• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Quitting Vegetarianism.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let a pro do it for you, on the cheap too. Go get you some sashimi.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I haven't decided on a meal, just meant that I've decide to quit so debating the merits of not eating meat can be done elsewhere.

Would be open to any meal recs from you Pio. I'm willing to drop a few bucks at whole foods and spend some time cooking but remember I know absolutely nothing about preparing meat.

Thanks for the faith but I will readily admit there's some folks here that will lead you to animal protein bliss better than I. Unless you go the foie route
smile.gif

I will tell you I recently had the best portion of fish in my life. It is called "black cod" or "butterfish" and I'm sure it has other names. So damn good. I mean, best piece of fish in my life and I would say better than probably 80% of the steaks I've had in my life.

Hmm, an easy and eff'ing delish thing would be to braise pork bellies. There's a NYT recipe here somewhere. I'd find it for you but my search function hasn't worked for a few weeks. I first saw it posted by Edian. I can tell you it takes some time but is easy. Here's a pic of one of my efforts at it:

In the braising liquid:

IMG_1078.jpg

All dressed with the Bourbon sauce and crisped up on the grill:

IMG_1085.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I would roll with a rare rib eye but that's just me. Salt and pepper and that's about it.

Pio- what was this magic fish dish?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Let a pro do it for you, on the cheap too. Go get you some sashimi.
Prob will do that Thursday (this good sushi place on Charles Street has happy hour prices that would make you cry) but I still need to eat something that had shed copious blood for proper drama and fanfare. May do it this weekend in DC. Too bad you'l be in Zurich.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a variety of reasons (changed personal philosophy, my workout goals and foodie gf among them) I am quitting over eight years of not eating meat. Feel free to offer up advice or congratulations.

I haven't decided what meal to officially break vegetarianism with but am looking to do some relatively gourmet home-cooking and have maybe a small dinner party.

x43EKP3oXn34c0zxYNriN5jgo1_500.gif

i don't have any scientific evidence or a good sample size, but the majority of true vegetarians (the guys who really ever don't eat animal meat) always seem to be cranky and asshole-ish.

most of my vegetarian co-workers and friends always seem to have an A-hole edge to them.

but anyone who's just eaten a nice plate of bacon - 100% of them are calm and satisfied.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
x43EKP3oXn34c0zxYNriN5jgo1_500.gif

i don't have any scientific evidence or a good sample size, but the majority of true vegetarians (the guys who really ever don't eat animal meat) always seem to be cranky and asshole-ish.

most of my vegetarian co-workers and friends always seem to have an A-hole edge to them.

but anyone who's just eaten a nice plate of bacon - 100% of them are calm and satisfied.

in the past, when I have been on extremely low fat diets, I have been an asshole. I think that fat does keep you calmer. just saying

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has ever accused me of being a calm, nice and laidback guy and I doubt this will change that. But at least I'll progress in the gym a lot faster!
smile.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has ever accused me of being a calm, nice and laidback guy and I doubt this will change that. But at least I'll progress in the gym a lot faster!

^ plate of bacon will calm you right into a 2 hour sleep paralysis nap.

bacon.jpg

I suggest your 2nd meal after your high fallutin artsy fartsy introduction to meat meal - be a plate of bacon.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Humans are not biological omnivores. The risk of eating raw meat is one clue.
now youve made me want to run the risk of eating steak tartare or capaccio for dinner tonight maybe some ceviche for lunch

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I sense a nice pastrami on rye with russian dressing in your future bubulah.
Oh, Christ. I was out camping in the desert for two weeks living off of nothing but dried fruit and nuts; first place I hit when I got home was Carnegie Deli. Had a "Woody Allen", which is roughly 3 pounds of pastrami and corned beef. Tasted sublime.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal

Pio- what was this magic fish dish?

Not sure exactly how they cooked it. Might have been seared. But the fish itself was just incredible.

Wjleier

Reaction score
So happy for you! Welcome back to sensible behavior. I would reccomend something dellicious and *****. Maybe a bone in rib eye or a duck breast! If your gf is a foodie i'm sure she will find a way to make you happy to be back on the dark side!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads