• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy has a question and introduction

Reaction score
Good evening gents. I'm new here. So I say hello to you. I'm a 28 year old Production/Coordinator/cinematographer looking to some day make it big. When I'm not shooting something or pining over camera lenses and such, I love to get dressed up for a day walking about in the big almost bottomless NYC. I'm new to making myself look the right way, but to not having a good eye for things. When I work, I usually wear jeans and shoes, for sometimes, I leave my production coordination role and help with shoots. That revolves around lifting things and such, so keeping clean does not usually happen as much as I'd like.

But, on the weekends, when I go out, and make it to NYC, I love look nice. Forgive me for what question I will be asking, but I'm not in NYC yet, but in NJ. Does anybody know a reputable cobbler in Bergen County or around? Maybe an old italian guy who knows his way around shoes? Or, well you guys have a knack for quality. Could you recommend me a guy/gal?

Also, what does the budget conscious individual do to look sharp? or Go? I fear my tastes are getting expensive with my age. I'm not a fan of express. My style is more kind of dressy hipster. That seems like such a dirty word. If I were to describe my likes based on music, I think of Interpol or the Secret Machines. And movies, David Lynch.

Once again, a pleasure to meet you all.

Easter

Reaction score
Holy crap your writing is incredibly bad

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Easter
Holy crap your writing is incredibly bad

Jeez, lots of douchebags around here.

Nice to meet you, I guess. Your questions are pretty vague, I'd suggest looking around the forum (particularly the WAYWT? thread) and seeing what you like/don't like to get a sense of how you want to dress. Look to the stickied threads to ask more questions. Definitely wait around a while before you start buying a lot of stuff. Enjoy your time here, you'll learn a lot if you lurk around for a while.

Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate your kind reply. As for the other guy, try doing what I do and having some sort of ability to write after 1 AM.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to look around more.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Tenafly. There are some decent cobblers in Fort Lee. They're more the "korean immigrant" type rather than the "old dude who knows shoes" but they're cheap and decent. You might find better answers in the "men's clothing" section.

Also, go to Uniqlo. They have lots of cheap basics and you can certainly cobble together a "dressy hipster" outfit as you call it.

For future reference, there are stickied threads at the top for questions like these. Also, your long winded dissertation on your existence is unnecessary just makes your question harder to find.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My advice: don't dress yourself or ask for clothing advice based on what music and movies you like. Just be your self. I'm in no way trying to be a dick here, but ask yourself, do I really like David Lynch, or do I like the idea of David Lynch movies and what they stand for? I went to film shool with so many pretentious kids who "liked David Lynch." If you were to ask me, he's made some interesting and groundbreaking movies, but a lot of his stuff is flawed, and just plain bad. I'd say he's pretty ok as a filmmaker. If you really like him, no judgements, to each his own. But don't formulate your wardrobe around "liking David Lynch." There are enough people in New York and LA doing that already.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
My advice: don't dress yourself or ask for clothing advice based on what music and movies you like. Just be your self. I'm in no way trying to be a dick here, but ask yourself, do I really like David Lynch, or do I like the idea of David Lynch movies and what they stand for? I went to film shool with so many pretentious kids who "liked David Lynch." If you were to ask me, he's made some interesting and groundbreaking movies, but a lot of his stuff is flawed, and just plain bad. I'd say he's pretty ok as a filmmaker. If you really like him, no judgements, to each his own. But don't formulate your wardrobe around "liking David Lynch." There are enough people in New York and LA doing that already.

this is great advice. take it.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to disagree as my entire wardrobe essentially consists of and is based on a post-Herzog type aesthetic

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker

I like his hair and his foray into electronic music. That's about it.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
this is great advice. take it.

Indeed. If I dressed to reflect the movies and music I enjoy, I'd look like some combination of this:

Zardoz_zed.jpg

this:

World_Class_Wreckin%27_Cru.jpeg

and this:

Dream_theater_in_1985.jpg

Trust me, no one here wants to see that.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would be a cross between colin firth in a single man and donnie darko with a sprinkle of Remo Williams for good measure

G0079

Reaction score
I'd be the guy getting stabbed. Dude's a post apocalyptic pimp.
2JCIk.jpg

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
In terms of budget, are you a member of Gilt (gilt.com)? You can get some pretty high-end stuff at good prices over there.

Oh, and David Lynch owns. Sure, he is inconsistent as hell, but he created Twin Peaks and directed The Straight Story. That's enough for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads