• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Ya, thats some seriously dated Canali c '92-ish. I seem them regularly and its an instant pass.

You might consider giving it to someone. I had a similar Corneliani, Armani and Canali Proposta that I gave to a dude working on my house... guy was so appreciative you wouldnt believe it. He even kept one of the jackets on when he left. Productivity and quality increased for the rest of the time he worked for me.

Well, it was pretty much free, since I got it with a coupon, so giving it away wouldn't hurt too much.
At least, it was free. I took it to the tailors at Nordstrom today to have the sleeves lengthened to fit me. The salesman was like, "that style is, uh, well - it's quality workmanship".
facepalm.gif

Live and learn.
I'll wear it around for awhile and see how I like it.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I wish i could. The last loro piana deer skin coat which had less features than this one and more wear went for like 1790 bucks, and i need the money (temporarily unemployed). Sorry man
frown.gif

No worries, csouk. If you say it went for over 1790 then I'd want you to get close to that amount especially since you're unemployed.
smile.gif

Very nice coat though

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76
Nice pickups today. 3 Zegna and 1 Brioni tie. Will probably throw all of these on the B&S forum since they're not really my style.
DSC00383.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

Also found a pair of black Zanella wool in really nice condition. And a brand new unhemmed pair of navy blue Jil Sander pants that were made of cotton, nylon and spandex. Both just need a few slight alterations and will be good to go. Paid $9 total for both pairs of pants.

I'll look out for 1 or 2 of the Zegnas!

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I took it to the tailors at Nordstrom today to have the sleeves lengthened to fit me. The salesman was like, "that style is, uh, well - it's quality workmanship".
facepalm.gif

Live and learn.

Sorry but i laughed a bit when i read that.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
NWOT Tailorbyrd?

Had Tailorbyrd shirt I thrifted whose pattern I liked a LOT, but it was, alas, too small. I ended up reluctantly giving it back to GW (and coming across it again the next week at a different store, haha). Quality wise, it didn't seem much better than Banana Republic, though, and I've come across some other shirts by them that are Capital H Hi-De-Ous

Originally Posted by contrarycomet
laugh.gif

Dude, if you're on the prowl for pieces like that EB, you'll get no competition from me.
laugh.gif

fight[1].gif

Haha, no, it's just odd to have two other people talk about a specific place that I know. Now when I go into the Goodwills, I'm eyeing everyone up and down: "Is he one of Us?" It's like when you start dating someone, you kinda forget for a little while that other people were there first
smile.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartlebooth
Had Tailorbyrd shirt I thrifted whose pattern I liked a LOT, but it was, alas, too small. I ended up reluctantly giving it back to GW (and coming across it again the next week at a different store, haha). Quality wise, it didn't seem much better than Banana Republic, though, and I've come across some other shirts by them that are Capital H Hi-De-Ous

fight[1].gif

Haha, no, it's just odd to have two other people talk about a specific place that I know. Now when I go into the Goodwills, I'm eyeing everyone up and down: "Is he one of Us?" It's like when you start dating someone, you kinda forget for a little while that other people were there first
smile.gif

Barb

Dont worry about this guy! I told you my secret spots in SF. Now keep that between us and you're good to go.
laugh.gif

contrarycomet

Reaction score
smile.gif

LOL. I was out doing the do this weekend and overheard some guy boasting about bagging a Brioni at a GW. Probably an orphan, but I still wanted to cut him.
laugh.gif
When you're a Jet...

Hm. SF swap meet? Or has that been done to death?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
forrgot to post pics of the Loden Frey duffle coat i found a little while back that's mint, and fits perfect. Unfortunately i can't use it often, because it just doesn't stay cold in Texas for long.
0012.jpg
0032.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good weekend. Lots of bits and pieces, but the highlights were:

* Older Burberry DB trench coat.
* Zegna for Wilkes Bashford SC. Includes a label that says "Centoventimila" -- I think this refers to the fabric, but anyone know for sure?

Not sure. Literally it means "120000", so maybe it refers to Super 120s, just as 15Mil15 refers to Super 150s fabric.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Barb Dont worry about this guy! I told you my secret spots in SF. Now keep that between us and you're good to go.
laugh.gif

How'd you decide to go with "Barb" from a name that starts with "Bart," by the way? And really, are there any "secret spots" in SF, if you're a resident? There's GW, SA, and Out of the Closet. The first centrally distributes, and the others only have a handful of stores. If you've figured out which ones tag shirts through the yoke (
ffffuuuu.gif
) and which ones overprice, you've pretty much figured out which ones aren't the secret spots.
LOL. I was out doing the do this weekend and overheard some guy boasting about bagging a Brioni at a GW. Probably an orphan, but I still wanted to cut him.
laugh.gif
When you're a Jet... Hm. SF swap meet? Or has that been done to death?

That actually might be interesting??? There's the SF meet up, but I don't think any other thrifters were there (were you guys?). I went to the last meet up and listened to those guys talk about their Neapolitan tailor's recommendations for cleaning their sport coats and which fabrics they chose for their bespoke pants, while I'm wearing an outfit of entirely thrifted pieces.
laugh.gif
How many of us thrifters are in SF?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ At the next one, ask them where and when they're going to make their next clothing donation!
laugh.gif
I know a couple SF big-timers who don't sell on B/S, but donate their stuff instead. Pejsek (SF thrifter who used to find mind-blowing stuff) was almost positive he found some uber high-end shoes from a certain SFer from time to time. I think he did find an old WAYWN photo of the member wearing the same shoes!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bartlebooth;4209244 said:
How'd you decide to go with "Barb" from a name that starts with "Bart," by the way?

QUOTE]

lol8[1].gif

I've always referred to you as "barbletooth"! I think I'm dyslexic.
facepalm.gif

csoukoulis

Reaction score
I went to the last meet up and listened to those guys talk about their Neapolitan tailor's recommendations for cleaning their sport coats and which fabrics they chose for their bespoke pants, while I'm wearing an outfit of entirely thrifted pieces.
laugh.gif
How many of us thrifters are in SF?

I'm proud when i put together a good outfit with thrifted items.

Here's today's Brioni heavy ensemble lol:

Brioni 100% cashmere sport coat - 7 bucks
Brioni shirt - 4 bucks
Brioni pants - 5 bucks
Shell Cordovan Aldens - 6 Bucks

Not to shabby for 22 bucks!

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
i plan on scoring huge tomorrow. simply because i haven't found anything awesome in like a month.

Yea, tomorrow im going back to the place i found my shoes last week hoping they have more stuff they hadnt put out yet. I need more stuff for me LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics