• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Field / Georgetown - Bespoke Pics!

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Thank you for posting these. Great to see something from one of SF's most mentioned but little seen tailors.

How do you feel this compares to your RTW? Will you commission more?

Originally Posted by greekonomist
Looks really nice. Fits well. Congratulations.

What's on order next?

All of my RTWs (mostly RLBLs with a couple of BB Madisons from the old days) have been surgically altered by Field, so they fit very well. But one thing I do notice - and am surprised by - is how snug the bespoke suit is to the back. Don't get me wrong; I can move with it fine. But I've never had anything like that snug fit and I can definitely feel it even when at ease. That takes a bit of getting used to. Still, I work with my coat on at my desk - buttoned-up of course - and am perfectly comfortable. The coat feels like a shirt.

That said, the RLBLs - now that they have been "Fielded" - are pretty damned good. I would be tempted to fill out more of my closet with them (from Ebay or some such discount outlet) in order to save money if there were a wider selection of fabrics. Unfortunately, the RLBL line is very narrow, so it's not really an option. Besides, once you figure in, say $600 for the discounted RLBL and $250-$350 to have it "Fielded," you're almost getting into W.W. Chan pricing, which is probably a better way to go.

I have indeed commissioned more from Will. In the works at present is a black mohair in Dormeiul Tonik (90% mohair - SB with only one button - jetted pockets - peak lapels - no vents) for going out at night. In short, it's a dinner jacket without the silk facing or piping on the trousers. The idea it to be able to dress it up or down as the engagement warrants.

Also in the works is a 3B marine blue summer blazer in a fresco with no vents and mother-o-pearl buttons.

Originally Posted by 330CK
That suit is absolutely fantastic!

Originally Posted by zjpj83
Looks good on you. Congrats.

Originally Posted by bkstone
The suit looks great
5086.gif

Originally Posted by CaymanS
Stellar.

Thank you all!

Originally Posted by andreyb2
J. Cogburn, looks like a superb understated suit cut in English tradition.

Congratulations!

The shoulders might be a little too wide (to my eyes)... though it's difficult to say based on photos alone.

You may be right about the shoulders. I asked Will to give me a nice V and to err on the side of larger shoulders. He thinks they're fine fit-wise but they are admittedly not very fashion-forward at present.

Originally Posted by Coburn
I've never warmed up to DB and but that fit is quite good. If I could get a DB to fit like that, I might be willing to wear them.

I see a little excess fabric on the upper back and and the lower rear sleeve head but I wonder, is that the suit or is it you?
Are you standing more erect posing for the photograph then you were during the fitting?

I like your choice of blue on blue stripes -- more subtle then white on blue. But, I'm pretty conservative.

I wish you had added a pocket square, that would've enhanced the look and broken up the monotony of that great swath of blue fabric across you torso. I've always thought that DB need!!!!! a pocket square.

Not fond of the tie. It doesn't seem on par with the quality of the suit. I hate that pattern -- don't care for bow ties either.

I'd like to see the fit in the context of a full length shot. I suspect the true quality of the fit is not well captured by these photographs

Next time you wear it, try a straight tie, pocket square and get a full length shot with shoes.

Good questions and comments.

I went with the DB for exactly that reason; it's hard to find a DB off the rack that fits well and flatters - so based on the theory that one should have a few DBs in the closet, it seemed like a good candidate for my first bespoke order.

The extra fabric is an illusion. It wears quite cleanly; probably my posture and the fact that I wear my coat at my desk so it gets a bit wrinkled during the day.

Agree with the sky blue stipes. In fact, I worried that they were still going to be too dramatic after the initial order was made, but the blue-on-blue keeps things a bit subtle.

I usually do wear a pocket square, but (a) I didn't have time this morning to iron my PS linen - and all three of my white linen squares really needed it, and (b) I thought the bow-tie was dandy enough. Put a PS on this rig and I worry that we've got one dandification too many. I don't usually wear a bow-tie by the way; only once every couple of weeks. But I hadn't wore one in a while and a bow-tie looks better on a DB than a SB in my opinion, so that's why I put one on this morn.

The bow-tie is a Ralph Lauren Polo. It's the only RL Polo tie I own. Most are Drakes or Hobers. So you may be right about the tie, but I dunno - it looks pretty good up close and personal.

Next week, I'll give the suit your treatment and post.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
I like the suit. However, those shoulder divots would drive me nuts on a bespoke piece.

The issue kept coming up in the fittings. I plan on returning to the issue when I see Will on Friday to go over my next commissions.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Great to finally see some pics of a Field in the wild.

Indeed. Will's clientel are not the kind who are going to be posting here and I thought it was high time he got some attention with our kind. He's familiar with Style Forum and was enthusiastic over the prospect of a post.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Great suit, JC. I'm in an advocacy firm on the Independence side of Jenkin's Hill. Perhaps we ought to get some of the SF-DC gang together for Hendricks gin martinis some night.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Great suit, JC. I'm in an advocacy firm on the Independence side of Jenkin's Hill. Perhaps we ought to get some of the SF-DC gang together for Hendricks gin martinis some night.

That might be worth coming home for (I am a native Warshingtonian).

Mike

J. Cogburn

Reaction score

Well, we're more-or-less in the same business then. A get together would be fun, particularly since - as coincidence would have it - I am both a gin drinker and a Hendricks fan.

Interestingly enough, two colleagues from my office are on these style boards - primarily at Ask Andy however.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks really good to me! Great to see what DC bespoke has to offer in the flesh.

I don't think the divots are an issue; they are likely due to imperfect posture in the picture.

Nice work, J.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
A get together would be fun, particularly since - as coincidence would have it - I am both a gin drinker and a Hendrick's fan.
Let's plan it, then. Be great to meet ya'll in IRL, including ex-pat Mike. I'm a fan of "Off the Record" at the Hay Adams...
The-Hay-Adams-photos-Restorant.JPEG
But am definitely up for suggestions.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Let's plan it, then. Be great to meet ya'll in IRL, including ex-pat Mike. I'm a fan of "Off the Record" at the Hay Adams...

The-Hay-Adams-photos-Restorant.JPEG

But am definitely up for suggestions.

Sounds like a good idea to me. You should start a new thread on the topic.

S. Able

Reaction score
Do you know if William ended up bringing over that female coatmaker from Huntsman? When I spoke with him over the summer, he mentioned something about interviewing her while he was in England. Thanks again for posting pics.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats - wonderful result.
I have only used Will for alterations, (or Surgery as you put it). I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a commission.

vncrz

Reaction score
Very nice! I had Field do some alterations to a suit of mine and it came out great, but I had yet to see any of his bespoke works.

Originally Posted by jrd617
Looks nice!

Interesting juxtaposition of background objects. An Ayn Rand poster and a library of climate change policy books?

Indeed! Didn't mean to give away that much of my professional life, but there ya go ....

... I was a summer intern there 3 years ago
devil.gif

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Very nice! I had Field do some alterations to a suit of mine and it came out great, but I had yet to see any of his bespoke works.

... I was a summer intern there 3 years ago
devil.gif

Where - my place?

He wears his own stuff, so he's a good model for his work and house style. He was wearing a DB when I came in at one point and I was really impressed. That gave me a lot of piece of mind.

Originally Posted by S. Able
Do you know if William ended up bringing over that female coatmaker from Huntsman? When I spoke with him over the summer, he mentioned something about interviewing her while he was in England. Thanks again for posting pics.

No, he hired someone else from the Row. Older gentleman.

Originally Posted by earthdragon
Congrats - wonderful result.
I have only used Will for alterations, (or Surgery as you put it). I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a commission.

Thanks. His stellar work on my OTR suits persuaded me to just go ahead and do it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed! Didn't mean to give away that much of my professional life, but there ya go ....

So you're a well-dressed Fascist climate change denier. Cool.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have always heard great things about Field's but never seen pics before of his work. Unfortunately, I have never made it to his shop either.

Thank you for posting.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
So you're a well-dressed Fascist climate change denier. Cool.
One out of three aint bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads