• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Navy

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I wear a light blue shirt, dark brown knit tie and dark grey trousers with my navy SC. The other combo is white shirt and navy pindot tie.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ I wear a light blue shirt, dark brown knit tie and dark grey trousers with my navy SC. The other combo is white shirt and navy pindot tie.

Both of those would work with a navy suit. You could wear black shoes easily with the second combo.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont know, my navy suit is darker than my SC. Also it is quite a bit more formal with besom pockets. I generally wear it to night time weddings etc, with a white shirt and a navy/silver tie.

Anyways, post a pic of navy suit that you think is done well ...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyways, post a pic of navy suit that you think is done well ...

Some of mine that you've probably seen already. Whether or not you agree it's done well....

5452944881_06993a8315_z.jpg

5431389976_cf3118867e_z.jpg

5243603921_c725abbaf2_z.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1156160587_5GB4p-M.jpg

I love the shirt and suit here! Tie is ok, I would have done something solid with texture I think

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ i will put it another way, replace the navy/blue suit in any of the pics with a grey one and it will look better. Same shirt, same tie

I believe you would be in a tiny minority in any round-table discussion about apparel.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was a choice between grey and navy, only a tiny minority would choose grey?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was a choice between grey and navy, only a tiny minority would choose grey?

I would guess the opposite. It seems that gray is the colour of choice, and blue is more fashion forward/less conservative. (where I'm at at least - midwest)

Gun to my head, I would go charcoal or medium gray if I had to choose only one colour. It can be worn anywhere, from a wedding to a funeral
thumbs-up.gif

That being said, I love navy/blue and I wear it as often as I can!

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that's a tricky question because while there are more shades of grey that look good than there are shades of navy/blue.

Personally I think navy suits look better than charcoal suits, at least on me, and I have an easier time pairing ties and other accessories to navy than charcoal. But that distinction goes out the window when we switch to mid grey.

So, my hierarchy:

Navy = mid grey: Looks great, is subtle and understated; I could get by on nothing but these two.

Light grey: Looks great but tends to stick out more, not as understated as navy/mid grey so somewhat less versatile.

Charcoal: Classic and understated but I don't like the way it looks on me; I have one and that's all I need.

Air force blue: Doesn't look as nice as navy and tends to stick out. I like this color in theory, and on others, but doubt I'll ever get a suit made up in it becuase I'll always wind up picking a navy suit over it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I believe you would be in a tiny minority in any round-table discussion about apparel.

Start a pole. Post good examples of both. Let the masses decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads