• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wondering about these shoes

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in the infancy stages of re-tooling my wardrobe and I need to start with a couple pairs of shoes for work. I saw these and I like the look of a cap toe, and it says they're cordovan which surprised me due to the lack of any bidding and the low price.

As I'm just getting into men's fashion, I'm not completely up to speed on where Florsheim sits in the realm of shoes. Understandably they don't carry their name like AE or Alden, but are they fairly solid in quality for the money? I like the burgundy color as I wear a lot of navy and gray slacks.

Thoughts on these shoes? Any red flags? Thanks in advance fellas.

Florsheim Vintage Cordovan Cap Toe

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim can be perfectly good, but those are not cordovan.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Vintage Florsheim can be perfectly good, but those are not cordovan.

Thanks for the follow-up Sanguis.

Without a trained eye, what are some things I need to look for to determine cordovan from other variations of leather?

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer
Thanks for the follow-up Sanguis.

Without a trained eye, what are some things I need to look for to determine cordovan from other variations of leather?

1.5 - 2 times the price of the other really nice shoes.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Color is cordovan (burgundy) but the leather is not "shell cordovan". Worn cordovan has "smooth" wrinkles without the fine lines (that these shoes have).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X2 those are not cordovan. "Vintage" is a meaningless term. What you're looking for are the Made in the USA variety, as current outsourced shoes are not up to par. The lack of pictures is also worrisome as there are no pics of the interior or exterior sole.

That price is great if they are Made in the USA Florsheims with some life left in the soles.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
X2 those are not cordovan. "Vintage" is a meaningless term. What you're looking for are the Made in the USA variety, as current outsourced shoes are not up to par. The lack of pictures is also worrisome as there are no pics of the interior or exterior sole.

That price is great if they are Made in the USA Florsheims with some life left in the soles.

If you scroll down, there are a lot of pictures of the shoes. Admittedly I don't know what I'm looking for when it comes to where they are made. The soles look pretty solid from what I can see as well. Here are some screens:

c490c442f3d0d8001f0896a8b5a7f74b.png

529a661e9e0025d923067301a5f94bbc.png

490ada56bb1ff94efd0030667161913a.png

5d2f37e2dc495897389e951371eeb8b2.png

Thanks for the insight Harvey.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I would pass.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
those look not as bulky and annoying as florshiem usually is. Go for it if the price is low enough.

JRB

Reaction score
If the bid doesn't go up much, how can you go wrong?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads