• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Quitting Vegetarianism.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Any risk of eating raw meat comes mostly from the conditions in which that animal was raised. Under the right circumstances, even chicken can safely be consumed raw. Humans are most certainly omnivorous.

+1. most species of primates have been observed eating meat, occasionally.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Humans are not biological omnivores. The risk of eating raw meat is one clue.

Eating many raw plants can kill us. so what should we do there?

I'm serious Nosu.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
+1. most species of primates have been observed eating meat, occasionally.
What is the point? Humans have been observed eating raw meat also, that doesn't mean it's biologically appropriate.
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Eating many raw plants can kill us. so what should we do there?
Any risk of eating raw meat comes mostly from the conditions in which that animal was raised. Under the right circumstances, even chicken can safely be consumed raw. Humans are most certainly omnivorous.
Animals that are biologically equipped for eating meat have acids and digestive processes that kill the bacteria and a short digestive tract, humans don't.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Magician!

I wish I was there to witness the first bite.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Animals that are biologically equipped for eating meat have acids and digestive processes that kill the bacteria and a short digestive tract, humans don't.

OJFC. And neither do humans have multiple stomachs.

FYI, why don't you do some reading concerning what allowed humans the capacity to develop our outsized brains? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't our ability to eat granola.

One minute of Google-fu:

http://www.wsu.edu:8001/vwsu/gened/l...mans-2two.html

Surprisingly, a big brain is not an obvious evolutionary advantage--at least not immediately. For example, a large brain requires an inordinate amount of care and feeding--a diet high in protein--and exquisite temperature control in order to function properly. Increases in brain size would therefore drive changes in early human diets, because of the need to increase the intake of protein. While human species remained ominivorous, a preference for meat-eating did in fact occur over time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the point? Humans have been observed eating raw meat also, that doesn't mean it's biologically appropriate.

what is "biologically appropriate"? why is an animal going to eat something that isn't right for him that is found in his natural environment?

herbavores have multiple guts to digest all that green ****. humans have guts like pigs, omnivores.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is "biologically appropriate"? why is an animal going to eat something that isn't right for him that is found in his natural environment?

herbavores have multiple guts to digest all that green ****. humans have guts like pigs, omnivores.

There could be several reasons why an animal eats something that isn't right for it. Why do animals ********? Why was the woman on TV drinking laundry detergent? I don't know, but I'm sure there's a scientific study for it somewhere.

In response to your second part, there's evidence that humans may have been frugivores.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the point is that the human brain is around 60% fat, and by not consuming those essential ***** acids and vitamins found in meat and animal products, e.g., omega-3, vitamin b12, you are essentially starving your brain. And don't try to purport that we can get all the omega-3s we need from flaxseed either. The type found in flax is ALA, which is poorly converted into the forms actually utilized by the brain, DHA and EPA (women can convert ALA better than men)*. *http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There could be several reasons why an animal eats something that isn't right for it. Why do animals ********? Why was the woman on TV drinking laundry detergent? I don't know, but I'm sure there's a scientific study for it somewhere.

in nature, indivuduals eat stuff that isn't good for it when they are nuts. when an animal eats something like dirt, its because it needs the nutrients in that dirt. when an animal eats some kind of artifact, that is just a confused animal/person

In response to your second part, there's evidence that humans may have been frugivores.

sure, similar to chimps - but chimps eat meat, occasionally

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, we "may have been" frugivores at a certain point in evolutionary history. However, we now are not, and for good reason. Unless you'd like to go back to the period of **** erectus, and have the brain size half of our current, there really should be no argument.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the point is that the human brain is around 60% fat, and by not consuming those essential ***** acids and vitamins found in meat and animal products, e.g., omega-3, vitamin b12, you are essentially starving your brain. And don't try to purport that we can get all the omega-3s we need from flaxseed either. The type found in flax is ALA, which is poorly converted into the forms actually utilized by the brain, DHA and EPA (women can convert ALA better than men)*.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

I wouldn't have considered flax, but walnuts instead. I use a daily serving.

sure, similar to chimps - but chimps eat meat, occasionally

Yes they do, so do humans. It's a toleration but when you look at the anatomy of a human, it's equipped for a plant or fruit based diet.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/1...of-eating.html

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.purifymind.com/HumansOmnivores.htm

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, it's not a question if humans are omnivorous by behavior, but if they are herbivores anatomically.
Just a few things
Our closest relatives among the apes are the chimpanzees (i.e., anatomically, behaviorally, genetically, and evolutionarily), who frequently kill and eat other mammals (including other primates).
Nearly all plant eaters have fermenting vats (enlarged chambers where foods sits and microbes attack it). Ruminants like cattle and deer have forward sacs derived from remodeled esophagus and stomach. Horses, rhinos, and colobine monkeys have posterior, hindgut sacs. Humans have no such specializations.
Salivary Glands These indicate we could be omnivores. Saliva and urine data vary, depending on diet, not taxonomic group.
Conclusion Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological, ethical, and health concerns. [Dr. McArdle is a vegetarian and currently Scientific Advisor to The American Anti-Vivisection Society. He is an anatomist and a primatologist.]
*Note- the article was written like garbage. That said, all of the information to substantiate and back the claims is readily available.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have considered flax, but walnuts instead. I use a daily serving.

Same deal as flax. Not to say there is no benefit whatsoever to the presence of ALA, but the DHA and EPA most utilized is found only in animal products, particularly fish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads