale?

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
The boots that really can look more like clown boots are the Wolverine 1000 Mile Addisons:

DSC00376.jpg

I don't think the Indy boots are bad at all in that respect.

I try to keep as positive as possible on this board, but the Wolverine 1000 Miles are ridiculous. There is someone on StyleForum that supposedly paid $900 (even though retail is far less than that) for the 1000 Miles in Cordovan so that he could FARM, thus perhaps winning the StyleForum record for the most amount of bad ideas in one post.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
I try to keep as positive as possible on this board, but the Wolverine 1000 Miles are ridiculous. There is someone on StyleForum that supposedly paid $900 (even though retail is far less than that) for the 1000 Miles in Cordovan so that he could FARM, thus perhaps winning the StyleForum record for the most amount of bad ideas in one post.

The plain toe black or brown 1000mile boot is cool. I dint care for those Addison wing tip ones at all though.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
From what I have heard, the coupons do not always go to the big spenders. It sounded like the were favoring the lesser spenders to see if they would spend more I guess.

This is true, I don't buy much and was getting them month after month. I haven't been back to LA in a while but Im pretty sure there are a few waiting in the mail for me.

CEE88

Reaction score
Over the years J.Crew has done a great job of tracking what's discussed in the blogoshphere & sold in boutique stores -- Field Notes, Red Wing, Quoddy, Inventory Magazine, Baracuta, Barbour, Hill-Side, Alden -- and then bringing it within the J.Crew umbrella. Looks like Crew did it again -- Corgi socks. I'd seen these locally in approximately one store. Corgi are very high quality (and expensive) socks, made in Wales. I have a few pairs and absolutely love'm. Apparently I can now get them at Crew. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...0356/30356.jsp

From the Corgi website:

"Everything we sell is entirely made at our factory in Ammanford, Wales, using traditional methods.

Corgi was founded in 1893 by Rhys Jones in Carmarthenshire, Wales. Today, the tradition of unbroken family involvement in the business is carried on by Chris Jones and Lisa Wood, great great grandchildren of Rhys Jones. They have maintained the uncompromising commitment to quality that has always been part of the Corgi brand. Lisa’s knitwear designs have appeared under many haute couture labels, and sell in the finest stores all over the world.

Knitwear and handmade cashmere socks

Every garment is made individually on a hand knitting machine by a highly skilled worker at our factory in Wales, UK; on average a single sweater will take up to a day to produce. The knitting patterns for all our knitwear are written by our designers in the factory using a method passed down from generation to generation, thereby ensuring everything is perfectly shaped and of the highest quality. Each garment is made from a number of fully fashioned pieces (front, back, sleeves etc.) that are carefully hand knitted on flat bed knitting machines. These pieces are then linked together by our team of highly skilled hand linkers before being passed to the hand sewers who finish the garments, attaching buttons and zips, and then carefully hand sewing all ends to give a very high quality finish. All garments are then carefully laundered before being labeled, packed and shipped to our customers..

Socks

The toe of every sock we make is closed using the traditional method of hand linking, described more fully below. This extra care during the finishing process results in a completely flat seam ensuring maximum comfort during wear. All our socks are designed at our factory in Wales, before being knitted on a variety of specialized knitting machines; one machine we still use for some styles is a one hundred year old hand operated Grizwald machine.

The socks are knitted as long tubes with the toe section open, and then pass to our hand linkers to have the toes closed by the same hand techniques used for over one hundred years. The linkers carefully line up the stitches on the front and back of each toe before stitching them together. This is a highly skilled operation that takes several months to learn. The socks are then washed and dried, before being hand turned. This involves each sock being carefully checked, and all yarn ends being tightened and trimmed. This can take up to twenty minutes per pair. Then the socks are pressed on wooden size boards in a traditional press, the same one that has been used at Corgi for the past 60 years. Finally each pair of socks is labeled by hand before being packed and shipped to the customer."

http://www.corgihosiery.co.uk/categories/4/Socks.asp

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge

i'm so mad about what people spend their money on
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads