• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford Clothes Re-Lining Service

kitonotik

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Hope to be able to receive some feedback from you fine gentlemen.

Issue: I have an Oxxford sport coat that I've owned for several years, bought at Neiman Marcus. The lining of the jacket has stained in the underarm area over the years and I thought a re-lining was in order. Called Oxxford directly and was told that I needed to go back to Neiman Marcus with my request and that the issue would be taken care of from that end. I asked if it would be possible to deal directly with Oxxford regarding this matter and was told no. So, I called Neiman Marcus and was told to bring the coat in and that once they looked at the work they would contact Oxxford and they would get back to me with the cost of the work.

Resolution: My question to you guys is this; have you ever had re-lining work done by Oxxford? If so, what is the average cost? I live in Chicago, would you recommend I take my jacket somewhere else for re-lining work (keeping in mind I'd like to re-affix all the Oxxford labels) any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Get a price so as to compare with a local tailor.

Having Oxxford doing the lining is similar to "recrafting" by the shoe manufacturer. You might pay more, but if you will get the same workmanship, details, etc. You might get an overhaul.

If you have a quarter lined coat, I would go to Oxxford. An outside tailor may use shortcuts. E.g., machine finishing the lining rather than hand sewing. Also, an outside tailor might not get the bellows pockets right.

Some things that a factory would do include relining (full or quarter with bellows pockets, matching sleeve lining or contrasting lining), checking the "insides", re-attaching the original labels or duplicate labels if the originals are worn-out, replacing the pockets, replacing buttons, etc.

My bottom line recommendation: go with Oxxford.

Good luck.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Do you get an email alert anytime the word "Oxxford" pops up on the forum?
smile.gif

kitonotik

Reaction score
Your feedback is much appreciated. I will do what you suggest and compare a price point between a tailor and Oxxford themselves. I was little dismayed at the fact that they would not deal directly with me and sent me to the store where the coat was purchased, even if there was a chance the store no longer had any records of me buying the jacket. I'll report back on my findings, cost and end result. Thank again!

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonotik
I will do what you suggest and compare a price point between a tailor and Oxxford themselves.

Please return and post the information that you find.

I have a couple of older Oxxford items that I will fit in again (if it kills me) and might be interested in the same service.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonotik
I was little dismayed at the fact that they would not deal directly with me and sent me to the store where the coat was purchased, even if there was a chance the store no longer had any records of me buying the jacket. I'll report back on my findings, cost and end result. Thank again!

Actually you really do want to go through a NM or other third party with Oxxford, having gone through them directly and lacking accountability it was not a good experience. Having gone through a third party like DirectClothiers when they mess up, and they mess up often , that third party has a relationship with them to make it right.

Even when I have dealt with the NY Flagship store they have messed up orders but the new manager there is better.

NM is pretty good about not caring about if they have records or what not as long as it carries the NM Oxxford tag and you pay for the work.

Somebody smarter than me that can remember what the special things inside the armpit area are called can be added if you stain that often, I remember that my salesman way back in the day told me there is a double guard or something they put in and told me a long winded story about how Cary Grant use to have them add that to the suits he had them make for him. It is not a common thing you have to ask for it.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^
+1
I live in the Chicago area, dealing with Oxxford directly is horrid.
I was given the distinct impression they really do not want to deal with individuals, but rather go through the reatailers.

Reaction score
Interesting. I had working button holes on the sleeves done by Oxxford directly. Bob Taylor was happy to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads