• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes and Your Body ... Physical Irregularities

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my sartorial journey, adventure etc i have come to learn things about my body i did not know existed. This thread is to share some of the things you have learnt about your body (as long as its not TMI ... lol) and how you have been able to accomodate for them through the power of Men's Tailored Clothing.

I'll start ... i found out i have a lower right shoulder (as do a lot of people), my right arm is a little longer than my left arm and the circumference of my left bicep/tricep is a little bigger than its right counterpart.

I typically resolve the shoulder issue through padding ... and the arm issue through disproportionate sleeve lengths. Still working with my tailor to figure out how to accomodate the bicep/tricep issue.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Interesting thread..

I would say I have to get most everything altered. Nothing is 'slim' fitting enough. I also notice my lower half of my body is more athletic than my upper half (perhaps due to so much walking), so I have to keep that in mind when altering. Or perhaps just work my upper body more.

Also my sister says I have a big head, lol. Kidding.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have slight gut and Im a size 38.

So I cant do OTR suits at all.

I learned that suits are going to cost me a fortune.

D Yizz

Reaction score
1. Apparently, my left leg is slightly longer than my right one. Fix: different length pant legs.

2. I also have your bicep circumference dilemma, which has not been resolved, but minimized by years of weight training.

3. My butt is very pronounced. Hence, I have problems with suit vents opening, especially single vented ones. Solution: stay away from single vents.

Lear

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I'm all lears.

Lear

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love handles, knocked knees, flat seat, high forward pointing hips. I'm a mess.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm a perfect specimen of a man.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fat ass. Solution: have to take all the trousers in at the waist.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
3. My butt is very pronounced. Hence, I have problems with suit vents opening, especially single vented ones. Solution: stay away from single vents.

I have the same problem! It sucks because my waist is much smaller than my butt so I will never be able to get a suit slimmed down to where I want it
frown.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Expressions Realia
Interesting thread..

Also my sister says I have a big head, lol. Kidding.

this may fall in the inappropriate tmi realm
stirpot.gif

Originally Posted by teddieriley

a man you say
biggrin.gif

srsly though my chest/shoulders are kind of broad, i wear a 45/46 jacket. but my gut is not very large so a jacket that fits up top tends to look like a tent around the waist. i have to find a good tailor that can fix this with my older suits. im thinking fields in dc is the closest tailor to me i can trust not to f up my better stuff. my last suit was done mtm at syd jerome in chicago and they did a pretty good job taking care of this.

great thread nii looking forward to following its progress

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
My right foot is slightly smaller than my left, even though there are the exact same # of toes on each.

i would say prob 99% of people in the world have at least slightly diff size feet

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most of the things we are discussing are minor bodily "irregularities" rather than true, serious deformities. As I understand it, most men have one shoulder higher than another. I do. This is why good bespoke will always look better than RTW of equivalent quality. It takes into account irregularities.

In my own case, the biggest obstacle to my getting a good RTW fit is that I am a size 46 through the shoulders and a 48 through the chest, as one salesman at Brooks summed it up once. Having discovered Chan, I could never imagine going back to RTW.

I have no problem with RTW trousers however.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I think most of the things we are discussing are minor bodily "irregularities" rather than true, serious deformities. As I understand it, most men have one shoulder higher than another. I do. This is why good bespoke will always look better than RTW of equivalent quality. It takes into account irregularities.

In my own case, the biggest obstacle to my getting a good RTW fit is that I am a size 46 through the shoulders and a 48 through the chest, as one salesman at Brooks summed it up once. Having discovered Chan, I could never imagine going back to RTW.

I have no problem with RTW trousers however.

good point - i'll edit the title to irregularities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics