• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me computer experts :(

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Is it system wide or user specific? Have you created a new location in network preferences? Does it work in SafeBoot? Can you boot to the OS X install disk and ping the website? Have you cleared the hosts file? Have you pulled /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ and restarted?

If you can boot to disk and ping the site then it's an issue with your OS. If you can't, and you're connected directly to the modem, then it's an issue with you're ISP

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
it's not an issue with my isp because it occurs regardless of the network im connected to (home, school, friends).

im not sure if i still have my osx install disk. i will look for it. how do i clear my host file?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody's said this---virus scan?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
but.. i have a mac!
facepalm.gif
lurker[1].gif

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I can't believe nobody's said this---virus scan?
Your Mac isn't going to get a virus any more than your toaster will.

CrackBaby

Reaction score
obviously there's something wrong with your brain, macs never do anything wrong, didn't you watch all those commercials?

cycle router, modem, restart computer, see what happens. i dunno how to do this on mac or if they even permit you to but on PC an error like that is typically your router denying access or a DNS error.

you can clear your computer's DNS cache in command prompt with:

ipconfig /flushdns

then
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

I dunno how you'd do that on a toy computer though.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dennis1024
Interesting, makes me wonder if http://195.234.175.160 would work(amnesty international).

That URL is blocked by the Great FireWall. I guess it hasn't sussed the earlier Twitter URL yet.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by codetomorrow
Actually malware for Macs does exist and it is out in the wild. But you have to really go out of your way to get it, namely installing pirated software.

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Actually malware for Macs does exist and it is out in the wild. But you have to really go out of your way to get it, namely installing pirated software.

There never has been and will never be a Mac virus. I didn't say anything about malware. Microsoft office could be considered malware. Malware is simply a very extreme version of, lets say, a poorly written application. If a user installs "I'm gonna **** up your computer.app" which requires an admin's user name and password then they deserve whatever the app does to their computer. Don't however, confuse this with a virus.

</rant>

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're an idiot.

Originally Posted by CrackBaby
obviously there's something wrong with your brain, macs never do anything wrong, didn't you watch all those commercials?

cycle router, modem, restart computer, see what happens. i dunno how to do this on mac or if they even permit you to but on PC an error like that is typically your router denying access or a DNS error.

you can clear your computer's DNS cache in command prompt with:

ipconfig /flushdns

then
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

I dunno how you'd do that on a toy computer though.

Lol at you considering Windows more powerful than Mac, which is based on BSD and has a terminal.

There never has been and will never be a Mac virus. I didn't say anything about malware. Microsoft office could be considered malware. Malware is simply a very extreme version of, lets say, a poorly written application. If a user installs "I'm gonna **** up your computer.app" which requires an admin's user name and password then they deserve whatever the app does to their computer. Don't however, confuse this with a virus.

</rant>

Still an idiot.

---

Teger, try changing your DNS settings:
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Also, is this with wifi or via ethernet? Does one work, while the other doesn't?

CrackBaby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Lol at you considering Windows more powerful than Mac, which is based on BSD and has a terminal.

look brah, clearly you're on that phaggytime 24/7 with linux or some other kind of virgin until he's 35 OS but i never said windows was inherently more powerful. i said macs were toys, and implied that users of them were children compared to windows users which is proven again and again by mac bros asking the dumbest of dumb questions and wtfing when something relatively basic goes wrong with their ****.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There never has been and will never be a Mac virus.

Wasn't there something about the Titanic been unsinkable?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrackBaby
look brah, clearly you're on that phaggytime 24/7 with linux or some other kind of virgin until he's 35 OS but i never said windows was inherently more powerful. i said macs were toys, and implied that users of them were children compared to windows users .
From experience some Windows users can be quite dumb as well. Opening every email attachement possible, installing every piece of spyware shovelwear they find. These sort of people maybe better off with a Mac. Windows in the corporate environment can be OK, because it's locked-down and administered by the IT department. Users shouldn't be able to get into trouble here, but they still do, infected USB sticks etc. Myself, I bought a Mac because I didn't want to be dealing with Windows Vista. Although I've since gone on to using Linux Mint as my main OS, and won't be buying another Mac. Now I'm living in China, is a very good reason I won't be using Windows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads