• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How far would you go for a good tailor?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Third base? Kidding.

Now that I know the dead walk among us, I'll ask: How far would you travel to establish a tailoring relationship? At what point would it be just too much hassle?

For those who live in the same city as their tailors, or in a city that their tailor visits: If you had to make a lengthy trip for each fitting, would you still bother?

Thanks.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gone to Naples. I think going to the source and having at least one fitting with the person cutting/sewing the garment makes the most sense if you're going to make the financial commitment. Getting there every one to two years to do fittings on multiple garments is consistent with my needs at this point.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it goes something like this:
Big Timers travel to Naples
Bigger Timers have their tailors travel to them
No Timers™ read about it all on teh interwebz

doc, I thought you only bought rtw? Are you taking the plunge?
confused.gif

*For all teh Big Timers: there's a helluva lot of tailoring talent in Chicago right now. Just sayin.

bullethead

Reaction score
If I had to board a plane on my dime for fittings, I wouldn't bother. Too much added cost to already expensive (for me) garments.

Luckily, for me, I am in a city where there are options for every style/budget.

mlongano

Reaction score
I regularly travel 500 miles round trip to my tailor. Last year I made seven round trips.

I am seriously considering traveling 1,500 miles round trip to visit Chris Despos in Chicago. That would be a minimum of 4,500 miles for the standard three fittings, and 6,000 if it required a fourth visit.

A good tailor is worth the trip...a bad tailor is not worth getting up from the living room and walking to the family room for a fitting.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a great tailor in Berkeley that was a 10 minute walk when I lived there. Now that I live in SF, I still take the 45-ish minute trip. She takes in shoulders, shortens jackets, all the stuff that tailors rarely do, and after 3 years & who knows how many suits/shirts/trousers, understands how I like things to fit.

I'd still go if I had to travel 2 hours.

dbc

Reaction score
Singapore to Hong Kong.

So about 1600 miles/ 3.5 hours flight time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About 3 hours by car (Chicago) or a couple of hours by plane (DC or NYC).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see much difference traveling from the States to Naples to have a suit made than just going to Macy's and picking up a Calvin Klein suit off the rack for $200.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
I travel a couple of hours to mine. Shires to Oxford or London doesn't count?

I think you do it as a cost factor. I go to places I can go anyway, and do often enough for pleasure anyway to take in a tailor.

I obviously enjoy clothing because I am here, but for the most part, it's about building up a solid wardrobe, and not pure pleasure and hobbying, and I'm lucky enough to be in easyish reach of useful locations. If I was in thewilderness of rural america or whatever, I think I would take what I could get, or work on places I had reason to pass through a few times a year. Otherwise you factor in the cost of the travel to the cost of a suit, which may or may not suit your holiday plans or wallet.

Seems to me once it becomes more than trivial, it becomes an economic rather than sartorial factor.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would sooner buy a machine and learn the craft myself thru trial and error than to go to great lengths to find a "good tailor". FWIW OTR fits me pretty darn good and as long as I don't start "critique my suit" thread I should be OK.

cronicmole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I don't see much difference traveling from the States to Naples to have a suit made than just going to Macy's and picking up a Calvin Klein suit off the rack for $200.

Think about what you just typed.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I would sooner buy a machine and learn the craft myself thru trial and error

You would sooner walk to Naples and back than learn the craft yourself through trial and error.

AncientSoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
You would sooner walk to Naples and back than learn the craft yourself through trial and error.
Well said. +1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics