• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

prince buster

Reaction score
ok thanks for the insight, mine is more like mom's used to be so i will keep the comb in parting instead.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Sorry - means nothing to me.
confused.gif

Norwegians was of course the tag applied back in the 1930s to the soft shoe that became known as the loafer, this US version giving more than a passing nod to the Norwegian fisherman's shoe on which it was modelled. Eventually corrupted to Weejun as we know.

Later, and I think retrospectively, the chunkier loafer / shoe worn from around 1971 was called a 'Norwegian' seen here on the right:

1971.jpg

I'm wearing some here in October 1971.

Oct1971.jpg

any help?

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
1971.jpg

Just out of interest, Brideshead - what, from a London perspective, would you 'classify' the look of the three lads on the right as? (As a style I mean!)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Just out of interest, Brideshead - what, from a London perspective, would you 'classify' the look of the three lads on the right as? (As a style I mean!)

When I sort of dressed like the above i did not consider myself anything, We never said.. well we are no longer skinheads, We just moved on. Or we never looked back thinking we was once Skinheads,
It was just all forgotten.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
When I sort of dressed like the above i did not consider myself anything, We never said.. well we are no longer skinheads, We just moved on. Or we never looked back thinking we was once Skinheads,

Exactly the same with me and my mates at the time.

bunty

Reaction score
Hello MoM - you're famous ! Look at the bottom photos -
aggroandsmart.piczo.com

sorry don't know how to add link.

Anybody want a copy of 'The Way We Wore' by Robert Elms?
PM me your address and I'll send you it (got it for 20p in library sale)

Con Seanery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye

Exactly the same with me and my mates at the time.
Based on the above, I have a question for any originals in here. Did any of you stick to the skinhead look from the 60's until present day, or was that considered too backward or out of date rolling into the 70's? Also, if not (as stated above), after moving on, did you then at a future date become interested in the look again and revive that? Or are you looking back at that time with an experts retrospect, -commenting on the social history and in a way documenting the sartorial aspect as you lived it then (but not now)?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Hello MoM - you're famous ! Look at the bottom photos -
aggroandsmart.piczo.com

sorry don't know how to add link.

You mean here, the pics at the bottom? Bloody cheek - never gave my permission! Never mind.
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery
Based on the above, I have a question for any originals in here. Did any of you stick to the skinhead look from the 60's until present day, or was that considered too backward or out of date rolling into the 70's? Also, if not (as stated above), after moving on, did you then at a future date become interested in the look again and revive that? Or are you looking back at that time with an experts retrospect, -commenting on the social history and in a way documenting the sartorial aspect as you lived it then (but not now)?

I re-adopted some of the look for a while during the punk era, but as I was pushing 30 and beyond around then I didn't do so in a big way. I came back to a lot of the style in my 50s because it was smart and stylish, and because it made an old geezer look a bit distinctive, different from all the other old geezers. Oh, and because it goes with my nearly being bald!
laugh.gif

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I re-adopted some of the look for a while during the punk era, but as I was pushing 30 and beyond around then I didn't do so in a big way. I came back to a lot of the style in my 50s because it was smart and stylish, and because it made an old geezer look a bit distinctive, different from all the other old geezers. Oh, and because it goes with my nearly being bald!
laugh.gif

In a copy of British Vogue in 1978 or 79 there was a spread under the banner 'I've seen the future and it's Mod'. We all know about the Mod revival around that time and from then until now I have incorporated 'hard mod' as far as possible in my wardrobe. It does always remain a kind of benchmark throughout your life I think.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You mean here, the pics at the bottom? Bloody cheek - never gave my permission! Never mind.
smile.gif

Which ones are you MoM?

Not sure what the copper is about to do! (third of the way down on left).

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie

Little Queenie, it's all been said I think.

Perhaps I should just add that their 'cross-over' style is in each case a little different from what I recall. The crew neck on the right was, for example, being worn in 1968 in London - but obviously with different shirt and shoes although the jeans would have been the same. The guy in the roll neck is probably closer to the style I recall from 1971 - but we would have 'progressed' to slight flares by then (see my other thread - plug, plug!)

Did it have a name? See the other thread
biggrin.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ones are you MoM?

Right down at the bottom - the guy in the Harrington, the guy in the sheepskin and sta-prest, the guy in the sleeveless pullover, and the guy throttling Mark Williams (who was actually a good mate of mine).

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Right down at the bottom - the guy in the Harrington, the guy in the sheepskin and sta-prest, the guy in the sleeveless pullover, and the guy throttling Mark Williams (who was actually a good mate of mine).

All very cool indeed!

albion

Reaction score
All very cool indeed!

speaking of cool, here are three of the coolest blokes ever, in their Harringtons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads