• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Way To Bring Money Overseas

af1snaikboi

Reaction score
Are AMEX traveler's checks the best way to bring money overseas? (To Paris)

My bank (BofA) does have a partnership with BNP which will allow me free atm uses, but am wondering if I will get stung on the exchange rate?

Thanks

scourage

Reaction score
no they are not.

They are relics from the days when atms were not as common as today and people feared carrying 1000's of dollars. you have to pay for them right? and who really wants to accept a travellers check. I sure as hell wouldn't want to. Don't think banks screw you on the exchange rate. im sure you can look it up

Originally Posted by af1snaikboi
Are AMEX traveler's checks the best way to bring money overseas? (To Paris)

My bank (BofA) does have a partnership with BNP which will allow me free atm uses, but am wondering if I will get stung on the exchange rate?

Thanks

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
amex credit card

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some cash in the local currency and a credit card. I'm travelling in a few days and I'll carry mostly my Amex and maybe 50 euro.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use an ATM, carry a small amount of cash

Sazerac

Reaction score
The exchange rates from ATM's overseas are almost always better than what you can get changing currency in the U.S. before you depart. Change no more than you'll need for the first few hours in country, enough for cab fare and a bite to eat. Then hit up an ATM (not at the airport) when you arrive in the city where you're staying. (Also, don't exchange money at the hotel desk.)

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Use a Capital One credit card. They are one of the few (if not the only one) who charge no foreign transaction fees. Their elite card, the Venture, offers good perks on top of this.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
Use a Capital One credit card. They are one of the few (if not the only one) who charge no foreign transaction fees. Their elite card, the Venture, offers good perks on top of this.

+1 on Capital One cc.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TM...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a HSBC account you can exchange currency without a fee in that country.

xpress

Reaction score
I know up here in Canada I often run into businesses which will not accept Amex.

Some frequent Euro-travelers could certainly enlighten you more then I, but I would be worried about acceptance.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
If you have a HSBC account you can exchange currency without a fee in that country.

I think I did get charged when I used an HSBC ATM in other countries (Mexico and the Philippines is where I've tried it). I got refunded for an ATM fee but not a foreign transaction fee of 1%.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...reign_Exchange

looks like its 3% now...but 0% if you have an HSBC Premiere account.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually change about $100-200 to the local currency before I leave, and use ATMs although the last couple times I've travelled abroad, I haven't taken any cash with me. As stated earlier, ATM exchange rates are better than those you get from currency exchanges.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
The exchange rates from ATM's overseas are almost always better than what you can get changing currency in the U.S. before you depart. Change no more than you'll need for the first few hours in country, enough for cab fare and a bite to eat. Then hit up an ATM (not at the airport) when you arrive in the city where you're staying. (Also, don't exchange money at the hotel desk.)

Yup exactly my strategy... grab a few bucks from the ATM at the airport and then the additional cash from an ATM in the city where I'm staying. ATMs have the most favorable rates (except at the airport where they usually add an extra 3% or so).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics