• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off)

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the neutrality and versatility of gray! Right on with this thread!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

zerostyle

Reaction score
When you are mentioning brown jackets, are you referencing sport coats, or an actual outerwear jacket?

(I haven't really worn sport coats much, but am open to it. How about on the cooler days where I'd like something that gives me a little more coverage?)

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
As a spin off on Parker's great thread, i decided to start another thread on GRAY ... second only to BLUE in my opinion as the greatest color a man can wear. Gray is like a canvas, which allows you to paint to your heart's desire (or detriment).

My personal preference is for mid and light gray ... any variation from stone to charcoal can be a winner also, when done right.

Some examples to start it off ...

9ac7c254.jpg

That DB was made by P Johnson Tailor in Paddington, Sydney.

I actually tried it on (as a Master Garment) when I got fitted for a suit on Tuesday... It is sublime.
inlove.gif

Also, I agree Niidawg, gray is the most versatile colour there is for suiting, with navy a close second.

Eagerly awaiting my gray, SB POW check from P Johnson now!
bounce2.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of teh grey....all shades.

Mike

FlannelDB-1.JPG

GreyDay.JPG

GreySpano1.jpg

POWDB1.JPG

SFApproved-1.JPG

WildCard-1.JPG

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
When you are mentioning brown jackets, are you referencing sport coats, or an actual outerwear jacket?

Sport coats

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like gray, and have it in all shades, but navy is my favorite.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
That DB was made by P Johnson Tailor in Paddington, Sydney.

I actually tried it on (as a Master Garment) when I got fitted for a suit on Tuesday... It is sublime.
inlove.gif

Also, I agree Niidawg, gray is the most versatile colour there is for suiting, with navy a close second.

Eagerly awaiting my gray, SB POW check from P Johnson now!
bounce2.gif

Yup - if i ever make it down under (here's to hoping for a work trip to HK and AUS this fall), P. Johnson will be on the list of places to check out.

The stuff i've seen from them so far has been stellar. Have they been around for a while? Hadn't heard of them till i set up my blog and saw their feed coming across thru Ethan's blog.

jwmbro

Reaction score
As a spin off on Parker's great thread, i decided to start another thread on GRAY ... second only to BLUE in my opinion as the greatest color a man can wear. Gray is like a canvas, which allows you to paint to your heart's desire (or detriment).

My personal preference is for mid and light gray ... any variation from stone to charcoal can be a winner also, when done right.

Some examples to start it off ...
e3df7795.jpg

Wow, I really really dig this suit / color combo. Even despite the strange cartoon head. Any more info on this? Is this someone from SF? Well done.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup - if i ever make it down under (here's to hoping for a work trip to HK and AUS this fall), P. Johnson will be on the list of places to check out.

The stuff i've seen from them so far has been stellar. Have they been around for a while? Hadn't heard of them till i set up my blog and saw their feed coming across thru Ethan's blog.

I think they've been in the biz for a few years, friend. Used to be called the Suit Shop, when Patrick was just starting out. Like you, I only heard about them through Ethan's old blog (the pre-tumbr days).

They also sell some Drakes ties for a relative bargain.

Worth a trip if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

Give us a yell if you make it down here, niidawg; be awesome to catch up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads