• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Bowtie choice — which is more correct?

Mac

Reaction score
I'm wearing a grosgrain peak lapel dinner suit for an upcoming black tie event, and I was wondering which bowtie is more correct? Are either of these grosgrain? Should I pick one up or keep looking?

I realise that the bowtie should match the material of the lapels, but the bowties offered on the dinner suit site are rather lacking.

0033.jpg

0003.jpg

This neck bowtie is no longer for sale, but is it what I should be looking for?

088.jpg

Thanks,
Mac.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been struggling with a similar issue, trying to find a satin midnight blue tie to match the lapels of my tux. I ended up emailing Carrot & Gibbs to see if they could accommodate me. They are sending me a few satin samples to see which works best for my lapels. Perhaps this will be a good option for you as well.

Sotiris

Reaction score
Keep looking

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLPL grosgrain are great! They tie the best knots of any bowtie I've found.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
What about the pictured bowties?

Those are not grosgrain.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bro, grosgrain is a rib-textured fabric used mostly for ribbons (redundant, right?). have you not seen it before? if you have a medal of achievment of any kind the strap is likely grosgrain. if your wife or daughter has a ribbon it's likely grosgrain. here is a great wikipedia pic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bon_detail.JPG

cncrd

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel guilty about this now, but I've never bothered overmuch to match my bowties with lapel facings every time. All three of my jackets are black/grosgrain faced, but I've worn bowties (all black) with various silk textures, from smooth to matching grosgrain to textured (not quite so much as the OP's photos) and never felt it was particularly glaring.

I think a textured bow (I actually like the Tom Ford ones shown) is a nice way to have a little fun while still being fairly subtle. Would never do any bow color other than black, of course.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, got it. If anyone has a Tom Ford grosgrain bowtie they're willing to sell, shoot me a PM.

Any particular reason it has to be Tom Ford? They are nice and all but you could probably get one just as nice from T&A or almost anywhere for less.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads