• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I liked Geller FW08 and 09 best. The fencing shirts were amazing. Honestly if I could get those in every colourway and the old W+H 07 riri flannels in every colourway I would not need any other shirts (outside of work clothes obviously). Teger part of the problem is the palette W+H has moved towards has made them basically into a slightly more interesting Gitman Bros.

As for the notion that the old world romantic prussian military-influenced stuff was "lifted from Plokhov and Cloak", it was my understanding that Geller was sort of the driver of that stuff when IN Cloak and Plokhov was more about tailoring and geometry (which IMO is reflected in his new stuff). But I cannot speak authoritatively, I just remember that being discussed at some point.

maybe, but IMO the new geller collections have shown that if did originate with him, he can't really move past it in a meaningful/good way. it's kind of the same beef i have with krane, but much less so because krane isn't really a largescale runway presented line.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
how else would you judge him other than his aesthetic?
Yeah in retrospect I'm not sure what I was saying.

but look at what blackbird has to offer: nothing but sweats and tshirts. or **** like this..

compare to this: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Robe...een_16316.html

i dont like it, but it's interesting. i like the exposed taped seams.

First off, that's Blackbird's problem. I'm consistently confused by their Geller buy. There was a store in SF that had a pretty amazing buy from last FW that reflected all of the old world charm but came off a little SZ costumey. And seriously? That bomber is ******* horrendous. We're on different wavelengths entirely.

As for the notion that the old world romantic prussian military-influenced stuff was "lifted from Plokhov and Cloak", it was my understanding that Geller was sort of the driver of that stuff when IN Cloak and Plokhov was more about tailoring and geometry (which IMO is reflected in his new stuff). But I cannot speak authoritatively, I just remember that being discussed at some point.
QFT, even if you aren't an authority. It's definitely not correct to say Plokhov was the main or only source.

the whole seconds line/the emphasis on stuff like sweatshirts and hoodies shows the direction the brand is going: he's moving towards stuff that's cheap to make and easy to sell
Yes and no. Anyway, we can exclude his Seconds line entirely? That **** is bad but I think he took his ****** urges and put them in a separate line for a reason. He does have sweats and such on his runways but so does everyone else, and with his runway they're few and far between.

...away from more artisanal/directional pieces. what made his line interesting was the old world direction ... but he's not progressing away from it in a meaningful fashion.
IMO the new geller collections have shown that if did originate with him, he can't really move past it in a meaningful/good way. it's kind of the same beef i have with krane, but much less so because krane isn't really a largescale runway presented line.
It seems hyperbolic to assume the simplification of his look is just so it's "cheap and easy to sell." His aesthetic has cleaned and simplified significantly and it's definitely more mainstream. But I could have looked at the collection without being told who it was and know it was Geller without any crazy pieces. His identity remains and it's still not like it's the most common looking **** around. And as much as I liked his old world touches, they were usually unwearable. Even his fencing jackets that he did really well stuff were pretty tough to pull off and could result in "random strings" on jackets.

But we disagree on his future and that's fine. I don't even know why I'm talking so much. I didn't even like FW that much. I'm all over SS for some reason.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I usually just answer with "[My name] speaking."
Even that's a major improvement. Just saying "hello?" makes it sound like you're answering a house phone. I was calling a colleague (at the same company I work for), and I had to identify the name of my company and who I was calling for in addition to my name. If she'd said her name, I only would've had to identify myself. I like the new W+H sneakers, but I feel like the white toe caps are a tiny bit Chuck-ish. Not that the caps look exactly like the caps on Chucks, but I think a less stark contrast - maybe tan with the brown shoes and grey with the black shoes - would look better. I'm pretty sure they're rubber, too, and I'd rather see and all-leather upper. I also think they could've found some better zippers than the paper clip-ish Ideal zips they throw on everything, which don't even glide that smoothly. edit: Was W+H ever trying to be anything other than bland? (re: Lane's comment below)

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If geller was truly moreso responsible for the "romantic prussian military influenced" style cloak had going on for it than I'm quite disgusted as well, by these recent collections. They are so unimaginative and awful.

Also, yah at face value W+H is the blandest stuff I've ever seen in my life.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the belief that everyone hated the S/S 11 Dries Van Noten collection but with one pants purchase the hype has spread. Thought I was the only person that liked it. Well, except for those god awful shoes this season.

edit: for my main reason for posting. I would wear Y-3 to church and everywhere else.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Y3

RFT: Just checked out Olive Green Rafstros on Yoox. Holy **** do those things look cool.

Any place online to buy/source it? Newport in Fashion Island has a store, but it's 2-3 hour drive for me. Also, was thinking about more bright/vibrant colors and the last i remember seeing is y-3 being pretty minimalistic/black.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
I was under the belief that everyone hated the S/S 11 Dries Van Noten collection but with one pants purchase the hype has spread. Thought I was the only person that liked it. Well, except for those god awful shoes this season.

edit: for my main reason for posting. I would wear Y-3 to church and everywhere else.

Really? I got the feeling, at least critically, it was well-received. Haven't look to how the 'net is dealing with it. Most of my SS will be based around this year's SS Geller and Dries.

Y-3 is awful.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if not Y-3 then i'm just go nike, maybe with the alt. line NSW but i have only seen some decent outerwear from them. I remember another line from nike/addidas that had shorts with bright techno lime green/yellow colors etc. that was dedicated toward running -- anymore info on that?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
anybody from chicago? any stores worth visiting?
sup chicago? blake, haberdash, and penelope's are the three i was thinking of checking out. any where else? any affiliates im forgetting?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Really? I got the feeling, at least critically, it was well-received. Haven't look to how the 'net is dealing with it. Most of my SS will be based around this year's SS Geller and Dries. Y-3 is awful.
boo! Super Assassin Poetic Fresh. Would prefer if the price of entry was a bit lower though, $400+ chukka's "no thanks". My S/S revolves around jil colorblocking and the first look of Loden Dager Spring 2011 runway. While using Robert Geller pieces lol.
I remember another line from nike/addidas that had shorts with bright techno lime green/yellow colors etc
Adidas SLVR or maybe the nike collab with Jun Takashi? dunno haven't been following it.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we're talking about this in RHET, what is swag'ed gymwear?

(inb4 "cotton tees 4 lyfe i only go to the gym to sweat brah")

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i acutally like this geller piece: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Robe...oal_17845.html

despite the lacing

I have this and I really love the laces
redface.gif

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nike "gyakusou" x undercover? that' what i want to get on for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads