• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Egg whites

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Let's not lose sight of what's really important here, fellas: Conne worrying about the health detriments of eating EGGS, while noting elsewhere that he can't make it a full day without throwing a Snickers down his gullet.

I'm glad kwilk quoted that, because I went to that thread and C&P'ed for use here after reading the OP, only to see upon further reading that I wasn't the only one amused by the contradiction.

And for what it's worth, I eat three or four eggs daily and still have a much smaller waist than when I was avoiding whole eggs in favor of egg whites. You don't need to worry so much about calorie consumption from real food when you aren't throwing candy and other "treats" into your daily diet.

I wonder when people will realize that you need fat in your diet, and that fat, besides its many nutritive benefits, aids greatly in satiety. You have to cut your portion sizes. If you want to get thin and remain that way, you have to abandon the whole BS about eating a truck load of food. It's just not good for you.

But yes, we've been over the fact that Conne has absolutely no will power and extremely blue collar taste.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I wonder when people will realize that you need fat in your diet, and that fat, besides its many nutritive benefits, aids greatly in satiety. You have to cut your portion sizes. If you want to get thin and remain that way, you have to abandon the whole BS about eating a truck load of food. It's just not good for you.

But yes, we've been over the fact that Conne has absolutely no will power and extremely blue collar taste.

Drives me crazy when I hear fat people going on about how they need to have 25 servings of vegetables each day.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Let's not lose sight of what's really important here, fellas: Conne worrying about the health detriments of eating EGGS, while noting elsewhere that he can't make it a full day without throwing a Snickers down his gullet. I'm glad kwilk quoted that, because I went to that thread and C&P'ed for use here after reading the OP, only to see upon further reading that I wasn't the only one amused by the contradiction. And for what it's worth, I eat three or four eggs daily and still have a much smaller waist than when I was avoiding whole eggs in favor of egg whites. You don't need to worry so much about calorie consumption from real food when you aren't throwing candy and other "treats" into your daily diet.
+1 The only conceivable reason, as I see it, that someone should be eating egg whites solely, is if they are on a rapid fat loss diet eating both low fat and low carb. Even still, it's not really necessary.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Drives me crazy when I hear fat people going on about how they need to have 25 servings of vegetables each day.

Frozen vegetables, most likely.

And I bet they eat a **** ton of egg whites like DC, too.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The average person has no hope unless they take the initiative and pursue better information on the matter. They're fucked if they adhere to a lot of what the Food & Drug Administration says on good nutrition. We went through a whole "low fat" craze during the '90s and the country got progressively fatter.

It's unfortunate, because people subsequently get the idea that a truly healthy diet is something like bullshit "healthy" cereal, lots of whole grains, juice, etc. Avoid the fat! Minimize the protein! Load up the those carbs! It's working well for so many people thus far.

FWIW, probably 40 to 50 percent of my calories a day are from fat. Eggs, fish, olive oil, etc. I'm looking and feeling much better than when I was eating egg whites and lots of whole wheat bread.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm glad kwilk quoted that, because I went to that thread and C&P'ed for use here after reading the OP, only to see upon further reading that I wasn't the only one amused by the contradiction.

Wait a minute here. ^This makes it sound like we are supposed to be accountable for our poasts. If that's the case I'm going to have to re-think things when my membership is up for renewal.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem lies with the fact that the Food & Drug Administration, National Institute of Health, and the American Heart Association are having a hard time admitting that the dietary advice they have been recommending for the past 40 years has been almost assuredly false. Until they can muster the courage to do so, conventional wisdom and public opinion will be rather hard to sway.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 He gives no regard to nutrients, and the biggest concern of people on a diet; satiety. Typical, failing american approach to "healthy" eating: Find the best way possible to cram as much volume as possible into as few calories as possible. Stupid.
Way to entirely miss my point. By a giant ******* mile. I mean, wow. My ONLY point was that egg whites have fewer calories than eggs, and that those calorie savings add up as volume increases. Hence, this creates options for people, viz., to increase satiety. I did NOT suggest filling up in volume. Go back and ******* read. You 100% misread my post. I mean, a complete misreading.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Congratulations, you've sufficiently proven that you have no grasp on the concept of weight loss.

Calories out > calories in = weight loss. You're a moron.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Way to entirely miss my point. By a giant ******* mile. I mean, wow.

My ONLY point was that egg whites have fewer calories than eggs, and that those calorie savings add up as volume increases. Hence, this creates options for people, viz., to increase satiety. I did NOT suggest filling up in volume. Go back and ******* read.

You 100% misread my post. I mean, a complete misreading.

No, I did not. It still shows "100%", that you don't understand what you're talking about. Why eating that few calories in favor of volume, sacrificing nutrition and satiety would be a good option is completely beyond me.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, you'd have to be an a SUPER low deficit to worry about eating egg yolks. Like, dangerously low. We're talking sub 1200 for a normal male. There have been many peer reviewed studies on the benefits of fat for weight loss, largely because it keeps you full. Weight loss isn't simply calories in vs calories out. You have to consider how you are going to get those calories, and when you are in a big deficit, the few calories you take in must be filling, and must be sustainable. Eating disgusting **** like egg whites isn't sustainable for most people, nor does it make any sense nutritionally. The one time I met Nigella Lawson she told me how her then husband lost a ton of weight eating almost nothing but eggs, with yolks. The guy said he didn't even eat that many, and he didn't feel like he was really being put upon. Eggs, cooked right, are extremely luxurious, and combined with the very few calories they provide, are an extremely good thing for fat people to eat.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems to me like you get your information from Yahoo Health. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a perfect world, perhaps. The body doesn't operate as a calculator, waiting until the end of the day to tabulate calories taken in versus those expended; it works more like a blast furnace. Very simply put, it matters what kind of calories you're taking in and when. Not all calories were created equally and calories aren't used for the same functions all the time.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frozen vegetables, most likely.

And I bet they eat a **** ton of egg whites like DC, too.

It seems to me that if everybody had a little cutout of how big a piece of meat ought to be, and they used it, there would be many fewer fat people.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
i know what you are getting at but if you take out root vegetables it is almost impossble to over eat vegetables.

i logged my diet on fitday for a while out of curiosity, and one thing that stuck me was how far below the RDI of most vitamins and minerals i was. and i thought i was eating fairly well.

the way i acheived these RDIs was to start eating ALOT more vegetables (whole heads of brocolli, plates of spinach etc). i maintain that 90% of the population wouldnt be eating enough leafy green vegetables.

the other way i did it was eating more animal fats (like egg yolks) because heaps of the vitamins are only available in animal fats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads