• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mikleinad1

Reaction score
I have a pair of board shorts that I really like but I've slimmed down a little over the past year. They fit a little loose on me, and I'm wondering if it is at all possible to tailor board shorts. Opinions?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
I do not know if the tragic thing is me responding to your pointless crap or you wasting your time in the beginning.

luv you too bro chillax
smile.gif

centsofstyle

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my predicament. I went to the tailor to get my shirts tapered a bit. I asked him to taper them so they would not look as baggy. He asked me to stand up straight. He pinned the shirt down the sides and asked me if I was comfortable. Then I took the shirt off and gave it to him.

I got my shirt back and now it fits perfectly when I am standing up; however, due to my belly I am unable to sit down comfortably. The shirts buttons are straining and the placket is mostly open and almost exposing my belly. It fits really tight and is applies a lot of pressure to my stomach. My impression when I took the shirt to the tailor was that he would account for the amount needed to sit down comfortably. Was this presumption wrong? Should I have thought about this or is it my tailors responsibility?

I know that when someone makes a shirt he takes into account the amount of room needed for when sitting down. I thought that this would be the same scenario. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

shanks59

Reaction score
I'm after a grey V-neck knit, reasonably heavyweight, but not thick. Suggestions gratefully accepted

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centsofstyle
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my predicament. I went to the tailor to get my shirts tapered a bit. I asked him to taper them so they would not look as baggy. He asked me to stand up straight. He pinned the shirt down the sides and asked me if I was comfortable. Then I took the shirt off and gave it to him.

I got my shirt back and now it fits perfectly when I am standing up; however, due to my belly I am unable to sit down comfortably. The shirts buttons are straining and the placket is mostly open and almost exposing my belly. It fits really tight and is applies a lot of pressure to my stomach. My impression when I took the shirt to the tailor was that he would account for the amount needed to sit down comfortably. Was this presumption wrong? Should I have thought about this or is it my tailors responsibility?

I know that when someone makes a shirt he takes into account the amount of room needed for when sitting down. I thought that this would be the same scenario. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

tailoring and manufacturing are very different. when the shirt is manufactured they are basing it off whatever "mold" so to speak they decided on for that shirt. the tailor is now adjusting that. if he simply snipped the sides and closed it up while he may have succeded in tapering he now created a new problem he did not compensate for. this is very common in tailoring if not expertly done. think taking in a jacket back and not considering how it will affect the vents, or a trouser waist/seat adjutment. changing a rtw garment is not always so simple

asdf

Reaction score
If i'm a 42L in Hickey Freeman Madison-cut, what size am I in Brooks' Regent?

Further info: 44L in most RL cuts

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
Thanks for the replies.

I love the Allen-Edmonds and the Crockett and Jones but can you guys tell me what's a brand that's just one step down from Allen-Edmond? I don't know if I want to spend $325 on a pair of shoes just yet.

Consider the B&S section here, or ebay - you can find brand new A&Es at reduced prices.

A step down would be Johnston & Murphy.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
Thanks for the replies.

I love the Allen-Edmonds and the Crockett and Jones but can you guys tell me what's a brand that's just one step down from Allen-Edmond? I don't know if I want to spend $325 on a pair of shoes just yet.

You can easily find Allen Edmonds shoes for considerably less than $325. Look on the B&S forum and eBay for new and gently used AE shoes. Some people dread the thought of wearing gently used shoes, but I think buying a shoe that has been worn only a few times is fine. I have purchased AE shoes on eBay in near new condition for $100 and less. Allen Edmonds is good because they offer recrafting service where you can have the soles and uppers replaced for $100. If you are still looking for a step-down shoe, you could try the Florsheim Imperial line. I would stay away from Johnston & Murphy.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvermagenta
Is it possible to convert a 3-button suit to a 3-roll-2 button suit?

You can try to re-jigger the role with steaming and ironing, but the lapels are set a certain way and there is only so much you can typically do. good luck.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
If i'm a 42L in Hickey Freeman Madison-cut, what size am I in Brooks' Regent?

Further info: 44L in most RL cuts

You are almost certainly 42L. I am the same - 42L in just about everything but RLBL where I am a 44L. Polo seems to fall in between in some cuts. I bought a 44L jacket on pretty deep discount that fit well in the shoulders, but the body needed some tailoring to make it look right.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
You are almost certainly 42L. I am the same - 42L in just about everything but RLBL where I am a 44L. Polo seems to fall in between in some cuts. I bought a 44L jacket on pretty deep discount that fit well in the shoulders, but the body needed some tailoring to make it look right.

Thanks, this was my suspicion.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I'm 5'10" and currently looking at a trench coat on eBay. It says it's 44" long. I'm at work and can't seem to really find any guidelines online for proper length. Will this jacket be too long for me?

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Upload it to photobucket.com, and use the link they provide.

Thanks so much, I am now a posting fool, instead of just a fool!

RandysTie-Belt-Shirt-PantsCloseup3-9-11.jpg

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I just bought my first pair of truly nice shoes: Allen Edmond Malverns in dark brown with dainite sole. I purchased them on sale (of course) for $167.53 including taxes That being said, they are a little shopworn, from being tried on or whatever. The same shop has a pair of Alden all weather walkers in tan scotch grain. Cost of those is $200 before taxes. Crepe with leather sole. They are truly beautiful in their construction, but kind of "clunky." Even though they're boots, the AEs are sleeker. Here are some pics of the AEs
sHnpG.jpg
mTEjf.jpg
I don't have pics of the Alden's, but they are this model: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=79KC in a lighter color. BTW, I am not choosing based on color, just style/quality if that makes a difference. Also, if this is a good deal for someone out there I would be happy to proxy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads