• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to justify spending $700 on a 68 fender twin with jensen neo's when I already have a '69 fender twin I don't really play anymore.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'm trying to justify spending $700 on a 68 fender twin with jensen neo's when I already have a '69 fender twin I don't really play anymore.

The obvious answer is to go for it, and then run them in stereo.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
went to go see clapton a few weeks ago and then came home and dug out my guitar from the closet, been sitting in there for a couple years.
redface.gif

180012_971236816630_15904009_50143658_4086648_n.jpg

When I get to Japan I am gonna pick up one of those special non-catalog Clapton-alikes they made for the Japanese market, they're spec'ed out exactly like the original '90's EC signature Strats minus the autograph, they sell for like 800 bones new. I had a MIJ '50's strat with the V neck like 15 years ago and loved that thing, but it was worse for the wear and I ended up trading it to a stoner for non-guitar stuff.
redface.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do it. Then keep the best sounding one. I bet there will be a difference.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
went to go see clapton a few weeks ago and then came home and dug out my guitar from the closet, been sitting in there for a couple years.
redface.gif

180012_971236816630_15904009_50143658_4086648_n.jpg

Pretty. I'd like to find a natural Riviera from the 90's and make it all Strokes like. Or find a Valensi elitist.

I've decided to replace my Big Muff with something that will cut through the mix a bit better. What fuzz does everyone use? I'm very seriously considering a Diamond Fireburst, maybe to replace both my Muff and my Shredmaster. Actually, I'm considering replacing everything on my board with Diamond stuff - I'm just so damn impressed with the compressor.

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I've decided to replace my Big Muff with something that will cut through the mix a bit better. What fuzz does everyone use? I'm very seriously considering a Diamond Fireburst, maybe to replace both my Muff and my Shredmaster. Actually, I'm considering replacing everything on my board with Diamond stuff - I'm just so damn impressed with the compressor.

Hmm...I've not heard the Diamond fuzz but agree that the compressor sounds awesome. I also have (and love) the Diamond vibrato. What kind of fuzz are you going for? I mean there's lots of choices between 60s shredded speaker to Smashing Pumpkins/90s saturation...

Fuzzes are definitely sensitive to pickup/amp combinations as well...a certain pedal that sounds killer with my tele/silverface fender rig might sound like ass through an SG/matchless rig, for example. I'm a fan of the various Fulltone fuzz pedals; also the zvex fuzz factory.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pistolero
Hmm...I've not heard the Diamond fuzz but agree that the compressor sounds awesome. I also have (and love) the Diamond vibrato. What kind of fuzz are you going for? I mean there's lots of choices between 60s shredded speaker to Smashing Pumpkins/90s saturation...

Fuzzes are definitely sensitive to pickup/amp combinations as well...a certain pedal that sounds killer with my tele/silverface fender rig might sound like ass through an SG/matchless rig, for example. I'm a fan of the various Fulltone fuzz pedals; also the zvex fuzz factory.

I'd like something muff-like, but that cuts through the mix better. I'll mainly be using a humbucker Les Paul through an old AC30.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
I'd like something muff-like, but that cuts through the mix better. I'll mainly be using a humbucker Les Paul through an old AC30.

I'm really digging my Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz so far. It uses the Big Muff circuit but add a few more controls to help tweak thing a bit. Including a mids knob so you can cut through better.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, been listening to some PGS youtube vids and I think i'm going to go for the Red Witch Fuzz God. Holy crap does that thing sound awesome.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try out the barber trifecta. It's basically a big muff with more controls and a mid cut. I has one, but to be honest you really can't go wrong with the older green sovtek big muffs. I was on a boutique pedal kick for a while, and even have a diamond overdrive. But you can't fake the classics.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal.

I got it when I started playing as something more than the button on my amp. Briefly tried the the "Overdrive" pedal but wanted "Distortion" and turbo sounded better
smile.gif
(I was new remember). I do like the Turbo I vs Turbo II settings which seems to give the pedal a lot of range.

With that, I have a mexican strat and a small fender amp. It isn't exactly the right combo for the music and sounds I am listening too lately...the guitar is so bright and the pedal doesn't exactly make the warmest sounds. I can't really justify a new guitar for how much I play though (though I'd like to try an epiphone les paul if it showed up at the right price)...maybe some string changes or a new pedal might give me a little different sound though.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I have the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal.

I got it when I started playing as something more than the button on my amp. Briefly tried the the "Overdrive" pedal but wanted "Distortion" and turbo sounded better
smile.gif
(I was new remember). I do like the Turbo I vs Turbo II settings which seems to give the pedal a lot of range.

With that, I have a mexican strat and a small fender amp. It isn't exactly the right combo for the music and sounds I am listening too lately...the guitar is so bright and the pedal doesn't exactly make the warmest sounds. I can't really justify a new guitar for how much I play though (though I'd like to try an epiphone les paul if it showed up at the right price)...maybe some string changes or a new pedal might give me a little different sound though.

You could put in a stacked dual coil humbucker if you want a heavier sound.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...t_rails_for_s/

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try out the barber trifecta. It's basically a big muff with more controls and a mid cut. I has one, but to be honest you really can't go wrong with the older green sovtek big muffs. I was on a boutique pedal kick for a while, and even have a diamond overdrive. But you can't fake the classics.

That sounds pretty great on the PGS demo. Thanks for the recommend! And it'll cut through the mix?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty great on the PGS demo. Thanks for the recommend! And it'll cut through the mix?

yeah, the mid cut is a push/pull that is a contour that will do just that. I like the pedal, I bought it to replace my brother's big muff which i did not have at the time, but again, I was looking for a big muff, not a clone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics