• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
above the text box is a square icon with mountains click on it paste the link in there you may need to allow pop ups
I tried it and a dialog box popped up looking for a URL - "Please enter the URL of your image:" I want to paste a jpg from my hard drive.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer
I tried it and a dialog box popped up looking for a URL - "Please enter the URL of your image:" I want to paste a jpg from my hard drive.

Upload it to photobucket.com, and use the link they provide.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by centsofstyle
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with my predicament. I went to the tailor to get my shirts tapered a bit. I asked him to taper them so they would not look as baggy. He asked me to stand up straight. He pinned the shirt down the sides and asked me if I was comfortable. Then I took the shirt off and gave it to him.

I got my shirt back and now it fits perfectly when I am standing up; however, due to my belly I am unable to sit down comfortably. The shirts buttons are straining and the placket is mostly open and almost exposing my belly. It fits really tight and is applies a lot of pressure to my stomach. My impression when I took the shirt to the tailor was that he would account for the amount needed to sit down comfortably. Was this presumption wrong? Should I have thought about this or is it my tailors responsibility?

I know that when someone makes a shirt he takes into account the amount of room needed for when sitting down. I thought that this would be the same scenario. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

You are not mistaken. They do take into account the room needed for sitting down. Your tailor, however, did not.

Time to sell those shirts or give 'em away ...and chalk it up to experience. I'd get a new tailor, too.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staggerlee
Hi,
First post here- quick question and probably a noob question.
Are Oxblood and Burgundy the same color?

Thanks!

I'm new here too, but my first experience into trying to dress more stylish was when I recently bought some polish for my "oxblood" colored Dressport wingtip shoes. The woman at Men's Warehouse didn't know what I was talking about when I said oxblood. She asked another associate and he said that burgundy was the same color. I think there is a "political correctness" around the term oxblood. Also, there are some finer details regarding the distinction between commonly held beliefs about the interchangeable terms used to describe oxblood, burgundy, and cordovan shoes.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
I'm looking to buy a pair of nice professional black dress shoes and I'm wondering what kind of "toe" I should buy. I'm a shorter guy (5'9") with a muscular build. I've read somewhere that short guys should buy squared off toes but I've also read that cap-toed dress shoes are the gold-standard for professional dress shoes. I also don't want something too pointy. Any tips?

The black cap toe oxford is the shoe.
If you don't want something too rounded, you can go for a chiseled toe. See for example the Crocket and Jones Audley,
http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/handgrade-audley.html

Don't be put off by more rounded toes, though, they can look very nice with the right last.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staggerlee
Hi,
First post here- quick question and probably a noob question.
Are Oxblood and Burgundy the same color?

Thanks!

To my mind, oxblood is redder:
http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...t-oxblood.html

Burgundy has more black in it, or is simply darker, maybe richer:
http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/shoes/...t-oxblood.html

Think Rainer cherry color vs. Bing Cherry color if that makes sense to you. I'm really looking forward to cherry season.
For both of them, there is going to be a range of color.

KVH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Square-toed shoes are vilified here; especially those Kenneth Cole monstrosities. Regardless, if your aim is to look professional, I would avoid them.

I guess cap-toes could, theoretically, be pointy...

But you should be fine with anyghing that is not square. Allen Edmonds shoes are generally recomended as a reliable shoe, and a reliable starting point into the upper end of things. Check out their web site. Most everything business-y looking should be just fine.

Originally Posted by Archivist
The black cap toe oxford is the shoe.
If you don't want something too rounded, you can go for a chiseled toe. See for example the Crocket and Jones Audley,
http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/handgrade-audley.html

Don't be put off by more rounded toes, though, they can look very nice with the right last.

Thanks for the replies.

I love the Allen-Edmonds and the Crockett and Jones but can you guys tell me what's a brand that's just one step down from Allen-Edmond? I don't know if I want to spend $325 on a pair of shoes just yet.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvermagenta
Is it possible to convert a 3-button suit to a 3-roll-2 button suit?

Generally no. It depends on construction, but the odds are very much that your standard 3 button was constructed in such a way that it would look really awkward if you tried to change the roll of the lapel.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Conan O'Brien. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what brand suit he wears?

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Quick question to the experts :

what to wear on a shaved head on a cold evening with a 3 piece suit?

Thanks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Hi, can you recommend some good Key-Holders that also is able to hold plastic Visa Cards?

Originally Posted by Bob Smith

Thanks.

good lord

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Smith

Thanks.

A fedora

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads