• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

fungz0r

Reaction score
Any reason I shouldn't get a BB Fitz suit as my first suit?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Any reason I shouldn't get a BB Fitz suit as my first suit?
did you try it on?

fungz0r

Reaction score
Yes I have tried one on, but theres a local BB so I would just be going there to buy it so they can make it fit properly

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain about shirt sizing conventions, for example what does it mean - 16-34/35? I think 16-34 is the neck size range, but what is 35? See this

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16 is the neck size
34/35 is the sleeve
meaning if your sleeve length is between 34 and 35 this is shirt would work.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I have been desperate to get a cotton suit for the summer. My problem is that my size is such that I am typically relegated to buying suit separates, and I haven't yet found a place that sells cotton separates. Oh, also, I suppose I should mention that I want to spend very little on a cotton suit, so MTM is out of the question.

I did find that the LL Bean Signature, Twill Blazer would fit me in all dimensions but one. Specifically, I usually wear a 48XL and while the coat will fit my chest and arms, it is four or five inches shorter than my usual suit jacket.

How absurd would that look? I know the kids these days like their jackets short in the body, but am I running the risk of looking foolish. I would like to make the decision without having to order and send back, thereby avoiding shipping both ways.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
Newbie question: Does the jacket covering-your-butt rule really apply if you have short legs?

You can go a bit shorter, but I wouldn't recommend radically shorter.

I have been desperate to get a cotton suit for the summer. My problem is that my size is such that I am typically relegated to buying suit separates, and I haven't yet found a place that sells cotton separates. Oh, also, I suppose I should mention that I want to spend very little on a cotton suit, so MTM is out of the question.

I did find that the LL Bean Signature, Twill Blazer would fit me in all dimensions but one. Specifically, I usually wear a 48XL and while the coat will fit my chest and arms, it is four or five inches shorter than my usual suit jacket.

How absurd would that look? I know the kids these days like their jackets short in the body, but am I running the risk of looking foolish. I would like to make the decision without having to order and send back, thereby avoiding shipping both ways.
Related. You may be able to go shorter, but I'm not sure. For all I know, you may wear your coats long to begin with. Safest bet is, does it cover your ass?

erk

Reaction score
C&J last for wide foot?

For comparison, I just took delivery of an AE Strand in 12-EEE. I think it is a bit wider than I need but it sure is comfy!

Looking for a nice plain black cap-toe oxford for my wedding but I have about 6 months to get something. I really like the look of the hallam and audley...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs

You might be able to find something at J Crew in your size, but you might have luck with Ralph Lauren. It might be hard finding the length though. If you are a bigger guy a jacket that is too short will make you look bigger.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have not been on an airplane in a while. I am going to Paris next month. Will my collar stays and tie clip be confiscaded on boarding?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I have not been on an airplane in a while. I am going to Paris next month. Will my collar stays and tie clip be confiscaded on boarding?
My tie clip wasn't traveling 6 months ago. EDIT - Further info, here is the "prohibited items" list from the TSA. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm Doesn't mean these are the only things they'll confiscate, but it's a good guide.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erk
C&J last for wide foot?

For comparison, I just took delivery of an AE Strand in 12-EEE. I think it is a bit wider than I need but it sure is comfy!

Looking for a nice plain black cap-toe oxford for my wedding but I have about 6 months to get something. I really like the look of the hallam and audley...

Shipton and Heneage has wide english shoes. Not sure on the makers but you can ask and they usually repsond pretty fast. The hallam is 341 last i think so obviously will not work for you.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello,i really like new AE shoes especially this one http://tinyurl.com/5to9w72 and McTavish but i'm not sure what is waxy and wax infused leather?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads