• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fat guy with a date: need help with style, fit, choices!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
You're, just wanted to say that before the spelling police douches show up and point out the irony of that post

um ... yeah.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Defiantly back the Tommy Bahama, but you can go anywhere that offers Big & Tall sizing. Banana Republic, Joseph A. Bank etc.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CallMeCoach
In all seriousness, would a tailor be an option?

since this hasnt been answered yet...yea, no matter the size, a tailor is ALWAYS an option. No body is made the same, yet OTR shirts/pants are. A tailor fixes this. Definitely worth the money.

Welcome here...your sense of humor will help hahahaha

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CallMeCoach
Thanks fellas. I was glad I found this site -- tough to get fashion advice in my situation. Even if I were 50 lbs lighter, I'd still want the advice. But thanks, I'll have to look into this "weighloss" thing.
no its not. pay no attention to the bs. although this is a fashion forum, please make sure you spell correctly.
smile.gif
for some reason people are very concerned with that.

Shift

Reaction score
7g rocks and jeggins = winning

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
your an idiot.

No, you're an idiot. It's a contraction of "you are".

To the OP, Cotton Works and Modern Tailor are both made-to-measure shirt makers, and both are forum affiliates. You can link to their web sites from the Men's Clothing sub-forum. Neither is particularly expensive, and they have a variety of colors and patters (just maybe stay away from big patterns and bright colors).

Shepler's has Levi's 501s going up to a 42 waist (http://www.sheplers.com/levis-jeans-...k-to-fit.html). Dark denim will probably be more flattering than the light-wash jeans you posted.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
No, you're an idiot. It's a contraction of "you are".

To the OP, Cotton Works and Modern Tailor are both made-to-measure shirt makers, and both are forum affiliates. You can link to their web sites from the Men's Clothing sub-forum. Neither is particularly expensive, and they have a variety of colors and patters (just maybe stay away from big patterns and bright colors).

Shepler's has Levi's 501s going up to a 42 waist (http://www.sheplers.com/levis-jeans-...k-to-fit.html). Dark denim will probably be more flattering than the light-wash jeans you posted.

your an idiot.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
polo makes sizes up to 42 i think. they definitely also have a b&t line.

if you're going on a date i would recommend really thinking about how much this girl is worth to you. if you want to make a good first impression don't spare any expense.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eff it...I'll take a shot based on what stylish big friends of mine wear.

I'd look into a good quality tailored blazer. If you dropped, say, $600 including tailoring to shorten sleeves etc., you'd have something you'll have for a long time and can wear in any situation. Since you probably don't have easy access to lots of good stores, I'd go for Brooks Brothers' Web site.

This is available in up to a 48 (you may be bigger), but is an example of something that might work for you. :

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Pair that with a pair of medium-wash jeans (no gimmicks, please) and a nice white shirt and you're money. Interesting eyewear and a vintage military watch would add interest. I think the goal is to not draw attention to your middle. Alternatively you could wear a khaki cotton sports coat. at 40/32, you should pay attention to the pant/shoe interface. You don't want your pants to swallow your shoes...you might have to have a tailor taper your jeans an inch or so.

If you're bigger than any decent OTR sports coats, I'd seriously think in the future about going MTM or custom made.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Black is too obvious man. Try more blues, like this:

http://www.us.thomaspink.com/fcp/pr...ing-Stripe-Men's-Shirt---Button-Cuff/99913604

The Thomas Pink traveller collection might be good, because it has a good silhouette, isn't too form fitting, and resists wrinkles which can be helpful if you've got a lot of real estate. For me it fits baggy. I don't know if size 19 is enough?

I agree. A decent quality (no mall brands) thin striped shirt under a blazer would look great. (on anyone).

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i_pod_sux
Whoe, calm down there big boy, just letting you know. *****.
Originally Posted by whatever123
your an idiot, i_pod_sux.
+1, you ruined my day with your comment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads