• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
What's the deal with saddle shoes? They look like golf shoes to me. Are they supposed to?

Actually, I think golf shoes are supposed to look like saddle shoes. This is my first pair and I thought they would be a change of pace to my other Aldens. I don't like saddles when there is too much contrast between the two leathers, but as these are both fairly dark, I think they look sharp. (And worst case scenario, I will have my local cobbler add spikes and I will have my most expensive pair of golf shoes.)

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alden.jpg

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeangenie
does the woodlore ultra have a higher vamp than alden shoe trees?

Yes, the Ultra has a higher "vamp". The standard Alden branded ones (made by Rochester, I believe) are pretty flat. I much prefer the Ultra. Overall finish is excellent, less likely to mar the lining of the shoes.

BTW, I would recommend using some emery parer (aka sand paper) to sand down the rough edges of any shoe trees before use.

jeangenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
Yes, the Ultra has a higher "vamp". The standard Alden branded ones (made by Rochester, I believe) are pretty flat. I much prefer the Ultra. Overall finish is excellent, less likely to mar the lining of the shoes.

BTW, I would recommend using some emery parer (aka sand paper) to sand down the rough edges of any shoe trees before use.

would the ultra serve better than the alden rochester rebrands for alden plaza boots?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color belts are you pairing up Color 8 with?

lummers13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbernie
Newest Acquisitions:
Blackbird Shortwing
Whiskey LWB

Nice pickups! Almost the same as me, except I have the #8 LWB. I'll post pics tomorrow, we all love a little Alden Appreciation yeah?

Although I'm thinking about trading the #8 for Cigar....any thoughts?

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeangenie
would the ultra serve better than the alden rochester rebrands for alden plaza boots?

Yes, I would think so, but you may have to experiment with different sizes of trees and find out the best fit. These off-the-shelf trees come in limited sizes, yet shoes and boots are made in a whole spectrum of sizes. The sizing chart/guide provided by Woodlore/Allen Edmonds is useful but may not work for everyone.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
I would recommend using some emery parer (aka sand paper) to sand down the rough edges of any shoe trees before use.

I send my shoe trees down to the local woodworking shop for a complete go-over before I put them in my shoes - don't want to mar the inside of the shoes!

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
I send my shoe trees down to the local woodworking shop for a complete go-over before I put them in my shoes - don't want to mar the inside of the shoes!
I use 160 grit sandpaper then finish them off with 220 grit.

JOA

Reaction score
I know this isn't the place for this, but...

I have a pair of Alden Wingtip boots from Alden of Carmel I'm looking to move. #8 Pebble Grain Shell. Commando soles. Rare and beautiful boots. Size 8.5 D on the Barrie last. Never worn. Will come with Alden shoe bags and trees, but no box.

PM me for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads