• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to stay in Venice.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking for a 4ish star hotel for a few nights in late May.

Thanks in advance.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Londra Palace has beautiful rooms, and one of the better restaurants.

Venice ******* sucks though. I'll maybe go back in 30 years to see if I still care, but most likely not. It's one of the world's "Great cities" that I have absolutely no urge to ever visit again. I've been there about a dozen times and it was 11 too many.

I also agree on Gritti, but that's kind of a high budget place. Then again so is Londra, but it's in a more annoying location than Gritti. Staying at the Londra, with a balcony facing the canal, you're like 10 feet from the barbarian hordes, only separated by a marble banister. It has this sort of Winter Palace vibe, Russia circa Red October...

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Londra Palace has beautiful rooms, and one of the better restaurants.

Venice ******* sucks though. I'll maybe go back in 30 years to see if I still care, but most likely not. It's one of the world's "Great cities" that I have absolutely no urge to ever visit again. I've been there about a dozen times and it was 11 too many.

I also agree on Gritti, but that's kind of a high budget place. Then again so is Londra, but it's in a more annoying location than Gritti. Staying at the Londra, with a balcony facing the canal, you're like 10 feet from the barbarian hordes, only separated by a marble banister. It has this sort of Winter Palace vibe, Russia circa Red October...

I'm going at the plea of my girlfriend - we are staying basically a day and a half. Rest of the time will be spent exploring Florence, Siena, et al.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the bar at the Gritti, though like sfield, I dislike Venice. It's best if it is pouring rain so you can just run back to your room, screw, look over the canal and then go get a drink downstairs.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love the bar at the Gritti, though like sfield, I dislike Venice. It's best if it is pouring rain so you can just run back to your room, screw, look over the canal and then go get a drink downstairs.

+1

Spent 2 days in venice last time I was there. I think we left the hotel once and it was to eat. It just really sucks there.

Unregistered

Reaction score
My fiancee and I enjoyed our stay at the Ai Due Principi greatly, and loved the city.

Terrific food if you take the time to find good places.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered

Terrific food if you take the time to find good places.

?

I think Venice is the worst food city in Italy.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
?

I think Venice is the worst food city in Italy.

We found 2 very local family restaurants tucked into the backstreets somewhere on the eastern side of Venice that had food rivaling all the best we had in Rome, Milan or Florence.

Granted we did only stay in these relatively larger cities on our trip and didn't get a chance to venture into the country where the best food could be found...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
We found 2 very local family restaurants tucked into the backstreets somewhere on the eastern side of Venice that had food rivaling all the best we had in Rome, Milan or Florence.

Granted we did only stay in these relatively larger cities on our trip and didn't get a chance to venture into the country where the best food could be found...

Yeah, they aren't the strongest food cities either, especially Rome and Milan.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agreed, but I learned early on that if you ask they locals where they eat, they'll usually direct you to the best places. Every time I've done that, I've always been blown away. Last time we were in Venice, a local dude gave us very precise directions to a restaurant that was a 20 minute walk away from the center. It was a hike, but worth it. Best food I ever had.

Of course, speaking Italian helps.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've only been 3-4 times, but i found i always had remarkably more fun when i stayed away from the center ... the further from san marco the better. there are still traces of real venice and they're great. it's a weird city in that it seems to me everyplace that is universally recommended is kind of disappointing. but wandering and stopping in for cichetti and an ombra at a neighborhood place you still can get remarkable food. one big deal place i wholeheartedly recommend: ai do mori, which is god's own wine bar.

richmaguni

Reaction score
About half the "real" places I remember from growing up there are closed or have been turned into more tacky bag, mask, or pizza kebab stores.

Do Mori is great for a drink. Also Ca D'oro (La Vedova), which is actually right off the strada nuova, for an inexpensive and good meal, or more chichetti.

Can't help you much with hotel recommendations as I've never stayed in any, but personally I feel that even the expensive ones are gilded dumps that aren't really worth the price.

As a break from the normal Venice stuff I would recommend checking out Pinault's gallery at the punta della dogana.

max b

Reaction score
Just a suggestion : also if you will not stay there, visit the lounge bar at the roof of Molino Stucky Hilton hotel on the Giudecca Island. You will have the most beautiful "panorama" of the city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads