• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knife Set

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
Looking to buy a knife set, willing to invest a good amount but looking for it as this is my knife set I dont need to worry about replacing them anytime in the forseeable future

I would like a :
chefs knife
pairing knife
bread knife
slicing knife
utility knife
Santoku

What are your reccomendations?

Please listen to my advice, best knives are from Cutco! They do a forever guarantee and will always fix your knives, sharpening i think is separate, i have a set and no regrets, these will last you a lifetime.
my gf used to work for cutco and because of her i now have a lot of cutco knives and definitely recommend them

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
Please listen to my advice, best knives are from Cutco! They do a forever guarantee and will always fix your knives, sharpening i think is separate, i have a set and no regrets, these will last you a lifetime.
my gf used to work for cutco and because of her i now have a lot of cutco knives and definitely recommend them

Cutco knives are certainly not horrible, but they're pretty close. And their company is basically like a pyramid scheme. My sister used to work for them, and now whenever I go home I have to use those godawful things to prepare mise with.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Cutco knives are certainly not horrible, but they're pretty close. And their company is basically like a pyramid scheme. My sister used to work for them, and now whenever I go home I have to use those godawful things to prepare mise with.

u r joking man... i've been using them for 2 years, she had them for over 5... great knives... pyramid yes.... crap, not at all

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
u r joking man... i've been using them for 2 years, she had them for over 5... great knives... pyramid yes.... crap, not at all
Crocket and Jones are a waste of money. You should buy Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim. They will last at least 2-5 years if you take care of them. /snark

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
If I were to invest in "the one" chef's knife, looking to spend perhaps $400-$600, what would you suggest? Currently all my knives are Shun, and they work just fine, but my Chef's knife has gotten seriously abused from overuse that I'm thinking of upgrading.
Look at boutique Japanese makers like Nenox or Hattori. Or someone from the US like Kramer. I don't think it's bad to find something comfortable and sharp, and even quite beautiful if you use it every day. Although I daresay that if your Shun is showing signs of abuse, you may want to reconsider buying a great knife. They are durable but the finer the knife, the more delicate their edge, in general. My knives from 10 years ago are worn but really don't show signs of abuse. Technique, as always, is the most important thing and if your knife is shot to **** it may be a sign that you shouldn't be buying something better until you improve your use of your current knife.
They're bad. I'm sorry but you just don't know how knives work or probably how to work with them.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Crocket and Jones are a waste of money. You should buy Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim. They will last at least 2-5 years if you take care of them.

/snark

Now he's going to call you a snob.

I've seen it happen so many times. The same people that buy Berluti's and Attolini will call you a snob for other highly irrational discretionary consumer choices.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ i guess you dont know how to take care of your shoes

k you're actually in the wrong forum, seriously.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my shuns. I only need the chefs, utility and pairing knife. I have a kershaw bread knife (use it mainly for slicing tomatoes) because i didn't want to spend $100 on a bread knife.

it all depends on what feels best in your hand, I would stick with shuns or globals, personally.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey i recommended knives, guy told me some bs about c&j, i had nothing to do with that, i just responded to him, scroll up... you'll see

no bro, I'm saying you're wrong about the knives. If someone could understand why C&J is a good idea, but not see why buying the equivalent of Aldo is a bad idea, then you will understand our bewilderment and amusement at your comments.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Love my shuns. I only need the chefs, utility and pairing knife. I have a kershaw bread knife (use it mainly for slicing tomatoes) because i didn't want to spend $100 on a bread knife. it all depends on what feels best in your hand, I would stick with shuns or globals, personally.
ok I know i've said this 100 times but I almost feel like making a ******* youtube video of me slicing a tomato with my chef's knife. Why in god's name do you people think cutting a tomato with a bread knife is a good idea? I've seen this comment several times. I cannot believe that someone would spend like $200 on a very sharp chef's knife, then use a serrated knife to cut something so delicate. It baffles me. Delicately place the edge of the knife (at the heel) on the flesh of the tomato so that it catches, then pull it smoothly... the weight of the knife will make a laser like cut through the tomato.. the surface of the cut flesh should feel like marble. WTF is it with people buying tomato knives and bread knives that make your product look like ******* freddie kruger just had a field day?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads